1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Man With No Name by Frostfyre7 - T - Firefly/Doctor Who xover

Discussion in 'Firefly' started by Belgarion213, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Belgarion213

Belgarion213 Slug Club Member

Title: The Man With No Name
    Author: Frostfyre7
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 104,839
    Updated: January 15, 2008
    Published: April 9, 2007
    Pairing Mal/Inara, Hints of Doctor/Rose past tense, Zoe/Wash past tense
    Setting: Post Serenity / Post 'The Runaway Bride'
    Summary: He hadn't really counted on getting into a pub brawl over the color of his coat on some speck of a planet, or signing up with a crew of petty criminals. Still, he'd always wondered what really happened to those Lost Colonists from Earth...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3486089/1/The_Man_With_No_Name

Notes: The main charecter is without doubt the doctor however the setting is the Firefly universe. Its set directly after the christmas movie post season 2 of Doctor Who (Rose is stuck on the other side of the void) and the Doctor is moping about and asks the Tardis to take him somewhere where he can do good..

It has some nice characteristics if some of them, such as Jayne are handled rather simply. The Doctor's character is handled rather well I think and it explores him a bit. More it explores Mal, Inara's and River's characters in a fairly awesome way.

While probably not the best fic I've ever read it was a thoroughly engrossing read. I'd probably give it a 4/5 or maybe even a 4.5/5.

Checked: June 14, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
  2. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I'm at chapter 19, and it's surprisingly good. Actually, for it's fandom (at least The Doctor part), it's absolutely fantastic. Anyone who tried to read 'The Doctor meets fifth/sixth year Harry Potter who needs help' knows what I mean.

Good rec.

3. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I read this a few months ago when I was just getting into Doctor Who. I thought it a great combination of the two. It explains why there aren't any aliens in Firefly so it doesn't overlook that fact. There's lots of lovely little hints from both of the series, and the ending is fantastic.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

This story was surprisingly interesting. I've read it all the way through and recommend it to anybody who's a Firefly or a Doctor Who fan. If you're both, like me, you'll just love it :)

5. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

I'm not one for other fandoms particularly, but I'm a big fan of Dr Who and Firefly has captured my interest since Nonjon's fic about.

This fic is outstanding, in so many ways. I can say that probably this will be the best fic I read this year. No offence to Jbern and his "Lie I've Lived" but this fic goes above and beyond that.

The characterization, the exploration, the plot are all eerily similar to the best of Dr Who. The way the author gets into the character's heads, the way he explores and reveals the powers and technology. This like some of the very best fanfic author's work is of a quality so superb as to be publishable.

This fic is now my favorite fic of any fandom. It's just so good. There may be better out there but I haven't found them yet.

5/5 because that depressingly is the highest rating I can give this fic. This fic has to be read just to understand how awesomely good it is.

6. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Wow, started reading this story thinking that I most likely wouldn't get into it, but loved it.

Defiantly recommend this to anything who likes both firefly and Dr Who.

4.5/5

Luke

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Is it enjoyable if you've not watched any Dr Who and not very much Firefly?

8. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

I am wondering the same, I don't want to get too far into it if Dr. Who knowledge is required. I only know very much about Firefly.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't need much Doctor Who knowledge (I have almost none) but knowing a bit of Firefly helps a lot.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

...er....really guys?

This felt like a 3/5 for me. :s Nothing special at all.

11. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Aaaaaand now I'm searching for a decent Doctor Who/Harry Potter crossover.

Futility at its best.

12. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Probably, but you won't enjoy it nearly as much because one of the fic's strongest points is characterization - which you won't be able to appreciate. However, I think with a quick five-minutes-wiki-search you should be fine.

13. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

I recently read this, and enjoyed every minute of it. A definite 5/5.:D

14. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ditto what Robo Jesus said. Excellent characterization all around, and it's still enjoyable if, like me, you know next to nothing about Doctor Who.

5/5