1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Preservation of Memory by opalish - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Tenages, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: The Preservation of Memory
    Author: Opalish
    Rating: K
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: N/A
    Words: 2,136
    Published: July 3, 2008

Summary: "Teddy Lupin's parents are dead, but he still finds traces of them in the oddest places." Not quite a complete summary I don't think. It also hits on Harry/Teddy's relationships, and Harry's feelings about his departed friends/mentors.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4367204/1/The_Preservation_of_Memory

Found this by following the link to a humor story Xiph necroed and perusing the author's other stories. Normally I probably would have passed this story by, but I decided to read it. It's not great in the way that stories like Cauterize are -- it's not on that level. But something about it hit me in a way that really spoke to me and made me like it.

I dunno. Maybe it's just a combination of being shitfaced and sentimental on this particular date. But it gets a 4/5 out of 5 from me.

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

Definitely not on the level of Cauterize... but still, it holds it's own. I would suggest the author put in some sort of break indicator between scenes, I read fast, and I had to back-track a few times. Other than that, it felt... real. As if it would easily have been put up in cannon. For the level it is on, 4/5.

3. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It wasn't the best fic but not the worse either. I give it 4/5 Stars. It was short and got its point done. Mostly it is Harry and Teddy dialogue with some parent-woes of two orphans and the ever fun Peter!bashing.

4. Plothole

Plothole Fifth Year

This fic was a little too sentimental for my tastes. It didn't have anything that I really enjoy in a story. It was good in every other aspect though.

3/5

5. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

I'd give it it 3.5/5. Not as good as Cauterize but not many fics of this nature are.

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A nice one-shot. It's got nothing on Cauterize as others have said, but then again it's not really fair to hold everything up to those standards. It does fit very well with Harry's character, and what I imagine Teddy might be like. The time frame for this story did confuse me a bit though. Teddy is 13 and at Hogwarts, but then how are James and Albus at Hogwarts? I guess I could assume that it's because Harry is teaching there or something. But this.
    then confuses me. It's supposed to be from Harry's perspective I believe, but more than five years should have passed if Teddy is 13. If it's from Teddy's perspective, then it would indicate he is out of Hogwarts now and that it's really not doing a very good job of showing that time has passed. Plus, Teddy said he found the names a year earlier.

Either way I did enjoy this story, and would recommend it. 4/5

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

I expected rehash of Cauterize, but it was really good. Maybe quite sentimental, but I had no trouble with it. I enjoyed it and I rate it at 4/5

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Moved this back into For Review since it has 4 stars. I'll leave it here for a week and then place it into a category if it retains it.

9. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

Well, this was definitely a good read, and I especially enjoyed learning about Teddy's view on his parents as well as his relationships with other people still alive. The only problem was the size of the fic. I really don't think that 2k words was enough to do the topic justice, because just as I was starting to get into the fic, the story ended.

Expanding the first two sections by adding more about Remus and Tonks would've improved the fic substantially (and maybe even adding another scene).

Touching, but not enough imo. 3.5/5 rounded down to 3/5.