1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Joe, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    It's nothing spoilery.

How do I know this, you ask?

Years ago, when he was just starting out, Rothfuss sent me one of his original manuscripts for Name of the Wind. Here's the general gist of what's on the cover of that manuscript:

NOTE TO MY READERS: All comments are welcome. ANY comments are welcome. If your forte is spelling/grammar, feel free to point out whatever mistakes you find, though hopefully most of them are resolved in this current draft. If you’re more of a plot/character person, then please tear that to pieces.

Most useful to me are your reactions as you’re reading along. Comments like “I laughed here”. Or “I’m bored now.” Or “I like this character/chapter/dialogue”. Such comments are extremely helpful to me. Anything that helps me get a grip on what’s going on in your head while you’re reading is good. Questions work, too. Things like, “I thought you said his eyes were blue.” Or “Why does it take him so long to get home?” can help me spot little mistakes I’ve made.

Just remember. Don’t be bashful, and don’t be coy. You can’t hurt my feelings. In fact, I dare you to try. The more you write, the happier I’ll be. So if you think of something while you’re reading, please write it down.

Above all, enjoy the story.

I can make out a few similar phrases on the cover of this manuscript. It's just something of a disclaimer.

2. Heart of the star

Heart of the star Squib

I know it's been said that this is a trilogy. But does anyone know if there are plans for a sequel series or something coming out after this.

Because it seems to me that there are just too many loose ends to be tied up in one book, i mean it feels like we are still way in the past with the narrative and Rothfuss has put out loads of hints for new plotlines in the present. To me it feels as if we are barely halfway through the story not 2/3's.

Or am i just being majorly optimistic?

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

He often said that he doesn´t plan to write another Kvothe story in the foreseeable future but that other stories in the same world were a real possibility.

4. syed

syed Supermod

I made a comment once that the young Adem girl he made friends with would become the star in the nest book. A young warrior ecides to go on a quest, so goes to search out an old friend, a mage known through out the world and honorable student to the adem, a follower of lethe.
    Just because he said there would be no more kvothe stories, does not he wont ever bee seen again.
    IN the INHERITANCE cyle, the character Brom was said to have failed in every goal in life apart from protecting his son, eragon. He was a tragic figure, the last of the dragon riders, loosing everything he had ever cared for, lost much power he once had, fighting an impossible struggle. So using Kvothe as a brom like teacher would be a very big possible.
    So a young hero is found by mysterious stranger who turns out to be a once famous powerful figure of legends, cast down or defeated by his enemies.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I couldn't think of anything more frustrating than an epic-length series with an Adem main character.

I found them frustrating enough as secondary characters when reading WmF. Maybe it has something to do with them being ANOTHER 'different culture' in where sex is considered nothing special, you silly humans.

Maybe it has something to do with them condemning the ways of other cultures as inferior and incorrect while Kvothe sat there dutifully, nodding at every point and taking their ways as gospel. Perish the thought that they're right in one thing, and stupidly incorrect in another.

But it probably has most to do with the utter frustration and incredulity (and that is putting it super lightly. Whatsherface's laughter and unwillingness to listen to Kvothe on that regard made me more angry than Ambrode EVER did, weirdly) I felt at the whole 'lol, manfather' discussion...

More Elodin and Auri please. Much more.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. syed

syed Supermod

Auri is sure to get a mention, she is believed to be a princess rescued from the undead, so how can she not. They always have stories to tell.

It is commonly believed that Kvothe is part of the luckless line, so any children the maer has, will be his cousin. So what if the next story is about the child of a noble house set against the forces of darkness.
    Ambrose's father has been steadily rising in the line for the throne due to the death of certain nobles, but for this to happen does the maer or his lady need to die? Say they get knocked off, if they have had a child, kvothe could potentially become its guardian.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not sure if speculation is considered spoiler-ish, but I'll just preface this by saying don't read if you don't want spoilers etc.

I was under the assumption that Kvothe the 'Poet Killer'/ 'Kingkiller' ends up killing Ambrose, which is what probably sparked the strife that the world is currently undergoing at 'present'.

Speculation, but it certainly looks that way to me from what I've seen. Either that or somehow Haliax or one of the other Chandrian were/was/is a King of some sort.

I say this because it makes me doubt that anyone from the Jakis line with have much to do with any future works.

Personally I'd love a prequal that is focused on Elodin, but with his strange aversion to clothes, loopy nature and ability to speak Adem I almost got the feeling that he went chasing the wind in a VERY similar manner to Kvothe in his youth, lol...

For future reference, is it just 'spoiler, /spoiler' in square brackets to do a spoiler tag thing? Or do I not have to worry in this thread and is it assumed people reading it should come only when they finish reading, like me?

8. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

The tag is
    HTML:
    [spoiler]spolierish stuffs[/spoiler]
    But for this thread I supposed theres no need? I mean other topics way more spoilerish than your points have been discussed openly already.

