1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The many Deaths of Harry Potter by ShayneT - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Peter North, Mar 10, 2017.

1. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Well I finished this.

It runs out of steam around chapter 20. From there on out the author chose to dip into the big-ol-bucket of cliches and came out with enough slytherin!Harry ones for this story to lose all it's charm and uniqueness.

Also the resets from deaths started happening at suspiciously convenient times. It might as well be another time travel fic for all the impact they have on the story anymore.

Rather disappointed to be honest. If the author had stuck with the paranoia as both help and hindrance like it was in the beginning, instead of the hand wave for plot precognition it has become now, the story could have been great.

4/5 for the beginning chapters. 2/5 for the last 10 or so.

2. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I'm guessing that Harry was so used to dealing with attacks on his life that he just decided to try to capture Sirius instead of waiting months for Sirius to kill him.

3. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

I thought the biggest reason he went after Sirius was so there would be no more dementors at the school. That was his plan after the reset.

4. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

But the dementors were already gone, right? That is why there were two aurors guarding him. They replaced the dementors.

5. dhulli

dhulli The Reborn

Ah yeah, then perhaps to get rid of the constant watch of the aurors.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started reading this one earlier this week. It's not bad, but it's nothing great either. A solid 3/5. It straddles the line between guilty pleasure and good. Somewhere in between there.

Definitely worth reading imo. Starts slow, but that is part of its charm.

7. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    As someone mentioned above, the deaths are starting to coincide with time travel cornerstones. What would have been amazing is if Harry found himself in time loop. Say he dies to DEs at the world cup. Rewinds to the beginning when all is rosy. Tries to convince happy crowd about impending danger. DEs overhear him and kill him.

Or just generally trying to convince people at the beginning of the WC.

If he doesn't die in a few odd ways or inconvenient times, I'll think this is just a time travel fic.
    They don't have to be dumb, like he doesn't need to masturbate and off himself by cutting his dick on something - just not obvious. Like he tries to save Fleur from grindylows and they kill him instead.

8. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

It's like I stepped back a decade to ye old Indy!Harry

9. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

Well the last chapter was confirmation that the characterization of Dumbledore in this fic is... let's say, not one I like.

Harry : *has valid arguments about why he's in danger of someone putting his name in the cup*
    Dumbledore : "meh"

(pretty much)

Could also be :
    Harry : *has valid arguments about why he's in danger of someone putting his name in the cup*
    Dumbledore : "The Plot Must Go On And Follow The Canon One"

10. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

You know what'd be a hilarious, if a tad unbelievable way to justify it? If it turns out Fake!Moody imperius'd Dumbledore. After several detahs during the tournament, Harry finally get's back, finds out about Fake!moody, eventually manages to deal with him, only for imperius'd Dumbledore to pull out his wand and bam.

Loop starts all over.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This sentence from chapter 39 is like a summary for the whole story:

Summers had previously been a relief from the constant terror of Hogwarts, but now that he was becoming more confident in his ability not to die, they were actually becoming boring.

I was hoping that as Harry got stronger, he would face more and more dangerous enemies and die just as often.. Being able to incapacitate a dozen adult death eaters with a light spell - just because he's a Slytherin with a couple extra years of time travel under his belt and therefore able to outsmart everyone he comes across - is boring.

12. theronin

theronin Order Member

There's a reason movies with this theme tend to have a segment that's a long montage of nothing but death scenes, and I think this story would actually have benefited from something along those lines several chapters ago now. It's turned into a slog because the author is trying to keep the story moving forward, but without cuts, it requires cutting down on the deaths, so it loses the feeling of danger.

It was more entertaining when Harry was dying to random unexpected nonsense.

13. sairafius

sairafius Squib

High Score:
    I honestly tried to read this but just couldn't continue after he died on the Hogwarts Express . There was something off-putting in this author's style in my opinion.

14. mart3183

mart3183 Squib

I like the concept of the story very much, although it gets very frustrating that he dies all the time and it even gets annoying. When that's said though, if you get past the first semester it gets lots better in my opinion.

3.5/5

15. romeo

romeo Squib

Well, currently, it's gotten to a point where I'm hoping for something life threatening to take place that would cause a reset. It'll be interesting to see if it will be during the tasks or when he inevitably gets pulled away to the graveyard to face Voldemort.

16. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Being allergic to nuts myself I really feel that dragons pain :D.

On a serious note I found that an unusually satisfying and innovative way to wreck a dragon. Doubt it would work on any humanoid creature though.

17. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

Harry really needs to die again. At an inconvenient time. To be thrown back in time at another inconvenient time (like when he died but it still didn't allow him to "fix" Pucey's death).

18. jugemu

jugemu Squib

High Score:
    I kind of like this fic.

Time travel fics are something of a guilty pleasure for me and this fic ticks many of the same boxes while simultaneously being somewhat different. I like the concept but the execution is somewhat lackluster.

I enjoy the situations where it unexpectedly diverts from canon, i.e no fourth champion. I also like that it tries to not portray a super!Harry: he doesn't get spells on the first try, he misses clues etc.
    On the other hand several scenes portray a somewhat overpowered Harry: He takes down a group of death eaters (almost) by himself, he "easily" gains the respect of the other students etc. This creates a kind of dissonance I think.

Overall it is nothing special and and if the update speed slows to a crawl I'll probably end up dropping it. As it stands right now I'll rate it somewhere between average and good, closer to average than good though.

I agree that Harry needs more untimely deaths, preferably sooner rather than later ^^

3/5

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think it's good enough to follow and has enough creative elements to capture my imagination. Paranoid Harry forced to deal with a clever Voldemort is a novel premise, one that's worth following.

As others have noted, the story has gotten better as Harry's died less. The writing is a bit more solid as well once it's hit its stride.

I'll give it a 3/5 for now with the hope (and expectation) that it will turn on the jets and warrant a higher ranking in the future.

20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last ch (46), was both failure and success.
    Success it was packed with action.
    The use of gemino curse while creative, Canon alludes it to be complex spell (if Bellatrix used it as defense mechanism and isn't neutralize easily, while Harry has more experience don't remember him getting into advance magic yet.)
    Not to mention be coherent enough while trying to out fly a dragon to think about his little clever plan.

What truly annoyed me, is how the First task events aftermath were just ignore, if I read correctly the time skip.

In addition, nothing came out of his warning Dumbledore about the goblet and being proven true.

This entire fic feels rashed, like the Author want to reach certain place and doesn't bother to worry about the quality until then.

Edit: added ch number.