The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ven Arima

Ven Arima Slug Club Member

I can't tell if you're baiting or if you're being serious.

If the former, hmm.

If the latter, good to know.

2. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Before it degrades into the usual shit, reminder that there's a thread dedicated to yelling at each other about the 2nd amendment.

I'm goin' for Kavanaugh.

I guess it really depends on who gets to Trump last. Whoever tells him who to pick at 8:59 will cement the choice.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Hahaha. He agrees with everyone, and whoever is around at the last minute hit the jackpot XD

Cue everyone queuing in front of his office, because everyone wants to be the very last inside. And then comes the sneaky one, who catches him on the way down to wherever he makes the announcement.

4. vlad

vlad Groundskeeper Prestige

High Score:
    I'm betting on Kavanaugh.

Although if the reports that Barrett was last seen getting on a plane to DC really are substantiated, then her odds go up significantly.

Edit: Of all the words of tongue and pen; the most of said, 'vlad was right again'

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  5. Spanks

Spanks Minister of Magic

I think smart money is on Kavanaugh.

However, I must say, for an administration that leaks like a sieve the amount of misdirection, “sources say” and so on about every possible pick today is amazing to see. Hard to believe they’ve been able to keep the pick secret this long. Entirely possible Trump is still deliberating on his pick.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    My money is on Barrett...and she would be my pick if I was Selecting from Trumps list.

7. Sesc

I'm assuming there is no leak because there is nothing to leak, yeah. If the only one who maybe knows is Trump (or maybe not, even), no one can leak anything.

Also, if it would be Barrett, that would make things really interesting. She's the only one who I could maybe -- possibly -- see not getting a pass. Murkowski and especially Collins need at least a pretense on which to argue they are satisfied re: Roe. Barrett and her catholic dogma makes that extremely hard. (Reportedly, that was also McConnell's argument to Trump, today. Whether that means anything to Trump is anyone's guess, of course.)

Edit: Might as well toss Hardiman in the ring as my official pick. Trump likes winning, and that will happen with him.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    Yes...Trump likes winning but he also knows how to appeal to his base.

If Barret was disconfirmed, a strong argument could be made on the basis that it was her religious views that caused her disconfirmation.

Can you imagine the furor from Trump’s base?

“The establishment and republicans are fighting Trump now!”

Etc

9. Sesc

Except it would be "one or two senators fighting" him, and they have done that before, so it's not really a new argument. Collins gets called a RINO, Trump throws a tantrum ... yawn. Did anyone of Trump's base like Collins to begin with?

I mean, I could entirely see Trump spoiling for a fight (when isn't he?). But a good strategy, this to me seems not. And he seemed to like the smooth Gorsuch process well enough. So, eh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Agayek

Agayek Alchemist

I largely agree with you, I just feel the need to point out that "But it's bad strategy!" isn't a very compelling argument against Trump doing something.

If anything, that's a point in its favor.

11. vlad

High Score:
    No.

At that holds pre-Trump, going back to Tea-Party times. The most that is said in her defense from the base (and of Snowe, before) is that it's Maine, and it's maybe better to have a squishy Republican than a firm Democrat.

12. Sesc

Thanks for answering my rhetorical question :D

I wanted to add, "who of Trump's base is in Maine", but then there will be some there, and it would be irrelevant to the argument, anyway -- if it was a compelling argument.

13. vlad

High Score:
    Rhetorical questions are best questions!

And he has some base there. Upper New England, Upper Great Lakes, patches of the Mountain West, and parts of Upper South... dont really follow national parties so much as have common ground one way or the other.

14. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Sometimes reporting gets creepy.

People reporting "Judge Amy Barrett was seen moments ago at her home in South Bend, Indiana, per CNN's Konstantin Toropin."

Can you stop looking in her windows.

15. Solfege

Solfege Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Thought y'all might appreciate a couple of ads that could represent the kind of fight and candidate Democrats are looking to put up in red states this November.

Perhaps this'll slake some of the one-dimensional coastal SJW stereotyping we've sometimes engaged on Democratic prospects. McGrath runs against Rep. Andy Barr of Kentucky's 6th district while Hegar faces down Rep. John Carter of Texas' 31st.

16. Arthellion

High Score:
    So it’s Kavanaugh.

I stand corrected.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could it have been anyone else? The man believes the President should be protected from any and all legal action put against him for the duration of his term.

2009 Minnesota law review:

18. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

How did it go again, "When the president does it, that means it's not illegal" wasn't it?

19. tikkier2000

tikkier2000 First Year

High Score:
    I'm just legitimately glad it wasn't Barrett. While she staunchly claims to not conflate her Catholic morality with legal interpretation, the fact that she wouldn't outright answer yes or no to the Roe v. Wade back and forth makes me think she just doesn't want to admit anything when she was still up for nomination. I don't need that kind of smokescreen from potential Supreme Court justices, thanks. And for that matter, she hardly has a reputation as a judge, since she'd only been appointed in October of 2017.

I'm sure Donnelly is just fed up with the whole ordeal. If he wants to keep his seat in Indiana, he's going to have to toe the line one how loyal to the Democratic party he wants to be. Had Trump nominated Barrett, I'm sure he would've almost certainly had to confirm her, as she's not only from his alma mater, but he voted to appoint her to the 7th Circuit, and it would highly suspect if he went back on his support of her as a judge.

As it is, whether or not he confirms Kavanaugh is going to be interesting. If he does, there he goes angering the Democrats that need to turn out for him in November, and big time. If he doesn't, he's likely to lose a lot of his Republican support because he's one of the only pro life Democrats (except in the case of rape, incest, and medical threat to the mother *sigh*), and trust a Democrat in Indiana to be as barely moderate as humanly possible. (And I live here and it gets fucking tiring.)

Though Donnelly is barely Democratic even in name and not Republican, he tends to get the benefit of the doubt, as least as far as the general attitude goes. However, this very well might be his lose-lose scenario, which doesn't bode well should fucking Braun win.

20. Sesc

Apparently, with Kavanaugh, McConnell feared Rand Paul. Which would be hilarious and break all the irony detectors in the entire world, if for once Rand Paul was useful and it would be here of all places, but I'm not going there. Rand Paul's vote has never been useful, it would be a miracle if he suddenly discovered his libertarian-small-state ideology in the place where he locked it up safely when it truly mattered.

Edit: Also, congrats to @Rehio and @vlad.