1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete To Children Ardent For Some Desperate Glory by Agravaine - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by enembee, May 17, 2010.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: To Children Ardent For Some Desperate Glory
    Author: Agravaine
    Rating: M
    Genre: Tragedy/Horror
    DLP Category: Dark Arts? I have no idea
    Pairing: HP/LL, NL/HG
    Summary: A small band of increasingly erratic survivors fight a losing battle against Voldemort's regime. A pacifistic response to the glorification and gloss-coating of war in the fanfiction community. Minor to major AU elements from fifth year on.
    Link: FFNet

I'm really in two minds about posting this. I'm not a huge fan of the concept, or the message behind it. At times, it seems ludicrous to the point of childishness, despite the horror it's supposed to be trying to emulate. And the entire thing feels rushed, though I think that's the effect the author was going for. Despite all this, there's something in the language that the author uses that's incredibly captivating.

If you can get beyond some of the awkward prose and pure incoherence, there's something worthwhile here.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the M in the thread title.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I more or less agree with you. I liked a lot of moments, my favorite was Arthur mourning the microwaves and cars lost when several Muggles were massacred. Oddly touching. Some of the arthouse nonsense did get overbearing, but didn't regret reading it. 3.5/5 - 4/5.

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I thought this was a beautiful story. I actually cried at the end, surprisingly. I wish it had had a more definite ending, but that's my only real complaint. Luna was written very well, also.

4/5 because I felt it should have had a real conclusion.

4. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The story's good but feels like it's missing something in its current structure. It would work better for me as a one-shot.

It feels too good to be a guilty pleasure in the recycle bin but it's not quite library worthy either.

When in doubt, the vote goes to the recycle bin. 3 stars.

5. Maki

Maki Sent Back to India

I see what you guys mean, but a bit confusing and over-the-top for me. Just not my cup of tea. 2/5

6. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I found the fic to berather bland with a few highlights.
    3/5 from me

7. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I really liked this fic, it was perfectly written for the kind of fic it was.
    Really, 5/5. No fic has actually managed to move me like this one did in a long, long time. Sure, there were flaws but the flaws worked in the authors favor.

On top of that, the authors style of writing is simply amazing. The battle scene really is a masterpiece.

Perhaps this is just me though, I am the kind of reader who always gloss over descriptions in writings, my imagination likes to run away with what I have just read.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I rather enjoyed this. The writing wasn't perfect, but it worked well for the story. As Stenstyren said, the battle was really good, and I really liked the portrayal of Arthur. Ironically, given the message of the story, the Cruciatus powered Tommy Gun was rather a cool idea, if a little...odd.

On the other hand, there were a few moments where I couldn't quite make out what had happened, like
    Neville's death
    , and it just sort of tapered off rather than ending. 3.5/5

9. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Suicide. The prose was the note.

10. Portus

Portus Heir

I thought I'd already rated and commented, but apparently not.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it, though it isn't what I'd normally like. It's hard to explain, and yet the part I remember most is my facepalming at
    Arthur using Crucio-bullets in a machine gun.

My own rating is 4.5/5, rounded up for the writing quality.

EDIT: @ VotN: I thought it might have, as soon as I saw your post in this thread. Now go write the remainder of that bitch... bitch.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  11. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Definitely agreed, though I really, really liked everything else. This highly influenced 'The Unforgiving Minute'.

5/5

12. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Naww you guys.

And that's probably a good call. If I ever get around to rewriting this, that'll be the first thing to go — after redoing the entire Lee scene, with which I've never been happy.

Look forward to reading it when I'm done with exams. Full disclosure: this itself was highly influenced by The Dying of the Light by Rebel Goddess, literary title and all.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  13. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

This is probably one of the first really great Harry Potter fan fictions I ever read, so perhaps I am a little bit biased. Granted there are some very... fan-like.. ideas, but the premise of turning the whole thing around where Harry and Voldemort essentially switch positions, Harry being the hunted criminal and Voldemort being the government, is a very intriguing idea. This story is very close to how the seventh book should have been handled. I also loved all of the characters (I mean, how can you not love Arthur Weasley, the Mad Muggle-lover?") and I thought the story brought up a lot of good points about how what we look for in these grimdark stories like Renegade Cause and Circular Reasoning, and why Harry Potter is a little screwy. Plus the writing is awesome, and the prose support a very solid story. 5/5 from me.

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Moved this back into For Review since it has 4 stars. I'll leave it here for a week and then place it into a category if it retains it.

15. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

I wrote this around 18 or 19, and thus it is ghastly, but I've never left the premise behind. The first three chapters of a new draft, reworked and reimagined, are available in WBA. Those still need a good edit, but many more words exist than are present online, and feedback is welcome. /author

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017