1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wizard on the Edge of Forever by rpnielsen - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by carvell, Apr 20, 2009.

1. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Title: The Wizard on the Edge of Forever
    Author: rpnielsen
    Rating: PG 13
    Genre: Crossover,Sci-fi
    DLP Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Harry/Kim
    Summary: During the fight at the Department of Mysteries, Harry gets taken for the ride of his life.
    Link:http://www.ficwad.com/story/119176

A very good Harry/startrek mix that i have been following for a few day's now with regular update's with 6 chapters (28351 words) so far.
    The story starts in the DOM before Harry get sent to the 23 century where he tries to find out what happened to the magical world.

2. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

It was trundling along nicely, nothing special, until this paragraph:

"As Captain Kirk introduced himself and each officer, Harry took a good look at each one. Kirk was an athletic looking man with brown hair. If Harry had had to guess, he'd say the man was in his 30's. Though his manner bore no trace of it, his eyes seemed to hold a lot of pain. They reminded Harry of Cho's eyes in the months after Cedric died, though without the tears."

DO NOT WANT. That one sentence made me want to hurt something very, very badly. That whole series of introductions are nauseatingly cliched. In fact the whole first chapter is packed with exhausting well-known and not even good cliches.

The second chapter continues with the cliched emoness and it is really irritating. There's just too much of Harry's a really nice guy who is so helpful and his warm and fuzzy persona is fucking annoying and it just persists throughout the whole fic. I'm not a Dark Harry fan particularly but this cloyingly sweet HP, gah.

I made it to chapter three and I can't stand it anymore, it has so many click the red X moments that even if it is sort of interesting I can't deal with it anymore. Going to skim through the rest see if anything changes.

Nope it doesn't change, do not want, do not pass go. I'm a pretty big fan of Darker HPs, this sort of fluffy, happy good person Harry gets my hackles up. My hate for the characterization of HP is warring with the fact that it's not that terrible a story and so I'll have to settle for the middle ground, 2/5.

[Edit] Mary Sue! That's the moniker I was looking for. Whatever the male version of Mary Sue is in HP fanfiction, HP is it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Average. Very average. I actually attempted to read this one when I got really, really bored. It's interesting at points but overall, semi-boring so far. It reads alot like a textbook, IMO. 3/5

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'm not actually going to read it, so I won't really vote...but I'd have to say crossing Harry Potter with Star Trek is worth at least 5 points to the negative.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Terrible. Badly written, no real plot beyond the idea "Hey let's stick Harry in Star Trek era!", poor characterisation, annoying Harry, everything is far too convenient.

2/5

6. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Well I am made of either stronger or weaker stuff than the above posted (and most esteemed) DLPer's.

It is a hum drum story, And if I had to rate it I would say it is an average Star Trek TOS crossover, and a above average HP crossover. And when I say that I mean half of the stories are better,and half are worse.

I feel the Story took a real nose dive when the writer sent Harry to earth. I liked the first two chapters much more than the rest.
    I would have hand waved Harry into a Enterprise crew member( top secret yada yada). Then you could have run the story with the episodes of the show as a backdrop. Ah well,
    Hey Taure I bleep over a lot of stuff, is it badly written, (usage, tenses, poor phasing, verbose) or badly edited (spelling, typos, ) or both?
    I think the plot is the seach for the way home, but I have been wrong before.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Badly written in terms of feeling like it's written by an illiterate 6 year old.

8. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

It's badly written, in that it's terribly plain. From a spelling and grammar perspective it's perfectly acceptable for the most part, from a stylistic perspective at times it can be appallingly cliche and humdrum.

9. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Thanks, Meatsman2.
    Pet peeve, What is with the car? Yeah Yeah, I saw the Star Trek preview, but that just brings it home, part of the "Greatness" of Star Wars and Aliens is that they told the story and made New Standards rather than falling back on "classics" of Earths past to make some point.
    Harry has a classic cherry red (with classic chrome accents) Sports car.
    He cool. He must be a hero like Kirk. Hey I need another dead horse to flog.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Gary Stu iirc.

2/5 for me as well. I'm a fan of Star Trek (TOS) myself, so I'm giving it a point for an interesting idea and another point for good grammar, etc. It doesn't get any point for good writing though, despite the grammar.

