1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Jenova Project by Mr. Ite - T - FFVII

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scott, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Title: The Jenova Project
    Author: Mr. Ite
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
    Fandom: Final Fantasy 7
    Pairings: None (so far)
    Summary: This is a novelization of Final Fantasy VII. It was originally written before the Compilation existed, and has been tinkered with across the years. It still does not follow Compilation canon, so some may consider this AU. Book I fully uploaded.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3122672/1/The-Jenova-Project

So as novelization go this one is definitely worth the read. It follows the plot of the game but it's different enough that it doesn't feel like your just reading the game instead of playing it, if that makes sense. It's really well-written, the dialogue flows naturally and the characterization is great.

I actually talked to the author in around 2015 and he was finishing up the second book. He said this one (first one) was suppose to be around 200k words and was finished. I know he had the whole thing posted at one point a few years ago before he took it down for a rewrite.

5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I'm fairly certain I've read this before because I've went searching for Final Fantasy FF that's good. And this came up on the list. I like it. Its AU for sure. Hopefully the author reuploads the others. But I've seen many times where they pull it for a rewrite and never end up putting it back up.

4/5, one of the better FFVII fics I've read.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing is really shit in this. The author has a really poor grasp of how dialogue tags and beats work. On the plus side, he errs on the side of caution when it comes to brevity, and that's the saving grace. There's a terse, tightly controlled style to this which is relatively uncommon outside professional works, and that carries it through the (abundant) grammatical errors. Spelling seems to be more or less intact, so I imagine this is yet another victim of modern education and spellcheck as the sole editor.

My sole experience of FFVII is through fanfiction. And almost entirely Peggy Sue fanfiction, at that. This made it a little bit difficult for me to get invested in any of the characters, but the brusque style employed by the author made that less relevant; it shines in fun and fast action sequences more than emotive character introspection.

So. Yeah. Mixed feelings about this. On a lot of levels it's actively bad from a technical point of view, but I really feel like none of the errors were too intrusive or interfered much with my experience. I'm being a bit generous here, but I wouldn't want to rate this fic any lower.

4/5

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Well, I was enjoying it during the first half or so but then it kind of petered out sometime after Shinra brought down the roof and I can't quite put my finger on why. I stopped around Chapter 30 when I realised that I was just reading it for the lack of other things to do rather than because it actually interested me despite my fondness for game novelisations.

Can't say that I dislike the fic but I can't work up any desire to continue either.

3/5

P.S. @Scott you've used a mobile version of the link for Fanfiction.net

5. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Sorry about the mobile link. I'm on my phone so that's probably why.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Nothing wrong with a mobile link. I fixed it for you for people that just can't remove the m. at the start of the URL themselves. I kinda figured with the subject matter being FFVII that people would be more interested in this fic, shitting on it or otherwise for things they got wrong.

Anyone else willing to give it a try and tell us how they felt about it, before it gets moved?