1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Neverending Road by Leitbur - Hikaru no Go - T

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Celestin, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Title: The Neverending Road
    Author: Leitbur
    Rating: T
    Genre: General (even though it's under Angst on ff.net)
    Pairing: Undecided
    Summary: Hikaru's journey through the world of the pros continues, facing opponents new and old as well as challenges of the heart. Takes place after the series ends.
    Link: FF.NET

I mentioned this fic somewhere on DLP already, but recently was reminded of it and frankly in my opinion it should have its own thread. Basically, it's a continuation of manga and my personal canon when it comes to Hikaru no Go. Seriously, it's so good that it makes you believe that it's exactly how this story would go on if they really did an official sequel.

Right now it seems to be on a hiatus for 9 months, but it already happened few times, so the author may be back sometime in the future.

Anyway, 5/5 from me.

2. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I read this for the first time years ago and enjoyed it. I've tried reading it again later on but I just can't enjoy it. The romance, while not a major part of the fic if I recall correctly, was pretty horrible and I didn't much like many of the characters. I can't remember that much about it but what I do just isn't that good. 3/5 because I liked it when I was first reading it.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Can someone remind me how Hikaru no Go ended? I'm pretty sure I read the manga until the end, and the ghost-sensei thing leaves.

edit: Nevermind. Wikipedia contained enough plot points to refresh my memory of post-Sai Hikaru. If you haven't read the manga [or seen the anime], then I wouldn't recommend relying on the Wiki page - it misses very important plot arcs and events.

---------- Post automerged 1st Oct 2011 at 01:03 ---------- Previous post was 30th Sep 2011 at 14:06 ----------

I read the first 9 chapters of this, but the story never engaged me. The story seems to be a chronicle of Hikaru's fairly uneventful rise in the world of Go. Where's the humour, engaging characters, sticky situations and struggles for our protagonist? The story is technically competent, but astonishingly lacking in substance. I never felt connected to the characters and the plot was sedate.

I skipped from chapter 9 to 78, and then back to a middle chapter, but the story doesn't seem to change. There's a bit of a romance angle, but from what little I read it's very uninteresting.

The spelling, grammar, clarity, etc. are all fine. The author hasn't made many mistakes, they've just written a snoozer instead of a page-turner. 3/5.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  4. Ignisglace

Ignisglace Squib

High Score:
    Loved the fanfic very good story. However if one has not read the actual manga recently it leaves one confused and lost. I only recommend this story if one really enjoyed Hikaru no go and wished the manga had continued from where it ended with him seriously stepping into the go world. In short it is only fun if you felt really unsatisfied about not seeing the rise of hikaru in the go world.

5/5

5. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

i remember reading this years ago and i did enjoy it because it was a somewhat natural continuation of the manga... bar one plot tumor that would not go away.

i'm not a hikaru/akira shipper, but the love triangle between akari and nanase felt forced. i'd ship either of them, but only one—he could have been with one or another and it wouldn't have really altered anything.

3/5 from me, 4/5 if the author could have decided if he was focusing on the romance aspect or hikaru growing into his career and stuck with one.

6. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The breaks between scenes could be more clear, but otherwise it's good to have it back.

8. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The struggle of being extremely excited but having zero recollection of where the plot's at whatsoever.

9. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

The Neverending Road has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 86
    Words: 525,019
    Updated: 2019-12-25 06:04:37 UTC
    Published: 2006-04-30 07:17:08 UTC
    Previously updated: 8 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.