1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Timely Errors by Worfe - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by nonjon, Jun 2, 2008.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Timely Errors
    Author: Worfe
    Rating:T
    DLP Category: Time Travel Fics
    Genre: Supernatural
    Pairing: NA
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 130,020
    Updated: July 7, 2009
    Published: April 15, 2008

Summary: Harry Potter never had much luck, being sent to his parents’ past should have been expected. Time Travel fic.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4198643/1/Timely_Errors

It's been a while since I sent a fic through the For Review grinder and after looking for one, this seemed the best candidate.

I'll warn you all, straight off, there is nothing ground-breaking or brilliantly creative here. It's just a very tightly written, somewhat standard "Harry goes back and visits with his parents" story. 99% of the fics you say that about though involve some god awful whining, angst, or blow my fucking brains out retarded drama. This one succeeds where all those fail because it's not pushing the emotional envelope.

Considering the setting, Harry is pretty calmly accepting of his situation. The idea of "time sand" isn't too much of a stretch, and Harry's preferences towards the days of the week I thought was very endearing.

Maybe it's simply that 'lack of fail' is close to enough to 'win' these days, but I've been eagerly reading updates as they come out. And they're pretty regular updates of about 10,000 words each. We're at 7 chapters, 72,000 words now, and I'm really not sure how much more fic there will be. Maybe Harry really is going home soon, but I'm inclined to think there will have to be a Voldemort confrontation before he goes.

I'd give this 4/5 with potential to go up to 5/5 if it keeps updating regularly or adding some more action and adventure to this somewhat uninspired plot.

Missing Scenes:

Title: Timely Errors Requiem
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 16,192
    Updated: April 13, 2010
    Published: July 7, 2009
    A collections of unimportant, everyday moments missed from the fanfic Timely Errors...and how they change the world as we knew it. Warning, leaps through time expected.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5197953/1/Timely-Errors-Requiem

Checked by Minion, January 6, 2013
    Added the "Missing Scenes"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I read the first few chapters of this a short while ago and it was pretty good. However I remember it began to dreg on shortly after Harry arrived. 3.5/5 from what I recall.

3. Ancalion

Ancalion First Year

This isn't a bad fic, but it can only go on for so long without anything interesting happening. If there's another chapter with nothing inventive, purely the day-to-day going ons, I'll probably just stop reading it. The author is pretty good at writing, but good writing can't do all that much for a story without an imaginative plot to back it up.

I'll also go with a 3.5/5.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, a nice fic, but nothing special.

What first drew me into it was the method of time travel this author had used and an uncommon level of curiosity it managed to inspire in me. It's almost a shame the author then veered into the well threaded waters of Harry-meets-mummy mediocrity, as this plot device opened quite a few interesting possibilities with Harry and other students going to different historic epohas and such.

But anyway, as nonjon said, the story itself is decently written, but idea-wise, pretty pedestrian. There's not a single subplot or idea we haven't seen before. Mysterious transfer student, Harry/Lily/James love triangle, (not overwhelming) angst over seeing everyone young & alive, Sirius the quasi bad guy, some Voldemort interaction, etc... Pretty much the entire grocery list of Harry-meets-parents genre, only tastefully done, instead of overblown to insanity as is usually the case.

On the upside, the author beefed Harry up a bit and dumbed down everyone else, so he'll actually be a better wizard then everyone in the past, contrary to the canon. That at least might attract a few readers sick of the mediocre canon Harry. It sure keeps me coming back for more.

5. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I really like what the author's done here, for a lot of reasons. I've read stories where Harry goes back to the Marauders, but they're usually so angsty and terrible that I want to vomit rather quickly. Good work avoiding that. Also, I enjoyed his method of time travel, as well as the bit of humor inserted tastefully into the story. Ditto to everything IP said about nothing truly original, but well done anyway.

I'll give this a 4/5.

Kevin

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I enjoyed this well enough for what it is. The author is pretty good at characterization.

I guess my only fault with this story is the lack of action. This fic is more General/Drama than anything. Im hoping to see more action and what he has have planned for Harry.

