1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Matrix series to get a reboot

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matrix-reboot-works-at-warner-bros-986292

I hope this time they don't fuck it up like the sequels did.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ekhem.

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK YYYYYYUOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU HHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLYYYYYYYWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I hate this idea more than almost any re-make in history. Even though I think the second and third could have definitely been done better, there's no way anyone should be allowed to touch the original.

Enough re-makes have ruined my childhood, now they want to start going after my adulthood too?

4. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This is the stupidest idea since the remake of Ben Hur... and Ghostbusters. Hollywood never learns its lesson.

5. Andrela

Chill, people. Wachowskis are not involved, there's still some small amount of hope.

Also, Matrix. Machines. Computers. Reboot. Heh.

6. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

I think a prequel might be interesting. I would actually like to see Michael B. Jordan as a young Morpheus exploring Zion and commanding the Nebuchadnezzar.

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    I mean this in the nicest way, but fuck off.

Oz
  8. a51933

a51933 Squib

For something so popular it's almost inevitable that it will someday get a remake. It feels a bit soon for me but given that it has been almost 20 years I can see why they are thinking about it. I'm not saying I agree with it as I tend to find most remakes disappointing but given that they are a business i can understand why they're thinking about it. Let's just hope that when they say early stages they mean very early and that they try to make it something original rather than just trading off the name.

9. Andrela

Come on, let me dream. It's the last thing that's left.

10. Heather_Sinclair

I'm not against the idea of remakes. The thing is remakes work best when the makers can significantly improve on the quality of the original. Seeing as how the majority of the attention The Matrix was given was because of the innovative special effects, I fail to see how it can be improved upon at this time.

Better acting? Meh. It was good enough for what the movie was.

Better SFX? Ehhh, they're still doing wire-work to this day, and I don't think state of the art CGI could improve upon the original significantly enough to warrant a remake on its own.

Better plot? Again, for what it was, the plot is perfectly fine. Why screw with it?

A flat out remake would not be the way to go -- as evidenced by the aforementioned recent remake fails as cases in point -- so that leaves other avenues to explore if they wanted to make this successful. A continuation, an AU, a 'roll back the clock' and insert something to keep the Matrix itself alive in some sort of way in order to branch off of, or something along those lines.

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know, man. I had an "argument" about this with a few guys at work, and I seem to be the only one in support of a Matrix reboot. I just felt everyone got lost in the second and third movies, and while there were a few genuinely dope scenes in those movies, only the first one is a stand alone good movie for me.

Granted, it's going to be hard to top the first one, but I think the overall story could be seriously improved upon.

12. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I think you've nailed the key to this situation, we need to be looking at this as the franchise that it is. The sequels had some great moments but became really heavy handed towards the end, with the symbolism and over reliance on CGI. One of my gripes is going to be Rage Against the Machine not making the soundtrack... I really love that band

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    Matrix has flaws. The sequels could be argued to be bad movies. I still say keep your hands off the original.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This bullshit, and yet Tron 3 is still fucking cancelled.

15. Heather_Sinclair

Director Joseph Kosinski quote regarding Tron 3 as of Mar 2, 2017:

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hmm. Maybe they'll be able to turn 2 and 3 into something that is watchable.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

I'll continue to be salty until they deliver on the promise of their 'The Next Day' trailer.

18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hollywood needs a reboot.

19. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

Well remakes aren't anything new. Ben Hur(2016) is a remake or Ben-hur(1959) which is a sound a color remake of the Ben-hur(1925) which had been previously made as a short in 1907.

Maltese Falcon was made three times 1931 version was close to the source material but was heavily censored due to pre-code content. The same studio remade the movie in 1936 as Satan Met a Lady(1941) with some comedic overtones and was considered terrible, even called trash by one of its stars, Betty Davis. But it wasn't so much trash that Warner Brothers decided to remake it a third time five years later in 1941. Which is just an adaptation of the 1931 script with its "lewd" content removed.

The thing with a new Matrix is they have to give us something we haven't seen before, the first Matrix had those frozen moment shots. A new Matrix will have to give use something like that but different.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'll watch it simply because it's the Matrix. If the Wachowski's aren't writing this one then it's got to be good. Which is a shame because the Matrix was their best brainchild.