1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Uprising by Captain Cranium - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sesc, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jswords

Jswords Squib

Agree with sesc great idea but the level of execution has been steadily dropping for the last several chapters.

2. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

After a few first chapters I wanted (and hoped for) some blood, real war and the destruction of this version of MoM by Muggleborn rebels. Now I'm happy there was no general reconciliation after some rotten compromise. Still, now we have Draco's evil plan, so there is still a chance of an interesting conflict.

3. InfernoPlato

InfernoPlato First Year

As someone who enjoys politics, this idea really appealed to me. An uprising and political movement based on socio-economic conditions who finally get sick of it and decide to rebel? I could totally see a story like this dealing with politics, characters, themes, and in the climactic end, an uprising. The potential is huge for a great story with over arching themes.

Yet, when we get down to it, this story misses a lot of its potential. Just look at the latest chapter. We have a Wizengamot, split broadly into the liberals and the tories but we don't see any conflict! Hidden jibes, shouting across the benches. We have that spat with Flint but it just didn't deliver for me. Couple of spats and then Malfoy stands up, takes the stage, and wins unanimous approval? I had to disband disbelief.

We could have had a story which defined the political establishment, characters, parties, the muggleborns, the secret uprising, and Harry. So much potential, but much of it is wasted from poor characterisations (Ron, Ginny), a small world, and the uprising itself (which I consider to be poorly handled).

It's not all as bad as I'm making out. No, the story still has me coming back. The idea intrigues me and keeps me hooked despite bad characterisations and the bad action scenes. The idea itself is worth a 4/5 but the execution is something to be desired.

3/5

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The story is good, but the author's attitude pisses me off.

5. darkklight

darkklight Squib

The author paints good picture of a stable partnership between Harry and Daphne. Also does a good job at making Harry not seem overly powerful, but also seems to go a bit further in the other direction and allows harry to seem like an average wizard. Overall, 3/5.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

LOL! Well, that explains how he was going to keep the balance of the story -- simply end it midway, with the conflict not resolved. That's a smart idea, even if perhaps not satisfying for the reader.

Now that he went and extended it, we're back with the same problem we had originally. I still dislike just about anything about the Ynys Mon Muggleborns, including Harry staying there, while the other half of the readers will feel the exact opposite.

Maybe having Harry access denied would be a good solution; that way, the author could write Harry out of the story and focus on Daphne.

And Turpin needs DIAF.