I wouldn't say it is unsalvagable though. Get enough feedback and some comments/tips on writing and it could be redone into something a bit more fun to read. Honestly the question "what happens to the magical world in the future when technology is even more integral to our daily lives" is one I've thought about in the context of HP and Dresden as well. I think there could be a good story here, though perhaps making it a crossover is not necessary. Technology doesn't work well with magic, and the more advanced it is the more it seems to have issues. Would sufficient technological advancement allow muggles to determine maybe not that magic exists, but that something seriously screwed up is going on? I mean, sure, Hogwarts is hidden (Or Grimmauld Place, or whatever) but at some point wouldn't technology be advanced enough to realize that there should be land/space/whatever present when they can't find it? Maybe, maybe not.

Could also bring into play the reverse of the "Technology doesn't work well in a high magic environment" concept and say that maybe, 500 years from now, technology is creating it's own sort of environment that is sometimes able to interfere with magic working instead of the other way around. Maybe Harry could find out that that far in the future, wizards stopped manifesting magic because it was hampered so much by the ... whatever, that technology has that doesn't mix well with magic and effectively died out while still existing (but not knowing they have special abilities). They could also have packed up as settlers and moved their asses to some planet where they could just say screw this technology shit and set up civilization there.

Heh, at this point I'm not even talking about ways that this story could be better, I'm off on a completely different story plot. Must be too late for me to be awake or something.

Ok, ok, sorry for the ramble. I couldn't seem to stop and this might not be the place for it. It's obviously a plot bunny I've had burrowing about in my head, but I'm shit at writing as far as I know (have only tried fanfiction the once, about... 8 years ago?).

I guess I'd prefer to give a it 2.5/5, but seems like the half-point rating thing is a bit taboo or something. I have to round down here, it just can't quite cut it to make it to 3/5.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  11. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, In this chapter I feel the writer missed two times when he could have added drama.

12. Hypodermic

Hypodermic Squib

I found the story weird. Never understood why anyone would cross HP with ST. I expected the Federation to know about magic but it is kept a secret. Section 31 might know about it or another Federation agency.

I'll give it a 2/5

13. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I did not like this fic, it gave me a headache.
    I give it 2/5

14. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I've read all that's been published thus far. It's not good enough for the Library; yet, I like the Hui Johansson OC. It's good enough to be a time-wasting guilty pleasure, so... 3 stars and to the Recycling Bin.

15. Deric

Deric Squib

It's decently enough well written and (obviously) I like it. However, it is not and never will be one for the library. Harry is not dark enough, the story is not dark enough, and there isn't enough violence to make it a DLP fic.

3/5 because I do like it, otherwise 2/5. Bin it.

16. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Nor is it well-written enough, sensible enough, or savvy enough in terms of what is smart to write and what is stupid. Cho's eyes except without the tears.

That's why this isn't a DLP fic. Lurk moar.

17. Deric

Deric Squib

It is average. Better written than 3/4 of the fics out there, but still average. Cho's eyes I interpreted as filled with the pain of loss, but was an original, though poor, description.

I will continue to read the fic, but it is not recommendable in, or to, this forum.

18. DamienIon

DamienIon Second Year

I couldn't get into it at all, very uninspiring 2/5 for me.

19. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I was planning an introduction for my first post, but, as a giant Trekkie, this caught my eye. I like it, I think it's well written, if a bit plain. The idea of Harry being in Starfleet is a bit unrealistic (canon!Harry? Starfleet?), so I'll hold judgment on that particular plot point until the story is fleshed out more. I quite like Harry's reaction to being in the 23rd century, and wish that the author had fleshed out the intervening time period, where he learns of WWIII, aliens (Spock in particular), and other things. I also like how he befriends Peter, someone who is woefully overlooked in canon Trek.

Taking all of this into consideration, it gets a 4/5 from me.

Although, I must admit, it does seem to spark a memory of something... Perhaps it was a fic that I once read? Where Harry went into the future and looked for wizards?

It's probably nothing.

MK

20. Osprey Trapper

Osprey Trapper Second Year DLP Supporter

Well, just read it over a ficwad (yes, it was actually working properly).

I didn't find it particularly interesting, and frankly I hate star trek. With a passion.

Sure, they might have come up with the idea of the automatic sliding door but that's *all* they came up with.

On the other hand, the author is clearly trying. That's worth a few points.

2/5