1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Mystery of Conan Edogawa by funvince - K+ - Detective Conan/Case Closed

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Nemrut, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: The Mystery of Conan Edogawa
    Author: funvince
    Rating: K+
    Genre: mystery/drama
    Words: 41,947
    Links: ff.net
    Summary: Ran Mouri is tired of the lies and evasions. She is determined to get to the truth behind her little house guest once and for all. But is she really prepared for what she may find?

It's not a grand story or anything but I am rather fond of this one. It's basically about Ran doing the detective legwork in order to prove that Conan is Shinji and it is an immensely satisfying right to see her going through the steps and get to the conclusion at the end. The characters themselves are portrayed really accurately and the writing style is pretty good. At roughly 40k words it isn't particularly long but a must read for any fans of Conan I really think satisfying is the best word for it.

No one is bashed, there is no meandering about and it's about doing some detective work to prove something extraordinary and rather unlikely and exploring all the feelings in this conflict and something I hope that canon does at one point. There is something that feels right about this story, that Ran is given something to do and endeavors to handle the Conan/Shinji thing like a detective, a process she has been by now intimately exposed to.

I have read and reread this story numerous times over the years, even when i'm not really following Detective Conan any more. Doubt the manga is any closer to the end than it was five years ago, tbh.

So yeah, quite enjoy this story. It's not something that is going to blow you away but I'm confident that any fans and former fans of the series will enjoy this and go back to it from time to time.

5/5

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Anyone else read this?

I tried it but I can't get too far into it. What I did read, I'd give a 3. Its well written for all that there was, and it doesn't meander. I think because of that I was lost in regards to the plot. I didn't feel like wiki walking to try and make up for my lack of information.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having no familiarity with the source material, I really struggled to keep up with this. Context and a cursory google or twelve caught me up, but it was a constant intrusion. There weren't any gaping errors in the writing, and I did enjoy it quite a bit, but the effort/reward ratio was poor and there was never anything truly exceptional here. Excellent for fans; don't bother otherwise.

4/5

4. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I used to read Detective Conan back when I was in high school. Got through like 600 chapters before I stopped, so I didn't have any trouble following the plot.

It's a good story. The technical writing is solid and the plot is unique. And it's a good at giving a small amount of "closure" to a fandom where the canon material has no end in sight. Also, the story is kind of cute and wholesome.

I think 5/5 is fair. The story didn't blow me away, but it's good and I don't have any complaints.