1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete They Shook Hands by Dethryl - PG

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Brooklynight, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

So this has been updated a few times this year. Haven't read it because I worried it'll just be more boring shit. Has anybody read the latest chapters. HAS ANYTHING HAPPENED?

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Inb4 necro mod-rape. Have you read the Stickies?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I have no idea what you are talking about Scott_Press.

PWIZDUO, don't even bother. I am absolutely disgusted with how he ended the fifth book. He had a brilliant idea that I've never seen used before that could have been fantastic. It could have turned the whole story around.

Instead he took the brilliant plot device and used it in the most illogical and stupid way out. It's like a boring rehash of canon with a view changes to make it even worse.

2/5, only for good writing.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You should know better. This is the Library; there's no such thing as necroing here.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the Sticky:

Nevermind. Must've misinterpreted what I read.

6. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

It's one of those stories you have to read from beginning to end straight through without going off onto other fics. Or it is for me atleast. When I done it I read from book 1 chapter 1 to book 5 chapter 24 - trying to read the newest chapters without doing a read through again just doesn't work for me.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

And the fifth year is done and done.

Thank fucking god for that, this shit was horrible, but I persevered because I've read the previous four stories and figured I might as well finish the ongoing one before giving up on it completely.

Fifth Year was written in such a dry tone it was quite a struggle on my part to keep reading it until its very end. It's more than just the tone, I suppose, that changed.

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The entire book 5 was shit anyway. At least the author added his own spin on the previous books with divergences from canon.

And now we end up with an avenger Harry. This fic isn't getting any better and should be removed from the library. This just a time-passer now. Not DLP library material.

9. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I decided to give this story a whirl, since I've seen it referenced a handful of times on DLP. I didn't have a lot of expectations going in, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the prose of the story well written. The downsides to the story, however, stopped me from going further than midways through the second book.

Quite simply, Harry is an asshole.

I find it difficult to sympthasize with a bully, no matter how the author tries to justify his behaviour. In book 1, there was a scene between Hermione, Justin Finch-Fletchley and another girl, where Hermione asked Justin to thank his mother for making Hermione lemon cakes for her birthday and I hated Harry (and Draco) for ruining that moment, which was really well written (and quite sweet) on its own. The problem is that, it painted Harry as an utter twat (even if he sort of held back) and how exactly is the reader supposed to feel about that? Continuing in that thought, I also found it frustrating when the author justifies other things by changing canon; fx making Hagrid a roaring drunk to justify Draco Malfoy painting him as a terrible person to Harry (even though Hagrid certainly got drunk a lot in the books too).

The interaction between the Slytherin group, Harry is in, is two-dimensional and feels too fluffy. There's no real conflict between them, which makes it boring to read about them, even though I like the story's focus on their group's friendship.

The story is surprisingly readable, but from what I read, it will never amount to more than 3/5.

By the way, the story has a sixth book now.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sat down and read this over the last week from book one straight through to the end of book six.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I liked many of the characterisations and OCs. Some of the plot points were brilliant and some had the potential to be brilliant but the author failed to move forward with them.

Dethryl has taken a nice approach with the romance, no soul mates early in and making sure that Harry, as a nice, normal, slightly assholeish lad has a regular teenage experience.

On the other hand Dethryl completely screwed the pooch regarding the romance angle in the majority of book six.

It seems like Book Six was an effort for him to write. Jarring scene changes, plot jumps and incomplete subplots lent itself to a fic where it felt like there was no direction.

He's very good with reinagining Canon and tinkering with it but once the divergences became too big I think he's strugglwd with what to do.

I would rate this a solid 4/5 if it weren't for the single biggest problem in the fic.

14712275_358391287846702_106402806826532864_n.jpg

Down to a 3 because there's far too much quidditch and lifting.

Keep an eye out for book seven, The wrath of Swoledemort.

11. HarryNotHadrian

HarryNotHadrian Squib

My main issue with this series is the direct lifting of text from canon, including dialogue – which is often given to other characters or used to railroad the plot into the stations of canon. It happens way too often for my liking across the years.