1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Thrower of the Dart By Vathara - T - Artemis Fowl/Avengers

Discussion in 'Books' started by thoriyan, Jun 7, 2015.

1. thoriyan

thoriyan Seventh Year

Title: Thrower of the Dart
    Author: Vathara
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Friendship
    Fandom: Artemis Fowl/Avengers
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Avengers. Artemis Fowl. AU for something that could have happened instead of book 6...
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11231872/1/Thrower-of-the-Dart

Rather shitty summary by the author, don't get me wrong, but I started reading it because the crossover is quite rare (5 total stories on FFN)and was actually pleasantly surprised at how two universes were put together in a decently cohesive way. Better summary might look something like this: Artemis Fowl's return to the present is fraught with new magical powers, difficult parents, distrustful Avengers, and murder attempts. (At least you know what to expect now.) :sherlock:

I thought writing quality was a particular strength, as was the author's ability to portray each character true to themselves - Artemis's father is fleshed out nicely. World blending works very well, a little bit of world building with Artemis's powers. Slight bias detectable towards Artemis but certainly can be overlooked. All in all I think it's a solid read and well worth your time. 4/5.

2. Callagan

Callagan Fourth Year

I posted this in Almost Recommended back when it first got put up on FFN, and I stand behind that. The good parts of the story feel like they could be one of the novels, but the bad parts are painful to read. There's obvious bashing, characters spouting amateur psychology directly from the author's mouth, and enough hurt/comfort undertones to make me feel queasy. I'm kind of shocked that you say Artemis' father is fleshed out nicely when I felt he was the worst caricature in the story.

I don't regret reading it, but there were definitely parts that were a slog. 3/5

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Not done reading it yet, but I'm with Callagan. A lot of parts are pretty interesting--like reading AF, before it sucked--but others...well, aren't. A lot of characters get flat-out preachy, spend an enormous amount of time focused on Artemis, and yeah, loads and loads of hurt/comfort stuff. A number of characters crossover into annoying territory as well, and several stay there for a goodly amount of time.

4. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I stopped at chapter 7/10 and I don't know much of Avengers so I don't know if this can be considered an accurate assesment. But between the risks that Artemis takes that almost exposes the people when his one goal is not to expose them and all the compassion the avenger cast is throwing Artemis' way, despite the fact that they all believe him to be a criminal, I don't really see me liking it.

Fowl senior does not feel particulary fleshed, the only reason it would seem that way is because he had no character in the books. The Avengers are constantly thinking about how Artemis is such a poor boy rather than unsettling. Worse, it is a thought you see constantly, not something that belongs to a character but that all of them do but Artemis Sr. It goes out of the way for Buttler to say that Coulson is a good agent -constantly- and vicecersa.

Then there is his plan of keeping the existence of the People secret by introducing Holly to the team, telling them she is not human and that there is a whole community of them living on Earth, after talking in gnomish in front of cameras, admiting it was her he was comunicating with and expecting it to be okay just because of a verbal promise with Jarvis he would not show the records unless he thought it relevant. Even more out of character, Holly seemed ok and totally blasee about it.

I mean, I do hope there is a reasonable explanation for that but at this point I am too tired of it to read what is left of it.