1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Side by Samuel Black - ??? - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Samuel Black, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

A few points Ryuugi:

1. He did say to Mavra that he had, and I quote ' I've got a fallen angel tripping all over herself to give me more power. ' He also said that ' I've read Kemmler's book. I know how the Darkhallow works. And I know how to turn necromancy against the Black Court. ' He was trying to scare her yes, but that doesn't mean that he was lying either.

2. The council already knows that he read the book and knows at least some of the magic from it. How you say? The zombie dinosaur kinda gave it away.

3. He has already used Necromancy and the council did nothing because he didn't break the Laws, he didn't raise up a human.

4. Harry ain't stupid. He knows that there is a good chance that Cowl and other people like him are still out there, if you have a chance to gather all the possible intel on what their capabilities might be you would be monumentally stupid not to take the chance to get it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

There is a difference between having the knowledge and using it. For example the US has enough nuclear missiles to blow most of the world away BUT they dont use them.

Also you never show all your tricks. Thats stupid and beyond foolish.

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Good point. Which reminds me, I need to go back and read the books. However, I'm still skeptical on the subject of Harry knowing the Word, if only because he hasn't even thought about it in three books. That I remember.

Besides, I'm willing to bet that even if he does remember the entire book, most of the things in there require necromancy of human corpses.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I think you're all forgetting something. The Word, as far as we know, did one thing. It explained how to summon the Darkhallow and how to utilize without blowing yourself up. I'm a little foggy, haven't read the Museum scene in a while, but I don't remember Lash telling Harry how to raise Sue.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

IIRC the only reason that they generally use human bodies is because they have the most power out of anything that is easy to find whole and dead.

Hmm, I never did think that was the only thing it said but when I think about it I don't think it specifically said that it talked about a whole lot of other stuff either. So either Lash already had a fair amount of Necromantic (lmao thats a word according to the spell checker) knowledge or it was in the book, which now that I think about it, seems kind of weird. If it was the Holy Grail of Necromancy then why would it talk about the basics (which is all Sue was, just a bit larger scale than normal) ?

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Word was written as a guide for necromancers so they could gain a shit load of power very quickly. Kemmler knew he was being chased by the White Council so he wrote the books in case he was ever killed and couldn't teach his disciples personally, which was a good idea considering how the Council did exactly that.

So there's no reason he shouldn't have put some of the basics instructions in all his books but only put the blueprints for the Darkhallow in one. It's just a precaution, in case the other books were destroyed, but still trying to limit how many people could gain access to the Darkhallow.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always just read it as, after evil!Bob showed him how to access the power, he figured out how to do the actual act of necromancy on his own, on the spur of the moment.

8. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Yes, he did.

It's immaterial anyway, since he specifically states he read the book.

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

You do know I've already acknowledged I was wrong on that point, and that I needed to reread the series, right?

10. Zoroz

Zoroz Muggle

awesome fic, more please :)

11. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  12. uriel

uriel Seventh Year DLP Supporter

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It got moved, he posted in the story thread.