1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Resilience of Time by Mnsk - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Ched, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: The Resilience of Time
    Author: Mnsk
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Chapters: 51
    Words: 407,972
    Updated: Oct 23, 2013
    Published: Jun 28, 2013
    Library Category: Naruto
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Before his death, Nagato destroys his Rinnegan to keep it out of certain dangerous hands. Infuriated, Uchiha Obito actives a legendary seal that resets time and all its events, but he didn't count on Konoha's Orange Ninja remembering everything. Time travel on an epic scale. Completed.
    Link: FFN

I am continually surprised that I can't find reference to this story anywhere on the boards except here, on this page from Quality Naruto Recs.

That said... I debated for several days whether to put it up or not. It's pretty good, and gets better as it goes on, but overall I'm not sure it will garner more than a 3/5 rating.

Personally I find it to be the quintessential 3.5/5.

Things this story does right - Very little canon rehash. Naruto time travels (essentially) and immediately sets to work dealing with shit. He tells Jiraiya and Kakashi, convinces them, then gets to work. There are some original scenes in this story that I haven't seen elsewhere, and on more than one occasion I found myself literally laughing out loud.

The biggest issue? It's kind of boring, somehow. That does improve as the story continues, but only so much. Most of the fight scenes are lackluster. Things never go horribly wrong. There's not a ton of suspense.

Another problem is that while most of the primary cast feel as if they change and have some kind of character arc, Naruto himself feels stale. Instead of growing over the course of the story he feels like he's almost stuck as he was when he went back in time (right after defeating Pein).

Main characters for this story, by the way, include a slightly older cast than average (which I liked). Team 8 and Team 10 are barely in the story at all. More common cast members include Naruto, Kakashi, Jiraiya, Gaara, Tsunade, Yugito Nii, B, Utakata, Gai, Shizune, Sasuke, Sakura, etc.

Mostly I just end up scratching my head at how a story that changes so many things still ends up feeling a bit boring.

My rating: 3.5/5 ...and fuck it, I guess I'd round down, but then again...

Thoughts DLP? I know several of you have already read this damn thing.

Also I fucking swear if this thread already exists and I didn't find it I'm gonna hit something...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  2. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

About to start reading this, but first impression is that it's impressive they managed to crank out 400k words in four months. Love time travel docs, so diving in now. I'll update with a first impression after a few chapters.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does he only ever open up to Kakashi and Jiraiya?

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Nah. The way it works is that all the Jinchuuriki who had open communication with their Bijuu remember events from before the 'time travel.' So initially you've got Naruto, B, Yugito, and Gaara who all remember the previous events and are on the same side (more or less).

Naruto opens up to Jiraiya and Kakashi, but it expands before too long to include Tsunade and Shizune, and later on Yamato and the Sandaime. Maybe 1-2 others. It's always kept relatively small, and some people (like Gai) hover on the edges of knowing without ever being fully filled in.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  5. cancelled for a

cancelled for a Second Year

I quit after the Sanin made some perverted remarks about Sakura....

The old dude is perverted, sure, but he likes women. Not little girls. He's not a phedo.

And secondly, the author made Naruto into an idiot. Like, wtf? Canon Naruto was a 12-year-old kid, so yeah, of course he's allowed to be an idiot. But the 15-year-old Naruto was pretty smart, and reliable. He's got the tactics on the fly, and damn smart when it comes to planning ahead. Also, while Naruto is not book smart academically, he's got an incredibly emotional intelligence.

And this author made the naruto.... I don't know..

In any case, the only thing that really killed it was the Sanin making disgusting remarks about Sakura.

6. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Trip report after 3 chapters. This fic is definitely the definition of 3.5/5. It has a lot of interesting ideas and completely avoids most time travel fics' habit of retreading canon with little changed. However, it is very poorly written. Those interesting ideas are thrown at the wall along with everything else the author can think of. It also is full of grammar issues. All in all this fic needed a beta from the start. It needed both proof reading and heavy editing.

That being said, I'm probably going to keep reading because it is a good guilty pleasure fic so far.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I couldn't read past chapter 1. It's not because it was terribly written or had retarded devices or whatever. It was just a collection of things ranging from questionable to bad with nothing really good to back it up and not particularly good writing to support it. There was no hook. Rather the opposite, I found myself repelled by a plethora of small things that individually might not matter, but altogether paint a not at all positive picture.

There is not nothing particularly noteworthy about this fic. Nothing to make me want to read more of it.

I won't rate it because I understand that I might not have a spherical/complete opinion about it, but I did want to share my thoughts on why I don't think this should be in the Library. It's just a collection of bad cliches with not almost-acceptable writing. Or at least, it starts that way.

8. eden

eden First Year

I read this, at one point, maybe 2014. (How could I not, when it was complete with over 400k wordcount? That's a weakness for me. Plus, it has an original idea for how the time travel was possible.) And yet, the only thing I remember about it is this scene:

At one point, Kakashi wants to talk to Sasuke about the Mangekyo sharingan, and when Sasuke says he doesn't care whether they discuss this in front of Sakura and Naruto, a curious Kakashi asks if he wants them to know the secrets of sharingan. Sasuke easily responds with something along the lines of, "If Sakura ever turned on me, I'd drag her to a psychiatrist myself."

And at Kakashi's response of, "And what about Naruto?" Sasuke's response is priceless:

"It's not like Naruto is going to betray me. I'd like to see you try making him turn on me."

While I probably remembered this scene because it's a refreshing change from the usual bashing fics and one of the better measure-of-our-friendship scenes I've seen in Naruto fics, this is really the only thing I remember about it. Even after reading other people's reviews of it, I can't remember more. That is my personal measure of just how boring this fic is.

So yeah, it probably is only a guilty pleasure reading fic that just can't be read more than once. Don't know about you, but personally, time spent on 400k+ words on boring stuff that isn't work is time ill spent.