1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Thrice-Glorious-Victory by Lord Mendasuit - M - HP / Fate-Stay Night

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Shezza, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Title: Thrice-Glorious-Victory
    Author: Lord Mendasuit
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action, Fantasy, Crossover
    Library Category: Alternates
    Pairing: Looking like Harry x Servant, but so far None
    Summary: Harry Potter thought that for once, with the organization behind the Holy Grail Tournament, he would be safe for a year, able to relax... of course, if you know Harry, you know it's not that easy.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10471954/1/Thrice-Glorious-Victory

Hey guys.

So, I've been on a bit of Fate/Stay-Night binge recently. I've re-read all of the old classics and I've been making my way through the crossover section. That's when I came across this.

Basically, it replaces the Triwizard Tournament with the Holy Grail War- and Harry gets roped into it as Master of Servant Saber.

It's not perfect, there are a few plot holes here and there, but overall I found this and enjoyable and satisfying read. I didn't like how a lot of the Servants have been reused, but there are a few ones who still come off as a mystery. It's not as grimdark as the Nasu-verse, and while the bond between Harry and his Servant kind of comes off as pretty quick, it was a somewhat touching moment.

I wouldn't mind Harry being a little more useful, but there's time for that.

I'll give it a 5/5 mostly because when I was writing this thinking about what to give it, I just realized that I had spent the last forty minutes reading this and completely missed the closing hours of my gym. If it's enough to distract me like that, it must be pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'd probably give this a 3/5 at most. There are some good parts but I found myself skimming a lot.

3. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

I have only read a chapter and a bit, but I must ask a question.
    Is it slash?

I have no idea about FSN, so I didnt know that Saber is a guy and not a girl.
    But already I have found mentions of a Ruler who is gay, makes Dumbledore blush, makes Harry and Sabre french kiss. Harry says he isn't gay, but then he admits he enjoyed the kiss.

This is setting off all kind of warning bells in my head. Is it gonna continue like this or is it gonna get better in that regards?

4. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Isn't that gay by definition?

Either way what attraction is there to a fic where harry can be forced into something like that even if it's not slash?

5. Jon

It's a chick, you're fine.

6. LilC16

LilC16 Second Year

The author definitely has a thing for using the effeminate-man cliche to explain an attraction between two men. It just felt like the Author was trying to throw it in my face how easily he could have made the Servant into a male by showing Harry's attraction. That and how out of character and unrealistic everyone is what made me decide to exit it. I mean, Harry and his servant jump into bed together, naked, after their first meeting. That couldn't have been more than 10 minutes ago. This was also just after they kissed. It's all very WTF.

7. Shezza

...totally not a dude, so it's okay.

I mean, I felt the same way- but the next chapter alleviated my concerns.

C'mon guys, would I really rec a slash fic?

8. Jon

We're engaged, you slut. Of course you would.

9. Punt

Punt DA Member

I coincidently found this fic just yesterday. The thing that I liked the most is the whole new take on the Holy Grail War using the TWT. I found the writing good enough but nothing special and the characters passable. The only thing that is carrying this fic for me is the concept. I'll 3/5 as of right now but it has a chance of going up or down depending on how the plot ties up.

10. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I would say this story is strictly Almost recommended. I mean last chapter was wtf.

Gender confusion ahoy!!

11. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I like it, it tries to be like that great harem/magic/purre awesome Magic King something manga, but the other isn't that good, and the serious moment feel very stupid and/or akward. But I liked it, and it'squite fun. A solid 3.5 to me, down to 3 because it's not really library material. Mordred is what saves this fic.

Edit: Just read the 13th chapter. If this goes think it will, wow, what a way to trash a decent fic.

Edit: That HGxM scene, never read somethiing akward and useless.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  12. Shezza

Never mind. I retract this story. Apparently it just went full-retard on this last chapter.

13. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Pftaahaha, that last chapter, wow!

2/5, an extra point for making me laugh so hard.

It's okay Shezza, I sympathize with your desperation to find some good FSN...