1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Having played my entire first playthrough on top difficulty, this fight can be pretty hard until you figure it out. In light or medium gear, one hit your quen and half health is gone, two hits you're dead.

This and eredin are probably the only fights where dodge is less useful than roll. Roll straight at him when he's firing ice projectiles, get close, whirl/fast for two seconds, roll away before he hits you. Raffords and swallow to repair damage from mistakes. Rinse and repeat.

And yeah. A lot of points in quen and a few in pots for the 250+toxicity due to knowing alchemy recipies will be really helpful for the difficult endgame fights (like that fucking L48 archgriffin). Also, if you have autobleed on fast attacks and the damage done = health restored decoction on top of troll decoction, the entire game, no matter the difficulty gets pretty easymode.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Ι always assumed we were talking about top difficulty. The trick is the same. Don't get hit.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still i wouldn't call it easy compared to most of the other fights in the game, which pretty much just require various alternations of dodge, quen, and melee strike.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Basically this, but coming from Bloodborne, this game felt like I was moving through mud, by comparison. Really frustrating.

I haven't touched 1.07 yet, and as I suggested, I won't go back until the expansions are out. I just hope I don't get the same frustrations if the BB expansions come out slightly before it, lol.

5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Ι would. Imlerith was the only one who gave me some trouble, and only because he surprised me when he threw his shield and was suddenly on steroids, and until I figured out the timing of his attacks.

Caranthir and Eredin's attacks were much easier to dodge, were much more telegraphed, and left more time free to attack them.

Most of the monster fights in the game (same level or higher, ofc) were harder than the end game bosses.

6. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Hardest fight is a fist fight with two guys in a tiny room.

I did. It's been a while since I played, but I went the 'every potion heals me instantly' facetank build. There was more to it than that, but I don't remember the details. I only ever used Quen against the big guys who can take all/most of your health in a single swipe.

The movement in the game frustrates me, so I just assumed I'd take hits and prepared accordingly. And yes, I play on the hardest difficulty. Oh, and bombs.

7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Just Returned to Kaer Mohren(still on my first play through) and man this is by far the best time I've had in the game. Everything felt so natural and drunk Geralt is just the best.

I wore the dress. Sigh, now back to sadness, death and cruelty.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lambert is a genius.

9. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Has anyone given Better Combat Advanced a go? I haven't been disappointed exactly with the combat, but I'm certainly interested in re balances.

10. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, the trailer for Hearts of Stone expansion has been released.

It looks interesting. I got a special edition and basically paid for vanilla game + the next 2 expansions, so I'll be getting this. What do you guys think? Will you buy it?

I hope it delivers on the promised gameplay time. With CDPR's history, however, I trust them (a phrase I never thought I'd use for a gaming company).

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll buy both and play ng+ with them next year.

13. YoungGunz

YoungGunz Squib

I found that the witcher 3 got really easy about half way through and since I have it for the ps4 I can't get any mods to rebalance the game, other then that I thought it was pretty great.

14. Louis Dabout

Louis Dabout Muggle

High Score:
    Hi I'm just wondering...Is Witcher 3's new DLC worth the purchase? Everyone says it is, but I'm unsure...

15. KGB

KGB Headmaster

So after replaying the main game I finally got around to playing Heart of Stone and I can't say I liked it.

First of all the reduction of the scale hits like a ton of bricks. You have just finished killing the leader of dimension traveling empire and averted an apocalypse and now you are forced to dance to the tune of some two bit bandit. It would be ok if any of the characters would have been even a little likable, but instead I just wished the game wasn't stopping me from killing them. It's like Avallac'h all over again.

Also the ending I got in the game sort of ruins the experience for me. I had the constant though of "Why am I doing this instead of going off Yen, or joining Ciri in some adventure?". I was expecting this being an old adventure Geralt tells as a campfire story, or something along those lines. It just doesn't gel well with the narrative of the main game.

The expansions story line also felt a lot more regimented in a way the main game just didn't. Sure the main story campaign was pretty much linear with minor choices that changed jack all, but you felt that that is the way things need to be. In the expansion it feels like "Because we said so!!!" method of story progression. I guess the video game term for it would be "lack of agency".

I guess I did myself a disservice by replaying the main game. It built up my expectation a bit to much and this rather average expansion just can't deliver on it.

16. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Really?

I loved the expansion, it was a short story within the game with moral consequences and fan service

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

19. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Oh man, my blood is going to burst from my head if I get anymore excited now! Looks good, Odran.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion