1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete They Shook Hands by Dethryl - PG

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Brooklynight, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Chapter 3 is up people. It's a great chapter. The story has slow progress, but we get to hear more about Lucius Malfoy's connections, and we get to see some more scenes with Harry and his friends. Provides a good contrast between how they act when they are together, during summer, and during school.

There is still enough Sirius Black updates in this to keep it Canon friendly at the same time. Nice chapter.

4/5 for the chapter.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. Dark Lord Rostam

Updated, again. You have to go to his Yahoo group for the chapter. It won't show up on schnoogle.

3. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Quite a few updates on Schnoogle since the last post to this thread, the story is still going pretty strong IMO.

I give this series a 4/5, it would have gotten full marks if it had deviated more from the canon books.

4. Dark Lord Rostam

He will eventually.

5. raesive

raesive First Year

"They Shook Hands" is near the top of my list of all-time favorite fics. Dethryl gives so much more dimension to the Slytherin characters versus canon, and so far I have loved all the changes he's made to the story line. After year 3, things have definitely started to change as opposed to canon. If anyone has given up after only reading year 1 or 2, it's definitely worth getting into again. Right now Y4 is close to finishing, and the author is definitely not abandoning this fic, though real life obviously slows down updates more than I like.

6. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Wow, I forgot this story was even going so thanks for the update. It's been a couple of years since I read it. Has it gotten better? Worse?

7. raesive

raesive First Year

Better, in my opinion. He's finally getting to the parts where he can divert from direct canon. I think he's trying to keep most of the significant plot points in place, but have them approached from a more Slytherin perspective. He's got up to chapter 14 posted, and I think he's roughed in to around chapter 23 of Year 4 with ideas and some outlines for all the years. He's definitely not abandoned it. :D

Your opinion my be different, as I was able to start the story with more of it already written and I've been doing some sort-of beta work with him.

I haven't seen a link for this anywhere, but being new I may have missed it. Anyway, he's got it posted on Fiction Alley:

http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/dethryl/

8. Jaysues

Jaysues Squib

Great story, and very well written which is always a plus. The characterisation, in my opinion, is done very well. I will admit, a few things niggle me badly, namely Draco's older brother at first. Initially, he just screamed Percy to me, but I have to admit the character grew on me as he experienced more growth.

His Blaise I am not a fan of, not a big fan of how angsty she became. I normally HATE Draco and Snape, but they grew on me in this fic. I am a bit iffy about his Lucius, as it would piss me off a lot if he didn't go back to Voldemort because of Harry.. Yet I can't see him NOT going back to Voldy. I guess a wait and see approach is good for that:p.

Overall, I would give this a 4.5/5. It was a great read, and managed to keep me entertained the whole way through. It is also fairly lengthy, which I love. If you want to read Slytherin!Harry done well, I'd strongly recommend reading this.

9. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Sort of a necro, but relevant. Dethryl's done a post-canon revision of Years 1 and 2. The main changes, according to him, are name changes from his original characters (Fem!Blaise, Jenna, Tim, etc.) to the official Slytherins named in OoTP, HBP and DH, and using less canon text in lieu of focusing on originality.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't know if anyone is still following this series but he just posted the beginning of Year 5.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9158765/1/They-Shook-Hands-Year-5

He mentions on his yahoo site that the fifth year is completely written and has been beta read. I don't know how often he is going to be posting updates, but it shouldn't be that long between updates.

I must say it is one of the darkest beginnings I have seen in awhile.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  11. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Pretty sure that first chapter is an April fool's joke.

12. Rache

Rache Headmaster

There is no way Draco Malfoy in this story would even come near Lord Voldemort, seeing Lucius himself is hell bent on avoiding the Dark Lord.

Either it's Polyjuice and glamours or an April Fools joke and I am leaning towards the latter.

I was surprised Dethryl hasn't killed off Dumbledore too!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  13. Lindsey

The first chapter may be a April Fools joke (I don't know), but he has been updating his yahoo group on his progress for awhile. Regardless if this chapter is a joke, he is still done with book 5 and will begin posting it shortly.

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Well, this is the second chapter of TSH, year-5.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  15. Sigurd

Sigurd DA Member

Just read through the series, and it has some good and bad points.

