1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The World As It Appears To Be by Benedict_SC - T - Overwatch

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by T3t, Feb 5, 2018.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The World As It Appears To Be
    Author: Benedict_SC
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Drama
    Fandom: Overwatch
    Pairings: Minor and basically irrelevant, so hidden in spoiler.
    Angela/Athena
    Summary:

Magic is real. Angela Ziegler has a messiah complex. Angela Ziegler is one of the most powerful people in the entire world. Her friend the talking moon gorilla is very worried about her. Let's, uh... let's see where that goes!

Link: Ao3

This is by the same author who wrote CORDYCEPS, a psychological horror original-fic.

I neither play Overwatch nor do I know much about the fandom in general, so I can't judge the way it handles the source material.

From my perspective, the characters are distinct, the plot is interesting, and the author has a knack for humor. The one thing that I suspect may put some people off is that the author employs the narrative technique of "taking seriously" the source material, including in situations where this would naively lead to absurd results. Thankfully the author doesn't have an axe to grind, so most of those conflicts are handled in ways which manage to both stay true to the source material (from my limited understanding) without bashing the reader over the head with how clever the author is for noticing these deficiencies and deigning to correct them.

Fun story with a plausible ending which you probably won't see coming. 4.5/5

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This thread has been here since Feb. Is there no one else that can give it some kind of input? Does T3t's rating stand true?

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So, my relationship with Overwatch fics has been weird. I don't really like Overwatch as a game. I find it boring and tiring to both play and watch. Because of this, I tend to stay away from most Overwatch media, in whatever form it takes.

My dislike of Overwatch's gameplay often makes me forget that the characters are actually very interesting- some of them at least, and history and relationships between them are a lot more interesting than the action the game offers. My dislike of Overwatch will make me avoid Overwatch FF until I don't.

Mercy is one of those characters seen more often than not, due to, I assume, to her morally gray actions based on mostly good intentions. There's a lot to play with there. Do I believe that the various presentations I've seen in fanfiction are true to the canon story Blizzard has made? No. But, the base for it is there. There's just enough setup to make the possibilities interesting and give writers to something to work with while not limiting them too rigidly.

Now, as to the fic itself. It starts very strongly. The first few chapters are its strongest point, I would say. I liked Winston's perspective and portrayal as the bumbling, insecure scientist as he comes to the horrific realization and takes action.

Unfortunately, once that "arc" had run its course, the follow ups failed to grip me as intensely. In fact, the more I read the less interested I became, until I tabbed out one time and haven't gotten the urge to tab back in since.

I'll give it a 3/5, because it has some very good character voices and starts off very strongly.

Can't edit so posting again.

So, my rating has dropped to 2/5 after reading quite a bit further through a sleepless night of trying to fix my sleeping pattern. Well over half-way through and this fic has devolved from interesting exploration to straight up author fiat and AU-hamfisting of their headcanon/theories, particularly in regards to Athena. I'm quite sure that @T3t was aware of this and tried to deflect attention by claiming that the Mercy/Athena pairing is 'minor and basically irrelevant'.

It's neither of those things. It's actually one of the things the whole fic revolves around. And Athena, for those who might not remember, is canonically an AI. The leaps the author makes to explain that pairing and make it half-way presentable are ... alarming. And weird.

And quite ruinous to the overall fic, as it takes over from everything else.

Also, cue major character bashing out of the blue. So much for strong character voices. Literally introducing a major character just to bash the shit out of him. Yeah no.

This fic is shit. Don't read it. 1/5

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2018