1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Time Travel / Dimension Hoping Stories that don't insult my intelligence.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Freed, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Freed

Freed Squib

So I believe the title of the thread says it all but allow me to elaborate a bit. I'm looking for stories that involve a intelligent Harry Potter that time travels and or dimension hops. Stories in which Harry doesn't spill secrets and future knowledge like a 12 year old Ron with a bag of galleons in Honeydukes during a 2 for 1 sale. Stories in which blatantly unrealistic situations do not occur, e.g. Dursley abuse, blatantly Manipulative Dumbledore, etc. Stories in which Harry makes careful, methodical use of future knowledge.

I'm not strictly opposed to "outlandish" scenarios so long as they have relatively acceptable methodology / explanation to them.

Harry doesn't necessarily have to come from cannon. While I don't really mind either way I am partial to a more intelligent, experienced and/or jaded protagonist.

A few examples of stories in the vein of what I'm looking for:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8082923/1/Give-It-Your-Best-Shot

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5511855/1/Delenda-Est

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6517567/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Temporal-Beacon

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8730465/1/C-est-La-Vie

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3155057/1/Altered-Destinies

--
    This is an example of a stories that's a bit of a stretch for me but would still fit into my above description:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10139565/1/Travel-Secrets-Third

... So, any recommendations?

2. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

A few months ago there was a thread that pretty much dumped every time travel story that several others and I knew of. If you're willing to wade through the shit, there are some decent time travel fics to be found here.

I'll add a few more I've come across recently that I don't remember being in that thread.

Phantasy
    Tom Riddle was fully expecting to stay in hell forever. But the brat-who-lived and friend has, of course, come along with an offer too tempting to refuse. Albus Dumbledore was fully expecting Harry Potter's name down for the next year at Hogwarts. He just wasn't expecting two Dark-Lords to be enrolling as well. Time-travel -sort of- and FemHarry

- Meh quality, but is a bit different than most time travel fics. I found it entertaining if you ignore the cringe worthy parts.

Harry Potter and the Time of Green Angel Vespers
    A fallen rose, a green angel imprisoned in ivy, the amber eyes of an owl. By a dark edict of fate, a dying Harry awakens not in the afterlife, but in a time and place where someone else bears the scar: the 15 year-old Elise Potter... The Girl Who Lived.

- This one's in the WBA, and I think it could be pretty fucking awesome if it actually gets anywhere. Hasn't gotten to the time/dimension travel part yet, but I follow it anyway.

Diadem
    The days of the Boy-Who-Lived have long passed, few of his peers yet live wrinkled with age. Always the exception, a youthful but infamous Harry Potter is commissioned into a desperate dimension-hopping gambit in search of the key to not only Britain's victory in the coming war, but also his freedom.

- Just starting out, but it's decently written and goes about the time/dimension travel from a rather unique angle.

But yeah, take a look at the thread I linked. It pretty much covers all the decent time and/or dimension travel stories I've ever come across and many poor ones that I haven't.

If you have anything not mentioned there, please share.

3. Freed

Freed Squib

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Harry Potter and the Turning of the Sun by Lord umbrex reviews
    AU past OP-After Harry is thrust back in time, he has to survive his final years in Hogwarts and live his new life around people he knows will become Death Eaters. Can he beat his prejudices and give people a chance, or will he crumble under the pressure?
    Harry Potter - Rated: T - English - Chapters: 33 - Words: 251,380 - Reviews: 922 - Favs: 1,340 - Follows: 1,730 - Updated: Dec 25, 2013 - Published: Sep 19, 2010 - Harry P., Bellatrix L.

Pretty sure this was posted in almost recommended a few months ago, which is a good home for it (though personally, I do think it's library quality). It doesn't have a stupid ass Dumbledore, it doesn't have anything outlandish (beyond the means of getting into the past in the first place, but that's something you're just gonna have to take heh), no silly personifications of fate or some other random deity, no Hermione ass pulls. It's a pretty canon compliant Harry, but yes, he is more intelligent and better at magic. To be perfectly honest, I dig this tale a whole lot.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How long a story? Does it have to be Harry that traveled?

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the sounds of it you want primarily in-universe stories. Are you opposed to other series/fandoms as the dimensions being hopped into?

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Backward with Purpose is one of my favorites, though Harry does fill Dumbledore in on things once he gets back. I think that makes sense though as opposed to being a dumb thing to do.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

9. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I really like A Necessary Gift because of the characterizing, interplay between characters and wit. It's just a pleasure to read.

10. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

The Dimension Shift by Dream
    Red

An accident in the Department of Mysteries forces Harry fourteen years into the future where he finds himself trapped in the middle of four warring factions in a much changed Wizarding World.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
  12. Freed

Freed Squib

It doesn't have to be strictly harry that traveled. So long as its well done. Unless the story looks to be particularly promising I prefer stories with at least 40k words. Anything less and I find it too little to really sink my teeth into.

I prefer in-universe simply because I don't read that much modern literature which Harry Potter would most likely be x-over'd with.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Unfortunately I've already read the vast majority. There seem to be a few gems I've missed though

13. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Yeah, time-travel stories are dime a dozen, but few are better than canon retreads with a clairvoyant Harry who can "fix everything". I wish I had more to offer, they're my favorite and least favorite kind of story to read.

14. Punt

Punt DA Member

I don't remember the name but I think nuhuh had written a pretty good one. VoTN's The Unforgiving Minute is awesome as well though it might not be what you're looking for.

15. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Y'all motherfuckers mention Heartlands and Wastelands but not the beast that is Joe's Hero trilogy?

Hero trilogy

16. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

GreenGecko's trilogy. The third one is still incomplete, but the other two stories are long and well-written. It features an Auror Harry that accidentally gets addicted to dimension hopping and predictably gets into some trouble with altering events...and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The first of the series is Resonance. Except I don't think the dimension hopping trouble starts until the third so you might be in for a long wait.

17. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Other than creating a paradox or something, why would it be stupid to fill people in on secrets of the future?

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The more people who have future knowledge, the more people able to make changes and thus change the timeline. If you've gone back in time with a specific goal in mind, it's best to keep as much to yourself as possible so that your future knowledge isn't invalidated by the butterfly effect. Sure, some of it is going to be useless because of your actions, but every other person you tell is another person able to act and invalidate some of your foreknowledge.

After all, what use is future knowledge if the present you're in completely invalidates it all?

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Fuck preserving the timeline.

Change is good, let the AUs arrive!

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I recommend you start with Black Comedy, Circular Reasoning and then this: FanFiction.Net