Generally good grammar and spelling, nothing crazy bad pops out. Characterization is fairly true to canon where possible. This may be annoying for some, but there are a large amount of OCs. This is almost by necessity though, as in canon there are a handful of Slytherins who are ever given names, much less given any real development. The OCs are well done though and don't really feel out of place.

He has a very good grasp of how to write children and their reactions to violence. No one is incredibly intelligent or stronger than people with years more experience. Harry isn't the one good egg in Slytherin who converts everyone to muggle-loving. He very realistically keeps his head down and is influenced by peer pressure/his environment. He may be reluctant at times, but by and large he does what any eleven year old in his situation would and goes along with his friends' beliefs. He also doesn't immediately unite all four houses via friendships. Ron and Hermione do not become his friends, because the divide between Slytherin and the other houses is accorded the same intensity that the Rowling books give it.

He has a lot of text/plot that seems lifted from canon. It's annoying that the course of the story so far has been so close to canon even with the initial change of Slytherin!Harry. There are some events that seem like they would be big differences, but they're don't have the impact that I first thought they would.
    Year 2 in particular had less impact than I thought they would. In year 2 Hermione is actually killed by the basilisk, and Harry actually tames the basilisk via parseltongue without killing it. The basilisk just ends up going into hibernation and is barely mentioned. The Chamber itself, despite having a study (presumably Slytherin's) that Harry notices, is never used by his group for anything other than dueling practice. He actually seems to claim the title of "Heir of Slytherin" during the fight with diary!Riddle, but that's never really explored either.
    By far the weakest part of the series, in my opinion, is an overabundance of relationship details. Nearly the entire fourth book is a waste because Harry's group begins to discover dating. That would be fine, but there are entire chapters that you could skip because nothing really important happens besides teenage angst. The final confrontation with Voldemort had an interesting spin, but it was a pain to wade through the middle part of Dethryl's book four to get to it.

I'd give the series as a whole (years 1-4 so far) a 3/5. It'd probably be a 4 or even a 5 if he recovers from the shitty book 4 and finally makes a proper split from canon in matters other than who Harry hangs out with.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In direct opposition to Sigurd, I quite enjoyed Book 4, only Book 3 was any better.

The rest of what he says is close on the mark. I give this series a 4.25 out of Five, rounded down to 4.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  17. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

So I had read the original iteration of the story years and years ago and made it through the 3rd year (i think, I really don't remember).

I just started in on the rewrites and have made it to the beginning of the second book and am enjoying it. Year 1 was basically a bit of a boring cannon rehash, but it was well written and began to give definition to the characters and I'd rather a boring cannon rehash than read about a 11 year old super wizards who end up taking over the world before their teens, which is what most first year AUs end up being.

So far 3/5 based on the technical writing and cleanliness, but I'll update my rating once I make it through what is written.

One thing that really annoys me is that the author decided that the OC 6th year prefect should be a spaniard named Jessica Conejo. It's annoyingly cracky and it ruins the suspension of disbelief.

18. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Ok, I've read everything posted and the current chapters are just showing some resemblance of "something happening". I'm down grading my rating to 2/5 because I had to read 600,000 words for "something to happen" which is shit.

19. Lindsey

This use to be one of my favorite Slytherin Harry stories as the characters were very well written. With the release of the fifth book, I have had to lower my rating for this fic.

The first half of the 5th year has been more boring than canon. At least moody Harry was entertaining in canon. This Harry has just been pretty lifeless with his friends throughout this year. Half of the content could have been cut and you would have the same story.

If you can get through to Christmas, things begin to drastically look up. There has been a major shift in canon (finally) that will have extreme consequences to Harry. It is both original and I can't wait to see what is going to happen. It should have not taken this long though.

3/5 due to the boringness of book 5 thus far.

20. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Yeah the 5th book is really disappointing. It's basically 10+ chapters of Harry Potter's everyday life. 1 chapter or 2 might be okay, but 100k words of uninteresting stuff is just tiring.

Book 1 to 4 are actually decent, though. I'd rate them at 3.5/5

That said, Book 5 is a 2/5. It's just filler.