1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Nine Broken Mirrors by Ayien - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by AntiChrist, Nov 14, 2008.

1. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Title: The Nine Broken Mirrors
    Author: Ayien
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 194,734
    Updated: Jun 9, 2010
    Published: Jul 29, 2007

Summary: When Suna attacks, Naruto and Gaara must abandon Konoha, find the other jinchuuriki, and unlock the secrets of the Village of Shadows, or all is lost. But it is only six years later, when Konoha comes demanding help, that the last Great War begins.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3687756/1/The_Nine_Broken_Mirrors

The summary really does not do it justice. The start is a bit cliched to be honest, but where it really stands out is in the incredible characterization and the vibrancy of the emotions of each of the Jinchuukri. The latest chapter has some of the best examples of this I've ever seen.
    5/5

Checked by Minion, February 11, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's a fun story, though I'm generally not a huge fan of OC's.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Yeah OC's and the constant anti-war banter (sure, the author can express whatever viewpoint they want, but it gets annoying, having to read the jinchuuriki complain about war every chapter, whether it's deserved or not) weaken what could have been a more engaging story.

4/5

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah. I was about to put this up for recommendation when I finished the last chapter (halfway though it right now). This story is really good and really engaging. The only thing... the author abhors violence and war. It'd be nice to see the characters actually grow in terms of development... instead of Naruto being all whiny about killing and war, he gets a bit more cynical and open-minded, and instead of Yugito loving to kill, she gets a bit... nicer?

That's the only thing ruining the story for me. Anti-war is all good and well, but not when it's shoved down your fucking throat every other paragraph. Too much angst, not enough dialogue that doesn't have to do with someone weeping about how war kills people.

I mean, why the fuck would you read a manga about fucking ninja if you're so anti-violence? It doesn't make any fucking sense.

5. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Pacifists are just irritating in general if you don't agree with them. I couldn't get very far in this one at all.

3/5 for the fact that the author isn't incompetent.

6. Blazing Chime

Blazing Chime Second Year

I'm very torn about this story.

On one hand it started out pretty interesting and the OCs were likable and the interaction between the characters is written very well. The middle part of the story was quite entertaining with all the side stories.

On the other hand, the last few chapters have just been one disappointment after another. I simply don't understand why Naruto is willing take the shit from the Konoha's elder's. Why they seem to make so many mistakes even when a one of them is genius. Plus, the angst goes on and on and on.

The story is still redeemable so I'll give it 3/5, which can go up or down depending on how it will progress.