1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thor

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Good fucking game. Well done, shiny :)

Also: Kat Dennings as brainy tech girl? <3

3. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. It got taken down.

4. Boo

Boo Auror

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Here's another link. It looks good

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Holy fucking shit. Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman are total win. I can haz future tiem machinez plox? I can't wait for next year.

7. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I dunno what to think. On the one hand, I totally agree with Militis - Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are win.

But, on the other hand, the outfits seemed pretty cheesy.

I'll just have to wait and see. Hoping it's good, though.

8. Portus

Portus Heir

Ye gods (pun intended), but I think it's going to suck. I hope I'm wrong, of course, but the whole "what you call science and magic, we call one and the same" line makes me think this is going to be a rip-off of the Stargate film, and even though the last segment with the "is that one of Stark's?" was pretty kick-ass, it still had a vaguely extraterrestrial technology feel to it, and way too much "Day the Earth Stood Still" vibe for my taste.

Like I said, I very much hope I'm wrong, in no small part because I loved Thor comics as a kid, and to be perfectly honest, eye-candy like Portman is always a plus in my book, but I'll reserve judgment until later.

9. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

Yeah, this movie looks very shitty to me. Personal taste though, etc. etc.

Funny thing from wikipedia, though, as I was doing a quick google to remember what I saw Kat Dennings from.

:awesome

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Question: Is Thor the nordic god Thor, or are they aliens who are modeled after the nordic gods? Or is it Percy Jackson-like?

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's Thor who is alien, but also original nordic god Thor at the same time :) . Like in the Stargate. I did saw PJ so I can't answer second question.

12. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So they are just aliens right, who have some powers? But they are not actual gods, like controlling elements, throwing mountains, immortality and all that?

Just humans regarded them as gods because they were advanced.

Hmm, I think I would have preferred the actual gods :D

13. Celestin

Well, I don't know about movie, but in comics, they basically can "control elements, throw mountains, and are immortal", but it's because of so advanced technology that it looks like magic powers even to readers.

14. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

Look up Clarke's Third Law, dewds.

15. Portus

Portus Heir

I never got that from when I read the comics but TBH that was eons ago, back when nobody cared to try 'splaining things; the reader was just supposed to take it at face-value that Thor was a god called down through the doctor what's-his-name's cane, etc. etc.

If they really *are* going for the Stargate angle (may have been done before or better, whatever, but that's the example I always think of, and it was actually kick-ass) then I'm going to skip this inevitably fail movie altogether, until I run across it on TBS or something. I admit that the Stargate film was kick-ass, but that scenario is no longer original and seems like a lazy cop-out to me. I mean hello, Norse God of Thunder here? There's the potential for Valkyries, the Midgard Serpent, frost giants, dwarves, a magical chariot... you know, the fucking mythology of it. Maybe the crap-tastic Clash of the Titans remake has made everyone skittish about mythology movies while the success of the Iron Man franchise is drawing plots in like a minor black hole.

I find myself wishing more and more often that instead of relying on CGI, multiple camera angles and rippling muscle in slo-mo to make an "epic", these movie producers would sit down and make the actual *plot* the epic part, and go from there. The example that comes to mind is The Matrix. The first film was beyond awesome, due in large part to its original plot. The second film I don't remember too well, but I think it was pretty good. The third, however, was an unmitigated pile of shit. Yes, the CGI was cool and it was action-packed, but the plot was just stupid, as if the clowns writing it had flatly given up even the pretense of trying.

I hear that Inception has a superb plot, but I haven't had the chance to see it yet. :(

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

...it's a movie about some Nordic longhair who flies around via a stone hammer. Of course CGI is gonna play hard and heavy in this film.

The one gripe I do have, if you can call it that, is the magic = science angle generating fail costumes. This -

[​IMG]

- is a more legit costume. Even the hammer is more appealing. They didn't go retro for the X-men outfits, so I dunno why they decided to do a throwback this time around. Ah well.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  17. Celestin

Ultimate Thor was badass when written by Millar. And the best part was when we couldn't be entirely sure if he wasn't just crazy, homeless guy who think he is god of thunder.

As for movie, I have good feelings. Magic = advanced technology angle is more for making it work in future, when they will make Avengers movie. And I'm pretty sure that it will look like magic on screen for viewers, not like in the Stargate where we saw it like advanced, but still only technology.

Also I can wait for Avengers movie, because it will be interesting to see how they will show so different characters from different movies in only one.

18. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thor was, in childhood, my favorite hero because he spoke Ye Olde Butchered Englishe. Since this movie doesn't do that, fuck it.

19. The Silent Knight

The Silent Knight Seventh Year

Still looks pretty epic to me, so far I've seen nothing to put me off watching it when it's out.

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've been waiting for this movie since I was like...Six. The trailer is nice, but I swear I nearly shit a brick when Thor DIDN'T get to pick the hammer up. I'm definitely going to go see it, and hope that there will be a little less "muscle ripple CGI stuff" and a little more plot. Then again, it's a trailer, so it is supposed to just tease you into coming.