1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Three Families by James Golen - T - Avatar TLA

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Nerdman3000, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Title: Three Families
    Author: James Golen
    Rating: T
    Category: Adventure/Supernatural
    Chapters: 61
    Words: 1,236,700
    Updated: Dec 5, 2013
    Published: Jul 20, 2011

Summary: Three Families seek the Avatar. Three Families find the Avatar. Three Families use the Avatar. The story of how three sets of siblings are changed by the Avatar, amidst an endless war. AU, Want of A Nail.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7197056/1/Three-Families

This is probably my favorite Avatar The Last Airbender fanfic. It's a Azula and Aang Centric story that is by an author who you may remember as the author of the Avatar TLA/Mass Effect crossover "Avatar of Victory" which is in the Other Fandoms library. This story has many well written OC's, although you may at times skip over some of their parts in order to get to the parts with Aang, Azula, or Zuko. It is much darker than the cartoon, and it is AU. The update rate is ever 15 days by the way. It is currently at Book Three by the way.

The best twist in the story is by far:
    Azula is actually canon Azula who made a deal with a mischievous spirit in order to go back in time, but the spirit made a mistake, causing Azula to be trapped in her 8 year old body.

In the end, this is one of my favorite Avatar TLA fanfics, if not stories in general, and I do believe it can work in the library. I personally give it a 5/5.

Checked by Minion, July 11, 2015
    Story is complete. Thx to Qgqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq for the info

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I actually recommended this a while ago. The sheer amount of world building the author puts into this astounds me, however he writes in a particularly info dumpy way and it slows down the story a lot of the time. Still, this is easily one of my favorite stories. 4.5/5

3. frantic

frantic Boosted

I hate that fucking chick who travels with Aang so much. The one with the stuck-up bitch attitude who never gets what she fucking deserves, and is always permanently stuck in a "Well, actually..." mode. I would love this fic if she just would stop talking.

I still give it a 4/5, out of the crazy amounts of worldbuilding he puts into shit we rarely saw, like the Sandbenders and Ba Sing Se. That makes it really neat, and his Azula is so goddamn interesting too.

4. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Good story with great world building. I can't stand Nila though and she has a pretty big part in the story. Sharif and even Malu are good characters, but reading Nila is like the bad parts of Wheel of Time in my opinion. I do like what the author has done with Azula and Aang/Azula is a pairing I've looked for in the past but couldn't find anything good for.
    4/5

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Finally made my way to the last released chapter, and while some of the parts are boring, somewhat understandable in a 1 million word tale, it doesn't detract enough from the ridiculously awesome world building to keep this from being a 5/5 story. Once you get to book 3 and most of the gang is in the same area rather than 3 or 4 different cells, it's waaaaaay better. The spiritual/shaman stuff is a neat addition, and I just love the way the author shows the power of the Avatar. This story just has so many moments of awesome that are chill inducing. It's not a sit-and-read-the-whole-thing-in-one-go-story, but reading a few chapters a day is how I got through it, and I'm definitely glad I did.

That and Azula/Aang is just the shit even though it's not realized yet.

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

This story is now complete. And it was quite an epic tale.

5/5