1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter once again. Although I do wish the author would move the plot along a little more. We know Harry is the new god of the Star Wars Universe, but now I want him to meet up with Bellatrix and another Sith.

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The middle of this chapter dragged a bit (lots of tell instead of show) but it definitely picked up again at the end.

3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    HK applied economics +1
    Harry usable rags +1
    As always Harry continues to wreck havoc every place he steps in.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Which is starting to get boring.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

When was the last time there was anything even remotely resembling a challenge for Harry in this fic?

It's just... boring. Nothing really exciting happens. Oh look, another chapter where Harry gets to show off.

You can use HK and his propensity for violence only so much before even he becomes boring.

6. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you expect a short ride ,with escalation fit Nartuo late manga.
    Things slowly escalate, the author hinted regarding it in various places.
    While Harry gain more resource is SW world, he loose resource from his own home.
    The more actions he takes he more time all parties have to learn and try plan how to deal with them or around them.
    This fic deals with the repeals his havoc cause in the galaxy far far away.

He forced both the Sith and Jedi to face the challenges he put in-front of them and evolve (especially the last group).
    They won't just pull some bunny from the hat it will be slow, I expect more time skips
    When the current adventure in Corellia ends.

At the moment I enjoy a good story telling, I think the Author is aware of the issues, and if he isn't PM/Review, or even invite him here.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The point of this fic is hardly about the challenge of it. At least so far. For me at least, it's about the humor, and about moments and characters who manage to surprise us (like Kenobi in the recent chapter, for example).

Perhaps it's not as serious or with as high stakes as other fics, but it's a fun ride. Mostly.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

While I agree with your statement of this story's intent, there's only so much of the same comedy you can use before it becomes a parody; this last chapter is it for me. The way HK handles his task, in particular, pushes my suspension of disbelief to the extreme. It is no longer funny; it is old and redundant.

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm still having shit tons of fun with it, personally. Darth Maul was a challenge, which implies that Harry vs. Multiple Jedi, Harry vs. Yoda, Harry vs. Palpatine, etc., would all qualify as 'problems' for Harry.

It might have been a while since he had a real challenge he couldn't solve easily enough... but at the same time, there have been more minor challenges and it's been fun watching him figure out how to fix them, even if there was never any worry that he would.

Plus there's stuff going on in the background. Personally I'm really fond of how so many 'good' characters are passing on information regarding Harry to Palpatine, purposefully or not. It's something that wasn't really shown so well in canon - we saw in the movies how powerful Palpatine was and how much political clout he had, but here we see hints of just how many pies he had fingers in if a threat like Harry ever showed up to fuck with him. He barely has to try to get information because he's such a politically powerful 'good guy' and all the lesser good guys trust him, etc.

I'm actually fine with how things are now because for me the story has kept escalating. I don't feel like the initial roller coaster ride is over. It hasn't stalled at the top and started spinning it's wheels for me.

Even in this last chapter Harry is dealing with lawyers, dealing with Corsec, bartering information, plotting about getting along with jedi, and generally doing things that aren't just gratuitous, humorous combat. Even if there is a ton of the latter.

...that said, I can see why some people might get bored with it. I'm just not one of them, not yet at least.

Edit: Though admittedly it did seem a little bit too easy that HK-47 just waltzed into Black Sun HQ and took out the leadership with a lightsaber. The droid is a badass but that screwed with my suspension of disbelief.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  10. KLI2

KLI2 Squib

High Score:
    While this fic does have action in it, the way in which Harry just constantly wipes the floor with them alongside HK really takes out any suspense or sense of conflict as you can predict that things will always go his way. However this fic, if you ignore the lack of real conflict has some great humour and is a decent read overall. 3.5/5

11. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat Second Year

High Score:
    Pros:
    > Humor is spot on hilarious and nobody can pretend otherwise
    > HK is like a violence prone version of Dobby (some might not like it, but I find it amusing)
    > Those poor jedi who have no clue what's happening
    > Captain Harry's 'Free ALL the slaves' drive. Now coming to the hutt near you!
    > Very engaging writing. That itself is worth all the stars in the galaxy far far away.

Cons
    > Is there a plot or is there not a plot? That is the question.
    > Harry and co are tethering on the edge of super!protagonists category
    > Magic seems to have no limits at all. Apparate to anywhere within sight? Sure! Fidelius an entire freaking space station housing an entire freakin organization of thousands? Why not! Use Animate-to-inanimate human transfiguration left right and center? Pfft! Harry's casual use of supposed advanced magic on a galactic scale is getting ridiculous.
    > Update. Please update. Pretty please?

Rating: 4/5

12. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

This updated.

I rather liked the characters and interactions introduced, they there was a bit much of Bonnie IMO. Story looks to be ramping up again next chapter, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, since I haven't rated this yet; 4/5 from me.

I'm not familiar with Star Wars bar big Trilogy stuff, so HK was a fun new thing. The joke's run its course though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall some time soon, a la Dobby in Malfoy mansion. As has been pointed out, it's overdue for something to go bad for Harry anyway.

Great writing. Very engaging.

13. gokieks

gokieks First Year

The tone of the story is silly and absurd enough that I don't feel like it necessarily needs to have any major setbacks for Harry, at least not any long-lasting ones.

And HK is one of the most beloved characters among both Star Wars and BioWare fans, and looking at the other works of the author, I dare say he is likely as much a fan of those as HP if not more, so I'd actually be very surprised if HK goes anywhere. I personally certainly wouldn't want to see that, as his writing of HK has been fantastic.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the latest chapter...

Jesus Christ Tumblr.

15. projectazuh

projectazuh Squib

High Score:
    HK is a blast (literally) and I don't mind Harry being as he is. However there doesn't seem to be any overarching plot except for his on again off again relationship with the Jedi. Personally I wouldn't like to see Bellatrix, I think that crossover stories lose a great deal when other HP characters are introduced and end up basically becoming somewhat godlike in the universe with it basically just being Wizards vs The Universe or Wizards using the universe as a giant playground within which to have temper tantrums. Anyway, hopefully the next chapter will help establish a coherent arc for the story to follow rather than continuing with the 'Doctor Who esque' premise of Harry turns up, then helps save the day in unorthodox manner using abilities and knowledge nobody else in the universe has.

16. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

The side story just updated, and we start seeing the galaxy push back.

17. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

New update to Havoc Side We get no real plot movement.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Half of this chapter had already been covered in the side story a month ago.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah it was a mistake to release the side story perspective before the main story.

20. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that weird. I just finished catching up with this story last week, and then caught up on the side stuff, only to see that it somehow got ahead of the main story. Pretty bad choice imo.