1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

To read the Denarian trilogy by Shezza

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by potterheadcharles, Feb 27, 2015.

1. potterheadcharles

potterheadcharles Third Year

Hello all. Didn't know where to post this, so I am making a new thread.

I want to read the Denarian series by Shezza but I haven't read much of Dresden Files. Only book 1 - Storm Front - is done.

So, how much more do I have to read Harry Dresden for me to enjoy that Harry Potter completely? There are, I suppose, 15 books. I thought it would be better to ask since I am going through all the work only to read the trilogy.

Dresden is all right but I live in the Potter world. So, help would be much appreciated.

2. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

You don't need to have read all the Dresden books but I recommend that you do because they are great. Whilst the first couple aren't too good the rest are brilliant.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You don't need to know anything. I, like many other DLPers, read the Denarian series before the Dresden Files. The Denarian series is what got me to read DF in the first place.

4. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I did read first book of that Shezza's series. I had some serious issues with it, but none had anything to do with me not knowing anything about the DF universe. I didn't have troubles understanding it. When I read that story, I just imagined it's some kind of world with demons and angels (like Diablo books) and left it at that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly don't remember if I read the Dresden Files or Denarian series first.

I think you'd want to read at least the first five, if only because the fifth one is where they properly introduce the Fallen.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

When I read the Denarian Trilogy, I'd either only read Storm Front, or that and Fool Moon. Either way, I got along just fine.

Those are still the only two I've read. :|

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Jim Butcher has Shezza to thank for quite a few of his book sales. I hadn't even heard of the series until I read the trilogy.

8. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I read Denarian before I ever read Dresden Files, or knew much of anything about it. It kind of made the first few Dresden books worse, I think, tbh, because I was comparing the two. I never did get past Blood Rites.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God Ash, I don't think you could of stopped any closer to when it starts becoming awesome. :(

10. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

*could have

I didn't see myself liking Dresden more as a character...shocked that I read as far as I did, really...testament to how much I thought of the people recommending it, I guess. People kept telling me it got better, but it just put me to sleep whenever I tried to read it.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

More interesting to me is whether the Denarian Series will spoiler shit from the books? I'm at the eight book of the series, and I don't want no spoilers.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No spoilers.

13. potterheadcharles

potterheadcharles Third Year

Thank you everyone. Denarian it is. 4 chapters done already.:p

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Not surprising in the least. The only reason I got past the first 4-5 books is because I was in India and there was literally nothing else to do except read. Even then, it took me half a year to get through them because it was just so boring to me, and I also hated Murphy's character, which didn't make it easier to read.

Ash
  15. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

The general rule is, if you don't enjoy it by book 3 or 4, you're not going to. Dresden's actually a pretty simple character when you get down to it, and very slow to change.

The quality of the writing in the first 2 books is also much lower than the subsequent entries.

As to the Denarians, books 5 and 7 give you the basis for how they work and what they're capable of.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

You... complete me.

--

You know what blew me away? I gave Storm Front to my mom (what sequence of events prompted me to do that I cannot recall - maybe she'd run out of mysteries) and she really dug it. So, I gave her Fool Moon and, after finishing it, she razzed me for not reading the others, because it meant she was out of Dresden to read.

Whatever my reason was for loaning Storm Front to her, I figured she'd probably hand it back after a couple chapters and say she wasn't into it. *shrug*

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had my mom read the books too and we both love it. Every year she asks me when the next one comes out.

I'm actually a bit surprised that so many people haven't read the series here.

(And yet so many people are still into Naruto :facepalm)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

In my personal defense, I started Naruto when I was 13 and much less discerning of good fiction. By the time story development went to crap I was much older and just enjoyed the world.

I find Dresden incredibly difficult to read though. His character just pisses me off too much.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's because you're a peasant ;).

20. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Love Dresden, but it took me almost two years to really read it all. The first 3 books were good but I wasn't addicted, loved 4 and 5, 8 and 9 made dial back on the reading. Introduced them to my brother, he devoured them all in a month, abd he is extremely picky and bitchy about everything. I actually started Dresden thanks to Awaken Sleeper by Water_Mage.

Back on topic, I recommend reading at least book 5 so you don't get lost sometimes.