9. songsparrow

songsparrow First Year

When speaking of "Doors of Stone", which isn't out yet and doesn't even have a firm release date, as far as I know, all we can do is speculate - some guesses may fall near the mark, but I believe Rothfuss will have plenty of twists and surprises no one predicted. He's given some hints, but I suspect he kept anything vital completely dark, so you can't unriddle the previous books until reading the next. He's too clever to let major plot developments be figured out before he's ready for the reveal.

This speculation should be under a thread titled "doors of stone", though, as it really isn't about wmf, but what comes next, correct?

Once the book is released, I won't be going anywhere near a Rothfuss thread till I've read the entire thing- that's the surefire way to avoid spoilers.

On a somewhat related question - how much courtesy do you feel should be extended to those who "haven't read the book yet" and don't want you to discuss it in their hearing and spoil it for them - but the book has been out months - or even years?? at the final HP film a girl asked us to stop talking - we had made just a few, very quiet comments to each other, about events from EARLIER books/films - because her friend had not yet read the last book and didn't want to hear anything about what happened before she saw the movie. My thoughts were: you have to really be trying to hear anything we're saying - we were VERY quiet and they were 4-5 seats away; we weren't talking about the current film anyway, we were talking about deceased characters we missed; finally, the book had been out for something like 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! That seems like an awfully long time to expect people not to talk about something in your presence, unless you're royalty, doesn't it? Opinions please?

10. syed

syed Supermod

It has been 2 years since the book came out, so by them even if you order books from libraries, it likely has come along. Spoilers are for before something comes out to around a year later, possibly.

Kvothe is said to get into an epic
    battle in the Imre, so powerful it melted the stones underneath them. This sounds like he used the name of fire, or wind to make a fire storm. THe belief is that this battle killed a king, and that king was Ambrose. THe thing is ambrose always had cat paws to fight his battles for him. ANd if Kvothe used such magic that stone was melted, then ambrose
    would have to be equally powerful.
    Do we think it will be a lucky trick like the dragon or the fire in the fishery?

People ask about why the University does not provide more scholarships to those with out magic, it is not about spreading magic, but focusing and controlling it.
    SO instead of of those with talent in the manner of Kvothe, what about offering reduce fees to those that can demonstrate a knack. THey have potential for magic already, so could produce a useful member of the Arcanum, but also allows them to study these abilities. if they could partially replicate knocks using alchemy, sympathy or even sygaldry, it would be worth it.

There are 6 clearly named styles of magic, with one more hinted at as well as one never mentioned. It just seems like there may be even more just hidden behind the curtain.
    There are three sort of hinted magics in the books. The nomads beyond the admere, are said to have power in their songs. There is d's idea about writing down may be a magic and kvothe claiming the chronicler could do it. There is also shaping, an art that may be an extension or version of naming. If shaping was a part of naming, then there would be examples of fools using it again, even after the creation war.
    I wonder if we will see shaping returning, we know some how the old monsters were, so what about the old arts.
    The totally unknown magic will be hard to guess, the ones seen has covered most common aspects of magic, so would have to be unique.
    We know kvothe is good at 3 of the 4 known to human magics, while poor in alchemy. Could he potentially learn any fae magic? If singing is a style of magic, then it is sure for him to learn it? any chance he could be a shaper? Could Denna's writing down magic actually be shaping? it seems possible, is shaping produces artifacts/entities, it would be the equivalent or sygaldry to sympathy, when compared to naming.
    I wonder if one day, their will be a master at the university for every type of magic?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I don't like this. Hollywood cannot compare to the power of your imagination.

13. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Especially since it's not being done by HBO. Fuck that noise.

14. syed

syed Supermod

One of his many names is "Broken Tree", he said it was prophetic but the thing is there is only one tree that has any true significance, that is the tree that the "Cthaeh" is bound to. It is a feared symbol to faen. If the tree is broken, could the creature be released?

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Oh Fuck, it's fucking Fox. Come on HBO, just cancel True Blood, the series was very good, but now it's simply ridiculous, and the whole vampire mania is mercifully in the past. C'mon. Oh fuck it, at least isn't Space. I hope Fox can pull it of, but, I doubt it. But I'm gonna wait until they reveal who's cast a Kvothe.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fox.... :(

If HBO did this, I would be over the moon.

17. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

So it will be shown out of order, at random times, and cancelled halfway through the first season? Awesome.

18. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Syed, the Latantha (spelling?) is also a very important tree, and Maedre (broken tree) is a Adem name, not to mention, his sword is called Folly. I believe this all comes back to our strangesex supermercs of honor.

19. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At best, this will be like Firefly - brilliant, but sabotaged and cancelled early on.

At worst, I don't dare to speculate. Game of Thrones meets Jersey Shore. Medieval Family Guy. Fox News attempting a physics documentary.

20. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

I want to be excited about this, I really do.