1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The V's Have It by Mushroom Scribe - M (Kingkiller Chronicles)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by T3t, Aug 5, 2011.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The V's Have It
    Author: Mushroom Scribe
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance
    DLP Category: Misc
    Pairing: Kvothe/Devi
    Summary: Out of coin and out of options, Kvothe knocks on the only door left that might still open: Devi's. The gaelet is willing to put him up until he can pay her off... but what will it do to their relationship? What is it to begin with? AU Kv/Dv, squicks
    Link: FFN

Basically the only reason I'm reccing this is because it's the only Kingkiller story of any significant length whatsoever. Of course, it's not badly written. Style is passable, though the story is fairly dialogue heavy. Mainly character interaction. "Squick" isn't really squick, at least not for DLP ;)

Probably a 4/5.

2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

For all that a fic like this would be great in other fandoms, with Kingkiller, you simply cannot compare to the writing of the original.

Also, obviously written pre-Wise Man's Fear. I raged, quite hard at Devi not immediately slaughtering that guy.

Look, this fic just has nothing special about it. I don't see how it gets a 4. Devi and Kvothe don't really have much chemistry and the 'twist' didn't change the game very much at all. The style of the fic necessarily changes during the epilogue to accommodate the plot, and even during the rest it never equaled Rothfuss.

Look, just give Kingkiller fics a pass. The world as it is isn't very malleable and the characters are complex and unique. Fan fiction can't really capture them, unless a true talent gives it a go. This author is not a true talent.

2.5/5, passable writing, interesting concept, but shoddy pacing, limited plot and lack of a spark.