1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Stone Gryphon Series -T - Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Books' started by ray243, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Title: The Stone Gryphon Part 1 Oxfordshire 1942
    Author: rthstewart
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship
    Fandom: Chronicles of Narnia
    Pairings: Pevensie/OC
    Summary: In the summer of the Dawn Treader, Aslan tries to get Peter's attention. But, it's all Greek to Peter as he studies with Professor Kirke and meets unusual people who seem vaguely familiar. Part 1 of The Stone Gryphon
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4941669/1/The-Stone-Gryphon-Part-1-Oxfordshire-1942

Title: The Queen Susan In Tashbaan
    Genre: Adventure
    Summary: Queen Susan and Lord Peridan of the Gryphon Aerial Corps aid the British war effort in 1942 America – a dodgy tale of espionage, politics, allure, and garden insectivores. Part 2 of The Stone Gryphon
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5209349/1/The-Queen-Susan-In-Tashbaan

Title: Apostolic Way
    Genre: Adventure
    Summary:Chapter 15, in which there are many meetings, counsel given and counsel received, and long-anticipated steps are taken on the journey. Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. Part 3 of The Stone Gryphon.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6403404/1/Apostolic-Way

I've have earlier posted this story in the barely recommended thread to judge whether there are others who think this story deserve to be posted in the library.

In my opinion, I would rate this story 5/5 simply because of how well it manage to capture the tone of the Narnia books. Based on the writing alone, you can easily believe that these stories are set in the 1940s, during the second world war.

The author have done quite a bit of research into the historical background of that period, ranging from the military campaigns of Rommel to the scientific community understanding of Dinosaurs at that time.

The character development is also quite interesting as well. The author was able to convey the Pevensies as kings and queens trapped in the bodies of a bunch of middle class children. Regarding the OCs, I have to say he manage to write some of the best OCs I have encountered.

The OCs range from being quirky, likable to cool and badass. People who are avid fans of various historical figures from the 1940s will enjoy the OCs, as most of them are based on historical figures.

If you enjoy the stories written by C.S. Lewis and tales set in the second world war, you will find this series extremely enjoyable.

Edit by Minion:
    I think the third part isn't complete yet (and you labeled the thread as WIP).

---------- Post automerged 9th Dec 2012 at 02:28 AM ---------- Previous post was 8th Dec 2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

Ah, sorry about that little mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Seriously, no-one comments on this? If anyone has read similarly awesome or better Narnia stories, please post links, because I haven't.

These stories are great. Surely better than the books. It takes a realistic approach to what would happen if a bunch of adult kings and queens were torn from their kingdom and their subjects.

In fact, I'd like it if By Royal Decree (mostly humor) and Harold and Morgan:Not A Romance (more serious, with romance and humor somewhere in there) were added to the OP, and certainly the Library. They are in the same continuity as the Stone Gryphon, but follow Edmund during their reign in Narnia.

I have to say that I skipped most of Susan's misadventures in America, because they bored me to death. Other than that, these stories are well researched, well written (few typos are there), with very well made OCs and very well characterized everyone.

All of these stories besides Part 2 are 5/5, imo. Definitely worthy of the Library. More people should read and comment on this. If a story like this doesn't enter the Library, I don't know what will.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've been reading it, and it is quite good so far. I haven't commented on it because it's goddamn huge and I haven't even got halfway through everything yet.

There are a lot more works in the Stone Gryphon continuity than the few listed in the OP. Some stories are based in the real world [ie. Spare Oom], and others are prequels, I think, set in Narnia. I haven't read the prequels yet, but I assume that the lion's share of them are set during the Pevensie's rein in the last chapter of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

A chronological order of the fics, including links, can be found here: http://rthstewart.livejournal.com/40852.html

4. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

The writing style of this story is very different from most fanfiction. It reminds me a bit of East of Eden.

The author is obviously extremely talented and has put a tremendous amount of research and thought into this. In particular, Richard, Mary and (especially) Asim are really compelling characters.

Unfortunately, the author doesn't quite succeed in pulling it off in some points, at least for me. It's very verbose and doesn't manage to make it worth your while at some points. It lost my attention at the beginning of the second book and didn't recapture me when I skipped to the third.

---------- Post automerged at 04:53 ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 ----------

The writing style of this story is very different from most fanfiction. It reminds me a bit of East of Eden.

The author is obviously extremely talented and has put a tremendous amount of research and thought into this. In particular, Richard, Mary and (especially) Asim are really compelling characters.

Unfortunately, the author doesn't quite succeed in pulling it off in some points, at least for me. It's very verbose and doesn't manage to make it worth your while at some points. It lost my attention at the beginning of the second book and didn't recapture me when I skipped to the third.

(Also, I know it's Narnia, but the Christianity got irksome at some points. But that may be more about me as a reader.)

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Read the first Stone Gryphon story. It's good. Easily a 4/5 story, even if you only have vague knowledge of Narnia beyond the basics (I only read them once, rather quickly, and only retain some a few of the basics).

I'll try another one in the series later. I'm not all that interested in reading in America but I figure I can always skim some. Edmund promises to be interesting at least.

So... yeah. The author is very talented and obviously did a hell of a lot of research to make this story interesting and believable. It is good writing.

...but at the same time not a lot happens. We start off Peter studying with the Professor. He meets other interesting people. He talks to them, tries to keep his secrets, learns things, and so on. But at the end of the story it's hard to actually say what the plot was, beyond giving a snapshot of what life might be like for Peter after returning to the real world. Lots of set-up though, particularly around Asim, given the last "preview" chapter so we'll see where that goes.

*shrug* I can't give it a 5/5, but it's worth the library I think.

6. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

For me, I really enjoyed the academic discussion. The author has the ability to convey the joy of being at Oxford, spending hours and hours discussing classical history and paleontology with Peter, Mary and the Professor.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Oh I agree Ray. I genuinely enjoyed that too. I even noted one or two things in my "interesting stuff" notepad file. I don't mean to detract from that aspect of things, but I do think that in terms of plot advancement not many events took place.

---------- Post automerged at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Well, I gotta admit -- By Royal Decree is bloody fantastic. Easily 5/5. It's only about 45k words and is standalone in this Stone Gryphon universe. POV character is Edmund, who is a lot of fun, and it actually has a bit of a plot (though the author says "Oh My Goodness. Plot. No one is more shocked than I. I assure you, it is only temporary.")

It's full of sexual tension, and tigers, and hounds, and other good beasts, and evil bankers, and corsets and how Edmund is not at all fond of corsets. And it's complete, and you don't need to read any of the stories to understand what's going on (though a reference or two was made to the events in Stone Gryphon).

8. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

Just another interesting story from the series to share. It's set in an AU when the four children manage to survive the train disaster and share their adventures with their children.

If you are up for a nice little Christmas story, here you go:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8799351/1/Wandbreaker

9. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year