1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Rhaegar I, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I spent the last few days running through Legend of Korra. After I got my fill of the show (overall pretty good, but not as good as Last Airbender), I started wondering if someone ever wrote a good Fic involving the Avatar Universe. So I decided to ask you, servants of the Dark Lord, if this ever happened outside of that Harry Potter Crossover (which, quite frankly, I didn't particularly like, especially for how dated a lot of it is now).

NOTE: I did check if someone else ever made a thread for the subject, but if I somehow missed an earlier one, I am sorry.

2. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

There's Embers, but I heard it gets pretty heavy on Zuko worship

3. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Just a bit. It starts off pretty well, but something like 20 chapters in IIRC, it goes completely batshit and comes up with excuse after excuse after excuse to make everyone in the Fire Nation, except for Azula and Ozai, seem like the good guys.

Hal
  5. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Yeah I saw the argument over this fic the last thread had like two minutes ago and now I regret reccing it.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    People Gonna Talk was quite good while it was a oneshot. I got bored of it when it got past the fifth chapter, however.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It's been a while since this has been posted in, plenty of time for some new stuff to get written.

So, anything badass out there now? I can only re-read sablefalls' Aang/Azula fics so often, and Three Families is enough of a slough at times that I don't really want to re-read it.

I really want a cool Legend of Korra fanfic to read, especially after finally finishing the series (did not expect S3 and S4 to be as good as they were). Korra/Asami a bonus since the series finale made it canon, but I just want some cool shit to read. Korra centric please, and with as little Mako-masturbation as possible, but beggers, choosers, etc.

I've done some FFN searching myself, but I can only scroll past stupid ass high school nonbending fics (I'm still shocked these fucking things exist), before I get disheartened. Hoping some of yo ufolks have had better luck.

Edit: Fuck. Forgot there's that other thread... that I'm pretty sure i've posted in. Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Is Harry Potter and the Last Airbender considered dated now, Rhaegar? I feel like the last update was a little more than a year ago.

9. fire

fire Order Member

I've found that the best ATLA stories are the ones that don't have Aang as a main character, because, simply put, his personality is bland, his way of approaching problems uninteresting, and his motivations shallow.

The Gentleman of Weapons

"AU: In a different world, can a mysterious and ancient Order possibly defeat a ruthless Fire Lord? No. They're utterly screwed, actually."

My favourite ATLA fic - a For Want of A Nail fic, starring Piandao as the main character, this is clever and snarky and six shades of awesome.

Damascus

"When the fate of the world rests upon the shoulders of one person, best to hope that it isn't a blind, chi-crippled child..." Toph-as-Avatar.

Blood, Silk, and Steel

"AU. In a world where Sokka and Katara's father died instead of their mother, we follow the exploits of Sokka, a dark perversion of his former self, as he willingly enters the world of intrigue and deception that is the Fire Nation." Sokka as he should have been.

For the Love of the Fire Princess

"Please remember that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. Everybody needs somebody to love." Azula/SI fic.

As the Sun

"AU. For a hundred years, the Fire Nation has harried its enemy across lives, deaths, and nations. In the chaos, the Avatar Spirit takes a terrible risk." Avatar Azula.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I also like

Weary Sovereigns
    The whole world is empty. The sands of time howl in a storm that deafens them to the sounds of all else. They've gone mad... and have, since then, gone sane. So unshakably, brutally sane that, at times, they wish that madness would come again, if only to take away the sheer cold of the certainty. The certainty that their story will never... ever... end. Time Travel. Cover by Ciber.

Basically, the Gaang repeats their lives in an endless loop. Pretty introspective and low on actual plot happening, but still quite readable.

11. Download

High Score:
    Not sure how I missed that fic.

---------- Post automerged at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Has anyone ever seen an Avatar Peggy Sue story?

