1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Scattering by CG99 - M - Battlestar Galactica (2003)

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Download, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Scattering
    Author: cg99
    Rating: M
    Genre: SciFi, space opera (?), survival
    Fandom: Battlestar Galactica (2003)
    Pairings: None
    Summary:
    Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/nubsg-the-scattering.326749

The author is apparently a published authors. Updates are apparently sporadic as he/she only works on this when they can't think of ideas that make them money.

As much as I like BSG (ignoring the final few episodes that is) it's pretty rare for me to find a fic I actually like, let alone a non-crossover BSG fic.

The story is pretty much a BSG rewrite operating under the assumption that space is big, and when you have a population of 100 billion, 1% escaping is still a huge number.

The story is brutal and, I think, very realistic. The major character are grey pragmatists throughout, like the major characters in canon were.

4/5 from me.

2. Download

High Score:
    Kinda disappointing someone rated this a 2/5 without explaining why.

3. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Surprisingly decent, though the author would benefit from a beta, as I've had the distinct impression that the misspells were more numerous in the latest chapters.

The author's depiction of the inner workings of a military fleet is realistic, and while it follows -somewhat- the canon plot, the story has a few interesting points of divergence and stays gripping from the beginning to the current chapter.
    It even fills in a few canon plotholes.

In any case, I've quite enjoyed how one of the main characters, Tomas, has to deal with the shit left by Galactica and the action of its commander/soldiers. An excitingly fresh perspective on the war, so to speak.

4/5

4. Download

High Score:
  5. maple0809

maple0809 Muggle

Higher tier of almost recommended fics, I think. Like Hachi wrote, surprisingly gripping for a battlestar galactica fic that follows canon to some extent.

Hard to get through at some points with just how brutal it can be, but I want nothing less from a BSG fic.

Only made it to the half way point so the rating could change.
    4/5

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Not a fan.

Some of it could be personal preference, but I generally really do not like these sorts of dry stories that almost exclusively focus on the macro-scale level events and completely ignore any personal journeys or emotive narrative. The characters are just generic cardboard cutouts playing roles and that completely kills my enjoyment of it. You guys say it's brutal, but I feel like I'm reading a wikipedia article on some long distant war crime or a forum post outlining a story.

Even trying to put aside my preference for character centric stories, I can't really see this as a quality fic at all (compared to another macro-focused fic like say, Reunions are a Bitch or whatever it's calling itself now). The narrative is as dull and minimalistic as it could possibly be. Overall there's some attempt to be some realistic take on the situation, however the regular cheesy turns of events or not-so-subtle stabs at the canon plot detract from that.

There's nothing that feels all that impressive about the world building either - new elements are only explored as they're needed to suit the plot.

It's literally, an Indy!Inorganics fic, full with self-righteous lectures and bashing the incompetent and sadistic villains (organics) and so on.

Overall, really don't see what the attraction of this is at all. 2/5

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016