Maybe Harry will end up staying longer in this world than was intended of the time sand. That would be interesting, no?

Anyways overall, I enjoyed this story.

I'd give this an easy 4/5

7. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Dear God .... please let something happen! I keep thinking that maybe this is going to be a VERY long fic and the author is just doing the 'slow build' but I think that was pretty much used up by chapter 6.

But maybe with the cameo by Voldemort there is actually something in the works.

What was it -- he was supposed to stay from 1-3 weeks? We've had one week of Lily(Hermione) which is a cliche that really annoys me. I'm almost wishing Harry would make a pass at her just to get some juice going.

I'm going to reserve my score on this officially until the plot starts to reveal itself. But for now it's a very average 3/5.

8. yhelo

yhelo Sixth Year

There is something about the writing style that I really enjoy. It may not be the most creative story ever, but it definitely entertaining. I haven't read any other Harrygoesbackintimetomeethisparents because the idea in general annoys me. This story doesn't.

4/5

9. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

4/5 -- It really isn't a "DLP" fic, but it's certainly well-written and fairly entertaining.

10. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I'm not entirely sure why, but I really liked this one. I too found the days of the week bit endearing, I also likes the umbrella drink quirk. The fic is nothing amazing, but it is well written and it does pass the time well.

4/5

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Excellent. I like it.

Every single story that I have ever come across with a similar premise has Harry angsting constantly about his parents. Horribly irritating, to say the least.

Also, Harry seems rather competent in this story, which I like, even if not many examples have been shown so far.

I give it 5/5. For managing to pull off a decent story with that type of plot.

12. Imperius

Imperius First Year

The last two chapters were interesting and author has added some new plots to such a cliche storyline. He has developed the side characters like Frank and Alice well.

I will give it 3.7/5

13. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

The character interactions are really well written. Not much has happened, but I found myself not really caring. I like the authors writing style. I spot grammar and spelling mistakes here and there, but they're negligible becuase I'm drawn into his story.

Time travel to the marauder era generally earns barely a glance as I skim summaries, but I liked this story. 4/5 for me.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Huh. I find myself liking this one a lot. A nice laid back attitude so far and a good read. The lack of emotion dramaz is a nice touch to the genre and the travel method was inventive. Nothing spectacularly groundbreaking but a good solid read none the less.

4/5.

15. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Found this to be quite a good time passer. There is nothing here that stands out as brilliant, but it tackles the horrible cliché of travelling back to see mummy and daddy really well.

4/5

16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Damn, writing now seems too much like bandwagoning. Eh, wahtever.

There are some, rather cliché parts that annoy.
    Alright, basically, all of it is cliché. Remus is smart and bookish, Lily is studious, James is immature, Peter is weak and blindly follows his friends and Harry pwns all in his mighty glory, staggering everyone with his abilities and bringing James and Lily together with some love advice.

On the other hand, it's still well done for most parts. Lily isn't all two dimensional, Remus is morally weak, Harry is rather relaxed and not so angstish...

Normally, it'd be a 3.5, but I've always wanted a HarryTravelsToMWPP that wasn't utter shit. I've given up looking ages ago.

4/5

17. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yeah, I agree that this is probably the best of this kind of stories. In fact, if I had to give a recommendation, then read this one and no other I can think of, and you might not think terribly of this kind of story and enjoy it without cliches.

18. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

In the overall sense of fanfiction, I'll give it 3/5. If I'm measuring against the usual fare of crap in HP in MWPP time, I'll offer a 4/5.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read the first 5 or so chapters to this a while back and didn't like it so much, but today I went back and re-read and liked it immensely. 4/5.

20. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

As said, the time travel was implemented rather well.

What worries me... What's the fucking plot? Is Harry just going to wander around the school angsting while people slowly befriend and discover him... and then he'll go back and everyone will forget everything? It just seems like a waste of time to read if at the end of the story, everything Harry does just brings everything back to the status quo. There are a bunch of ways the story could branch out and evolve... but for it to remain on the course it seems to be on, seems dreadfully wasteful. Or teasing.

Yeah, that's it. This story is just a teasing bitch. Take it all off, already.

Tenative 4/5