1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Time is the Fire by Oddment Tweak - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ficfan, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ficfan

ficfan First Year

Title: Time is the Fire
    Author: Oddment Tweak
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Angst
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Summary: What would you do if the only way to save the person you loved was to sacrifice everything else that you held dear? DH-Epilogue compliant, sort of. Some HP/GW and RW/Hr, but ultimately, epically, HP/Hr

I found this few days ago. When I read the summary, I thought this is just the usual "Harry-find-that-to-save-Hermione-he-has-to-let-her-go-and-he-must-marry-Ginny" fic. Turned out I totally wrong.

This is a time travel fic, with a lot of complexity and drama inside it. Not your everyday Time Travel fic, and also not the usual cliche H/Hr fic that contains many Bashing.

link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6033933/1/Time_is_the_Fire

2. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

A what?

filler

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

A 'Harry-find-that-to-save-Hermione-he-has-to-let-her-go-and-he-must-marry-Ginny"' fic Archer... Come on!

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I do not know this type of fic.

I'm sure I don't want to either. This should tell you something.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I unfortunetly, do.

Too bad, if I had to suffer from it, so do you:

Basically, Hermione's in love with Ron, but Harry's in love with her. So to show that he loves her that much, he lets her marry/date Ron. Later on, Ron abuses Hermione/cheats on her/does something else wrong and she goes into the arms of Harry for comfort and support, which breaks up the fragile marriage he has with Ginny, teetering on the edge for some reason or another. Probably has to do with her becoming Molly 2.0 or just being critical of Hermione or some other reason.

6. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Yeahhhh, not really what happened in what I manged to read, so might read this story at least a little before giving it the rating it should get?

I mostly read up to chapter 11, skimming the boring parts. Problem was the story was just boring, so I skimmed basically all of it...

7. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

He was explaining what the mentioned cliche is and how it plays out, not this story.

8. Vermis

Vermis First Year

Eh...the story was kind of boring. Couldn't capture my attention and I think, because of that, it was a little hard to follow. Didn't really make a whole lot of sense, I don't think. There were also some grammar errors strewn about, etc. Not my cup of tea.

2/5 at most.

9. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I want to read a HermoineGinny fic. Two annoying bitches. No penis.

10. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

I couldn't get through it. After the first ten chapters of Hermione mooning about, I had to stop. 2/5, for acceptable grammar.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I couldn't really get into it. POV changes here and there and unexpectedly. As was said above, +2 for good spelling and grammar.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read 5 chapters... before it got kinda old. I was gonna continue, but then I saw Vege mention that shit wasn't explained 10 chapters in.

2/5.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Though it does have its dry moments in the early chapters, it's actually a very good story.

It manages to do Time Travel (multiple instances!) without being completely asinine, Canon Epilogue without being an infuriating disappointment, Harmony without being a single-minded ode to how annoying rabid Harmonians can be, Epilogue Redo without being a preachy anti-Weasley bashfest...

And there were vanishingly few grammatical errors.

AND it is a complete fic.

It was a job exceedingly well done in a world of fanfiction that I often feel is rotting from the inside out due to a tide of fic that is either horrible, abandoned, or both.

And it did so without any pandering to any particular fanbase, either.

Oh, and 5/5.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  14. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This, basically. It starts off slowly, but gets a lot better towards the end. 3.5/5 from me, rounded up.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was waiting for a positive review. Now I actually might give this some more of a chance.

Thanks Warlocke.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Hehe, you can save the thanks until you find out whether you actually end up liking the rest of the story. That way you won't have to recant if it still turns out not to be your cup of tea. ;)

Oh, and did I mention it makes the "Camping Trip that Time Forgot" actually tolerable?

Someone needs to write a story with that title.

17. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Sounds pretty fucking retarded to me. Not even gonna read it, so I'm not gonna rate it.

18. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

So, partly due to the fact that I enjoy more Harry and Hermione fics than most on DLP, and part due to instant dismissal of this fic for an inadequate reason, I read this despite the exams looming ahead of me.

Warlocke’s post covered a lot of strong aspects – no bashing at all, and tied in to canon, sans the odd twist scattered throughout the years.

I will readily admit Time Turner’s are a little overpowered in this, and extremely dangerous. Makes you question why Hermione was permitted one, or anyone ever, given the power they're given here, but it's a means to a well written end.

Having the early chapters separated into a past and a “present” in the first half of the fic worked well for me. It was easy to follow – far easier than Orb of Slytherin, wherein something similar was employed but in a non-linear manner while this is.

Contrary to most, I found the beginning quite interesting. Actually, it was the best part. The mystery and angst were different and interesting.

The worst part of the story was the middle. The monologues of Harry and Hermione’s feelings for one another were way too long. We get the picture fairly early on: conflicting feelings, fear, love. But the author repeated this with different words throughout three or four chapters. It got irritating. However, one aspect I did like was the continuity – sentences and statements repeated throughout the story at key moments.

Unfortunately, what starts out as a mystery, semi-original piece devolves in the middle into a rather overdone (for me, at least, as I’ve read a dozen or so of these) Harry and Hermione together scenario from after Ron abandons the trio in DH until after the Battle of Hogwarts. While I understand why it was written in the scope of the story, it still is unsatisfying after the, for me, interesting opening. I was expecting more post-Hogwarts material.

After the fantastic opening, I’m feeling a little disappointed. Nevertheless, the fic was almost flawlessly written. I’ll rate 3.5/5.

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    When I read, my initial reaction was similar to scaryisntit's--the intro/mystery was decent and executed well. There was a natural break in the middle, and then I was very disturbed by the finale, one which showcases two incredibly selfish and self-absorbed people.

Imagine a real life analogue: Harry and Hermione secretly crush on one another as kids, but don't hook up. They each go off and have lives and families with spouses and children who adore them and whom they love dearly. Then they find out through Facebook that the other one loved them all this time and they regret not getting together. So, they fuck, divorce their spouses, murder their children, and live happily ever after together. The end.

It's monstrous and I'm very annoyed at having been made to be emotionally invested in such wretched characters. No matter how strongly the "what ifs" and "coulda beens", you don't fucking kill your kids to live out some lame-ass fantasy.

I don't think I've ever wanted so badly to reach into the monitor and shake some goddamn sense into idiots purporting to be halfway intelligent and deserving of some respect.

Fuck this story with a blowtorch. 2/5, which seems too high.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  20. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Had this fic ended before Chapter VIII I would have given it a 4/5. I enjoyed the perspective changes and the time jumps, even if they were hella sappy. Now I find myself with the initial mystery resolved and having to read another H/Hr version of DH. With no more real mystery and only what I can assume is another fluffy camping trip fic, something tells me I won't be finishing this...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010