1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Younger Potter Twin by DrT - R - HP/OC

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Wergan, May 10, 2007.

1. Wergan

Wergan Third Year

Title: The Younger Potter Twin
    Author: DrT
    Rating: R
    Genre: General/AU
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: HP/OC
    Summary:
    The Heir of the Founders, the Heir of Merlin, needs to set the
    future straight -- by going back to 1971.
    Link: The Younger Potter Twin

First off the summary sucks. I also know that the author isn't well liked here but unlike most of his work I liked this one. Basic story is Ginny being the idiot she is ran off into the final battle with Harry and dies, which causes him to be crippled for life (*cough*idiot*cough*) after a while Hermione and Luna come up with way to send him back, where he takes the place of his dead Uncle. The story while a bit about him fighting with Voldie is mostly about his interaction with his Father/Mother/Friends he makes while pulling string to influence the rest of the wizarding world. Also it has some interesting discussions on ways to make the wizardry world better.

The writing is nice, nothing bad but not anything to die for. Grammar is good as far as I noticed. The ending is a bit rushed. The pace is just changed it slowly builds up to the end and then he just kills voldie semi out of the blue. The Epilogue chapter is quite nice tho and nicely wraps up the story.

I'd personally give the story a 3.75/5. Hope someone else enjoys the link. (Also hope this story hasn't been posted before, I didn't see it in my search.)

2. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

It's not so much that DrT is disliked, it's that he is disappointing us with the low quality of his recent fics compared to his earlier works.

As for this one, while not being spectacular, it's a huge step up from his last time-travel stories (Tri-Wizard Redux, Re-Ordered). Unfortunately, this was mostly written before those two, so we can't take it as a step back towards the level of quality he once had.

Really, there's not a lot to say about the story itself. As I've said about his others, it contains all of the standard DrT flaws, but at least there's no pedophile homework prostitution or public blowjobs. I did enjoy how Harry got to be genuine magical aristocracy without becoming Malfoy or throwing around his uber-lineage, he just happens to be part of a widely respected family that has not yet been completely decimated with its last orphan heir raised by xenophobic muggles.

Otherwise, there's not a lot great about it, and it's really short compared to his better works. I'd give it a 3/5

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Just read this one. It's not bad. Way better than most fics. And lacked the smut aspects in many DrT fics that make me nauseous.

But it feels empty. There were hardly any "wow" scenes. Or crazy new ideas presented in a surprising way. Most of it felt generally rehashed from your usual old guy sent back to a younger body type fics. At the end though, it feels like a 60,000 word summary. Very little conflict, very little romance, no resonating themes or tones you've not heard before. I thought some of the letters from the 'Order of Founders' were written very well, but overall I can't see any reason to re-read this. Which tells me it's average and not worth recommending unless you're extremely bored.

You could argue this is better than DrT's other stuff, but at least his fics that blow (pun intended) rile you up. They make you angry or annoyed. This one didn't annoy me, but it certainly didn't enrapture either. And personally, I think I like being pissed off at a fanfic more than finding myself completely apathetic towards it.

2/5 feels too low for a story that's fine, with good grammar and a clear writing style. But 3/5 seems too high for a fic I'd not even recommend.

4. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I'll agree here with nonjon... This story lacks those "wow" scenes, something that make you read it again, or at least remember it fondly. It's too plain...

However for grammar and the style overall:
    2.5/5 (meaning: to read if there's nothing better)

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I've got to agree with Nonjon and Bukay. I read this work several months ago. As much as DrT's recent fics haven't been of outstanding quality, what good reputation he has as a fanfic writer rests primarily with his early works.

DrT's not had a four-star quality fic since "Companions of the White Warlock." "Younger Potter Twin" is good, but it suffers from the fact that DrT himself stated that he wanted to explore several variations of the same theme, that is, Harry going back in time to change events. It is the most original of those works though, not that it's saying much. It also suffers from an ending that's too rushed (something his other works exploring this theme also share).

Good grammar, somewhat original theme (by DrT standards), decent story, but too similar with other works -- 3.25/5.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  6. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

It's got a decent premise, well written, but it's just... "meh."

7. bmatsea

bmatsea Squib

not really one of his best works but i kinda liked it.

3.5/5

8. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

While I like some of DrT's works I found that this wasn't one of them. I felt like the story itself was just something to prop up the preachy letters from the "Order of Founders".

All in all this was one fic where I found myself waiting for it to pick up, but the poor thing just flat lined right on through.

3/5: At least it was readable and well thought-out even if it was flatter than a tortilla.

9. FantasyDuck

FantasyDuck Second Year

First couple chapters were good enough but it got worse and worse towards the end.

As far as I noticed, the story has good grammar and is easy to read. However, story-wise nothing really happens. Also, this story has probably the worst romance I have ever read.

2/5

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Hmm... odd, I rather liked it. Perhaps my fellow members are slightly biased, or perhaps you are comparing with his earlier works (Which I haven't read) but I personally thought it rated at least a four.

Of course I could just be happy to find a story worth reading too.... Dunno

{Shrugs}

It really doesn't much matter to me. I liked the premise, and while it wasn't riveting, it was certainly worth a re-read later.

4.2/5

11. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I plead guilty to comparing it to his other works. It's not a bad fic. It's not as good as his earlier stories, but certainly better than many of his more recent ones. In fact, I have the sneaking suspicion that if completely blind reviews were conducted-- with people not knowing the authors and titles of works-- that this piece would likely be rated on average at least a half-star higher.

12. gadriam

gadriam Second Year

I read most of DrT's stories, and i agree that the earlier works had a slightly epic quality that is completely lacking here. I like this story, though. It's the best of his rerun-fics in my opinion even if i miss the smutty parts. The Redux went way too far in that respect but in general, i like DrT smut.
    This story doesn't have the make-a-new-outfit-of stuff-in-the-closet feel the other ones have. It's fresher, but i can't really see it as something that attracts new readers. The new "Brother Z" seems a lot more promising. I won't go as far as to recommend it yet (in case anyone would listen to me) but given time...
    My 2 knuts.
    g

13. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Brother Z is a more pleasant read then the time travel fics, But it has little or no tension or drama. Not really DLP material, but a summer beach read.

14. Palt

Palt Squib

He wrote several fic's with the same premise - Harry going back in time. Out of those, this is actually the one I liked the most. I just wish he had fleshed it out more. It seemed too short and like others have said held minimal human interactions between the "founders" actions. This could have been one of his better works.