1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Tick Tock, Mr Potter by Hamath - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Johnny Farrar, May 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Title: Tick Tock, Mr Potter
    Author: Hamath / Samuel Black
    Rating: M
    Genre: Supernatural/Horror
    DLP Category: Independent Harry
    Pairing: None
    Words: 13,525
    Published: January 31, 2009

Summary: You are tonight's entertainment. There's only one objective. Survive until dawn, and you will be free to go." Azkaban just became a whole new type of Prison.
    Link: Fanfiction.net
    Work by Author in DLP

An intriguing and rather unique piece of fanfic. The story is quite captivating and the mystique keeps the reader immersed in it. A thrilling fic with some nifty action scenes with the backdrop of a dark and gory environment. The momentum upto the climax and the climax itself is stylishly written and the execution is well-handled.

The story was inspired by a challenge that can be found here.

I will rate this story 4/5. It deserves to be in the library from my point of view.

Checked by Minion, July 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2013
  2. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I've not read the story until now. SB has a very good writing style with only a few minor grammar errors. That being said, I don't know if the story is Library material-- even some 30 minutes after reading it.

I didn't care for the story's penultimate sentence. I think it took away from the story. I think it would have been better if the sentence wasn't used because it didn't mesh with the mysterious nature of Nemo. Of course, what didn't come up was if Nemo had used special effects makeup, and it wouldn't have since 'Tick Tock' is a one shot.

3. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Very intriguing piece of work. The story captivates you and tickles your mind. Though the HP characterization is quite dull, the mysterious voice is the absolutely best part of the story, though I got to say something is trying to find it's way out of the dark cave that is my mind and tell me that I've seen it before..

And yes, what knothead says in his spoiler has merit. Might've wanted to use another catchphrase.

Still, a 3/5 from me.

4. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

This one was pretty good.

4/5 for a solidly written one-shot that entertained.

5. Trulle

Trulle Second Year DLP Supporter

I agree. 4/5 from me, as it was pretty solid piece of fanfic. Some parts were not so clear, but I like the mystery on who this person was.

6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

This was pretty fucking stupid. I'm sorry I wasted the time it took to read it. The fight scenes were dull and failed to invigorate me. The premise was just stupid.

The story, like Nemo's attack on Harry, was without point. It was more boring than anything else.

Still, the grammer and spelling weren't terrible.

2/5

7. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I liked this story when it was in WbA, and I still like it. Interesting plotline, and the fight sequences, often a weak point in many fics, were well-written and entertaining. Props to SBlack for writing a strong fic.

4/5

8. blablablub

blablablub First Year

Well it's a nice oneshot not the best but still solid.
    The fighting was what made the whole thing a good read.
    Not my favorit but still good.

3.5/5

9. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

The fight scenes and in-depth exploration of differing styles made this one a very good read. 4/5

10. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

4/5 from me too.

The suspense is excellent and the action is good (if sometimes over-long). The fic's only flaw is the third act, where we just don't get a pay-off. I think the ending would have been stronger if
    the villain turned out to be a canon character who was nursing a grudge against Harry. The guy's anonymity just makes all the death and angst seem pointless.

Still, it's strong work and library material.

11. Dareycow

Dareycow Fifth Year

Awesome story, lots of suspense throughout and a great read.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending where

the villian is a complete OC and we weren't even given any history. Just "Hey, I'm the villian!" -The End-. I would of preferred a cliche ending where it was revealed to be Ron or someone else then it ending in the way it did. It has no purpose and without a sequel for such a great story it seems a let down.

Other then that it is a awesome one-shot.

Overall 4/5. A really good read. :D

EDIT: It reminds me of that horror, Saw I think? The voice, turning the people on each other... I think it was Saw.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Yeah, same as when it was in WbA. Like the story, hate the ending. Reeks of being different for the sake of being different, when it's a detriment to the story.

It's so cliche to have the enemy be somebody who actually matters to the protagonist or readers! Be avant garde and make it somebody that no-one knows or cares about!

Good before that, though. 3.5/5.

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The one inescapable failing is that writing this was motivated by a desire to incorporate one-liners from the Joker. Way overrated in the WBA forum, but at the time The Dark Knight movie was still fresh, so we joined in the Heath Ledger fanboyism.

I think that affected Hamath's decision to make the villain a complete unknown. It's like a villain from somewhere else popped into the fic given the lack of motivation and any hint of backstory.

The action and the environment of Azkaban itself is great, with the guards being forced to turn on each other.

3.5/5.

Simply removing the penultimate sentence, without otherwise changing the ending, would have drastically improved the final impressions.

I mean look at it, could you get any blander than that? The great reveal, its suspense built throughout the entire one-shot, is reduced to two stock details and three colors.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  14. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

At the end, I was strongly reminded of Scooby Doo, where the villain literally had his mask pulled off to reveal who it was.

"OF COURSE!! John Smith, the angry bus driver!"

Still, a solid 4/5 from me.