---------- Post automerged at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

As the Sun a
    Ty Lee/Azula fic? It feels like it - not that I'm complaining

12. ronin11

ronin11 First Year

Most of the stuff I'd recomend is listed in that thread knight504 linked to, but there are few stories I discovered that aren't there.

水火 by trascendenza

Azula, post-canon, picking up the pieces. When she tried, Paupau clicked her tongue behind her teeth and took Azula's small hand in her own, held securely in the tiger's mouth of her thumb and forefinger.

This is pretty solid, even good enough for the Library if I ever get around to put it for a review. I usually don't like post-finale Azula-centric stories because in most cases they feature catatonic Azula in a streighjacket staring at the ceiling, going all ''I'm sorry father, I failed you. Mother, why couldn't you love me?'' for the first 10k words at least and she never really moves past that. There's some of that in this story, but I think it didn't go overboard. Azula is still herself, still more or less holding a grip on her sanity and her main objective (at least at first) is to overthrow Zuko and get even with everyone. Fic is slightly AU, because Azula actually had a female role model as a child (her paternal grandmother) and that plays a large part in the plot. This is about Azula finding her own path, but plot exists, so it isn't just one long depressing introspection like most of the Azula's redemption stories.

There's a new one

Azula's dead but she's not gone.

Original idea and pretty dark. Not bad at all, I think there's even some improvement in his writting. Although tread lightly if you're not into Zucest, it plays bigger role than Aang/Azula.

And since we're on the topic of Aang/Azula I have to mention:

The Sapphire Flame

The war with the fire nation is over. The Avatar has won. Balance slowly begins to return to the world, but somewhere turmoil remains. A young woman's sorrow consumes her. Can the Avatar help piece a broken soul back together?

Beginning is a bit too angsty but it gets better after they let Azula out of the nuthouse. Later fight scenes are awesome.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  13. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh, this is really, really good. Loving it, thank you for posting this.

14. fire

fire Order Member

Glad you liked it.

Azula, for me, was the single best character of Avatar. That unique blend of ruthlessness and brilliance, arrogance and fragility.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Avatar had a huge cast that was awesome (ATLA, I mean, TLOK had a few as well but not nearly as many), tbh, but I agree, even among them, Azula stood out. One of my favourite all time villains, and someone who can carry a vast amount of stories as long as she is handled correctly.

---------- Post automerged at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

This had a great start and a solid middle but after it veered into

spirit phoenix take over the world bullshittery
    it became a lot weaker. Quite frankly, with a theme like in this story, subtlety is the smarter choice, almost always. Personal, rather than large scale.

Had it retained the quality of its first third, it would have been amazing.

16. Download

High Score:
    Azula is a character with enormous fanfic potential.

17. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I believe it's her maternal grandmother actually, not her paternal grandmother.

I did quite enjoy it. Good rec.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  18. MonkeyEpoxy

I'm gonna give that Avatar Azula fic a try, the others I've read.

I'd still appreciate some cool Legend of Korra fics tho.

19. Zill

Zill First Year

I should go through the Legend of Korra stuff I've been reading to try and find some more stuff to recommend, but, here are a few things I've enjoyed.

Spin the Rails By Progman

This is a cannon compliant series that currently consists of a a few oneshots and one longer length story. It starts between seasons three and four and continues with the main fic taking place post season four.

The oneshots are mostly quick fun reads that fill in some of the spaces between seasons three and four. The main story (Repairs, Retrofits and Upgrades) starts with Korra and Asami's spirit world vacation and then gets darker when they return to Republic City. It focuses in on the whole spirit weapons are nukes thing. The most relevant tags from the Archive of Our Own version of the fic are: Weapons of Mass Destruction, Politics and Terrorism.

Unstable Equilibrium By Jtav

The Saga of Avatar Korra By Danseru_kun and sanctum_c

No Gods, No Masters By Skyler

20. MonkeyEpoxy

I just finished all of the Spin the Rail series, and I like it a lot. A whole lot.

Great read for anyone that wants some Korra