1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Variable by meggannn - T - Steins; Gate

Discussion in 'Games' started by Miner, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Miner

Miner Order Member

Title: The Variable
    Author: meggannn
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    Length: 9500 words
    Pairings: Okabe R./Kurisu M.
    Summary: Okabe wakes up in the future, but twenty years of experience has helped Kurisu grow used to it by now.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10683812/1/The-Variable

This is set in the Steins Gate world line, after the movie. There are no spoilers for Steins; Gate 0.

So this is a fic exploring the relationship between Kurisu and Okabe: specifically how they could ever develop a relationship when both of them are far too reluctant to "take the first step" and initiate contact while they're separated by the Pacific Ocean. The author him/herself points out, rightly so, that the only time Kurisu and Okabe ever take any steps forward in their relationship is when time travel is involved.

Thus the fic. Without really spoiling it, it's a fic where Okabe travels to the future and talks to a future Kurisu who helps build their relationship with each other. It's an interesting take on the most popular ship within the fandom, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I really liked the character interactions between 19 year old Okabe and 38 year old Kurisu. It's fairly clear to me that the author's done his/her research; the characters' thoughts, feelings, actions, and words ring fairly true to me for the most part, which I think is difficult to capture considering the eccentricities and complexity of the two main characters in the series.

Of course, it is not without its flaws. The writing isn't perfect; technical errors could be found. There are flaws in the details within the narration; little stuff like Okabe having bad eyesight that makes it difficult for him to read his bedside clock, but able to see street signs from a hotel building window.
    The fic probably could have done without the awkward kissing scene. That one kind of broke immersion for me because I couldn't envision Okabe ever doing that with a 38 year-old version of Kurisu.

But I think that overall, the author nailed the characterization in the fic. The story, while nothing special, does what it set out to do.

Give it a shot if you're into the fandom.

4/5

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is actually pretty decent. I always forget how much I enjoyed Steins;Gate. I've been reluctant to watch the newer series because I felt as if it was, rarely, a complete and coherent story which didn't need anything else added on. But this was an excellent addition. While the media format is different, it feels every bit as relevant and consistent with canon plot and characters as a typical movie sequel or OVA might have been.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. This oneshot has its own internal story which comes in a neat full circle, and is memorable in its own way. It's a mild but warm piece of writing, and I'm glad I took the time to read it. I got very invested in the Steins;Gate characters, and this demonstrates them in a natural and entertaining way.

4/5

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So I was a bit iffy on this because I know fuck all about the fandom. I think what really made this work for me was that the relationship between the two characters was similar to Time Travelers' wife and a couple other movies where they try and salavage their relationships through time. It adds an interesting dynamic to things.

There's also the fact that the world appears pretty techy- so sci-fi lite if anything. And I'm a sucker for futuristic citycapes, lights from the city across the bay. Modernization. I know that's not really illustrated too much here, but in my minds eye as they jumped through time, I couldn't help but get that overall vibe. I dunno why.

Like Care, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this. But in the end I did. I'm not really into oneshots, if ever, but it was nice that this was contained enough to have a clear beginning, middle , and end. A sense of finality that a lot of one-shot authors lack.

4/5

4. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I agree with 4/5.

I remember reading this when Steins Gate Zero came out because I wanted an additional fix. It's cute and definitely hits the right vibes in the whole Okabe-Kurisu relationship. I could totally see something like this short fic being a bonus episode of the actual anime, for example.