1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on WW2-era fics

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Hahukum Konn, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

One thing I've been wondering, having done some reading up on Yugoslavia over the last while, is how this sector of WW2 might have played out. We're pretty well assured that Grindelwald was mucking around in Europe in the 1930s and 1940s, so it stands to reason there must have been wizards in Yugoslavia.

The question that brings up is, "What if Tito was a wizard?" He had a rather unusual run of luck escaping Nazis, and held his own against Stalin; allegedly several Soviet assassins were sent to murder Tito and they all failed.

Confundus charms and Imperius curses would answer the question of evasion of detection easily enough, and Legilimency would answer how he would know if an assassin was nearby, as well as being able to outmaneuver Stalin. I admit it's a wild idea, but most of the WW2-era HP fics I've seen focus on Tom Riddle, Albus Dumbledore, and to some (increasing) extent, Gellert Grindelwald.

Be interesting to focus on another corner of the magical world during the war.

2. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

:effort:

Also not many people out there know who Tito is much less want to read a fanfic about him.

3. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Tito Puente is the first Tito that always comes to my mind.

Your Idea could make for a good Historical fiction original piece, but not really Harry Potter material. To make it Harry Potter, you would have to tie in events from the Harry Potter verse. Other than magic.

4. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Mm. Well, I was sort of just batting around the idea in my head that you could ask "what if (x) was a wizard?" and fit it in with the Grindelwald thing.

(Hey, if we can get bad fics with American transfer students from hither and yon... :) )

5. Methene

Methene Auror

The story might work if you were to expand the scope of the story. True making Tito into a wizard might provide an interesting base to start from, but not that many people would be interested in just him.

If you were to portray magical society during WWII, with wizards on either side, for example having a Russian Warlock advising Stalin and the French refusing to get involved. I would be willing to discuss matters with you for such a fic if you wanted to.

6. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

Mm-hmm. This would be a fic that requires care and research on the part of the author. I wanted to get this out there and suggest it as a possible jumping-off point for anyone who wanted to write a non-cliche-ridden story about an aspect of the wizarding world that hasn't been well-trodden. :)

I don't know that I would be the best to take it up but I might give it a try after boning well-up on World War II history. :)

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

The only Tito that comes to mind is Tito Jackson from the Jackson 5 o_O....which Tito are you talking about?

It seems like an interesting fic, but I need some more info...like who is Tito.

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Josip Broz Tito.
    Lets just say that his resistance liberated Yugoslavia all by them self. But the AK (Polish resistance) was the most well organized.

9. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Now, imagine if Hitler could shoot lasers out of his eyes and freeze Allied troops to stone with his Superjewhatingglare of Doom.

Seriously, though, I've seen a few, but most of them either fail or do not focus on Tom or Dumbledore much.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It would be interesting, but without Harry or Riddle as the main character of the story, I'd probably get bored pretty quickly.

11. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Since the subject was partially broached here...does anyone have any good recs for young Riddle via Grindelwald & WWII ? I myself have never read a good one...