1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Measure of a Titan by General Havoc - T - Teen Titans

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by serasuna, Jun 26, 2012.

1. serasuna

serasuna Muggle

Title: The Measure of a Titan
    Author: General Havoc
    Rating: T
    Genre: AU, Action/Adventure
    Category: Other Fandoms > Misc > Anime, Cartoons, and Comics
    Pairings: Beast Boy/Raven, Robin/Starfire
    Summary: With Terra's betrayal still haunting them, the Titans rescue a young kineticist in need of a home from certain death. But after their loss, can they extend their trust to an outsider again, especially one being hunted by an unknown enemy? BBxRae, RobxStar
    Link: Fanfiction.Net

Found this thanks to Red Aviary's post in an old rec thread.

The story is an AU and revolves around an OC joining the team after Terra's betrayal. He's actually very well characterized. His occasional angst is a bit annoying to stomach in the first hero development arc (up to chap 20), but he really picks up in the second arc.

Don't be dissuaded by the pairings; although there is some cheesy romance and melodrama in the second arc, I found it unobtrusive.

Epic battle scenes, general atmosphere, and character psychology really are this author's greatest strengths. As cheesy as this will sound, the family atmosphere of each Titan being their own quirky selves yet still fitting together, is communicated quite well in the first arc, especially when juxtaposed against the OC.

However, it's the second arc where all three of the author's strengths get to shine. Although some of the early twists are predictable since this AU follows some season 3 plotlines, the superbly written character psychology pulled out some brilliant and original plot twists in the second arc.

One of the major weaknesses is the update rate and long hiatuses. It's taken five years for the author to get to chapter 37. However, each chapter is a terrific monstrosity in itself; I believe chapter 37 weighed in at an absolutely ridiculous 60k. That chapter seems late-endgame and assuming the second arc is also 20 chapters long, this arc should be 3 chapters away from winding down.

I'm feeling a strong 4 to a light 5 on this one. Thoughts?

2. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Liked it when I read it ~2 years ago, but update rate is tortured enough that I think I'll just wait for it to be complete and reread it all then.

3. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Haven't read this in forever. Will refresh and then submit a score.

4. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

Amazing. Simply amazing.
    654K words of awesome, library-worthy writing. I haven't watched Teen Titans in forever and I still enjoyed this greatly.

Long update time, but worth it since the chapters average ~17.7K words each.
    5/5

5. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Bumped because it was updated last month with another massive chapter this one's something like 47k words.

While it feels like forever since the last update the quality hasn't dropped off at all if anything this my be the best chapter so far. This is still one of if not the best teen titans story I've ever seen, even including the source material.

5/5