TOMD 3: The Prisoner of Bragkaban.

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oz, Nov 17, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Today, was winterizing my car by putting on my winter wheels and changing the oil. Discovered the source of the slight steering vagueness to be a worn bushing on the control arm, rather than a wheel bearing, which is quite lucky.

3. Yaz

Yaz First Year

At a client's. Its fucking snowing. I've recommended relocating to St Barts three times already... idjits.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Procrastinating going to work, for I have a work-sponsored health checkup today. They recommend not working with any dangerous chemicals just before the exam.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    My car spit oil at me today. It's sentenced to the garage for 3-5 days.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

Funny. I read that as my "cat" spit oil at me today, and I began wondering what sort of genetic experiments you're carrying out in your garage... XD

7. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Weirdo neighbors came through again! One of my next-door neighbors, in a truly stunning display of intelligence, decided that the e-book I'd stashed on my bookshelf was just too tempting to leave lying around. After I agreed to lend him one of my novels (A rather bad softcover one that I'd hardly miss) he also grabbed said gadget yesterday. (He may be an asshole.) I didn't actually notice until it was near midnight, and I assumed that either I misplaced the thing myself or it was taken accidentally.

This morning I found the mangled remains of said e-book at my door in a pathetic little grocery bag with a sorry note attached. As far as I can tell he spilled something on it, then proceeded to break the case open in a futile attempt to repair the damage, which ultimately led to a pile of stained parts and a thorough mechanical fatality. Neighbor's been away all day so I haven't been able to confront him, but I relayed the story to my family. To compound things, my mom decided on her own to contact my neighbor's parents, and this is not the first time something like this has happened, it seems. Neighbor turns out to be something of a klepto.

Just about an hour ago, his parents arrived to 'talk' about things. Haven't heard anything yet. More as the story develops...

Nae
  8. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Supreme Mugwump

It's an ebook reader, for god's sake, man. not an ebook.

9. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

Accepted my first job offer today.

I start work in December. Hopefully I made the right choice!

10. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Eh, you got my meaning.

11. theronin

theronin Order Member

Congrats!

I just received an interesting offer today from my college. They are looking for an additional instructor for an upper level lab class for the spring semester. It would mean if I find a job anytime soon I couldn't start until May/June, but it does give me something to do in the meantime.

If anyone has experience with this kind of situation, how likely is it that a potential employer would be ok with this? I suspect it's not too uncommon since a lot of companies hire seniors with this expectation, but idk.

12. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Bookdepository included a voucher for 100$ discount on Australian wine with the latest delivery.

With free delivery inside Australia, it offers 15 bottles of wine at 140$ (discount included). Since it's basically a reference link, any Australians want to liberate this of my hands?

(from http://www.winepeople.com.au/)

In related news, Butcher's "War Cry" looks as awesome as expected, except the simple but beautiful bare cover looks a few times better than protective colorful paper jacket on top of it.

13. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Congrats. What's the job?

14. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Slug Club Member

I just accepted a full time position at a local bank in the area. It's entry level, but the first full-time job for my resume. In addition, the bank has a strict policy to promote internally rather than hire externally, so there's decent upward mobility.

My real reason for working at the bank is to write a more accurate fanfic that involves the goblins. ;)

15. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Minister of Magic

16. Nae

Nae The Violent

Got a raise recently. Was asking for a bigger one but the CEO can't afford that atm. Oh well. Hopefully the company does well over the next few months. People with a *much* worse resume than mine are earning better right now, and I've beginning to feel it. :/

Edit: Roarian: I would rage so hard. :eek:

17. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Found out there's no Final in several of my classes today. Woo!

18. Yaz

Yaz First Year

Our selection committee had a guy who all the interviewers loved. He was a NCAA college athlete with just 'good' grades but lots of extracurricular and loads of leadership potential. He also had, through his sport, a unique opportunity to travel and play internationally for a year. We actually recommended to him that he take that opportunity; we also had HR contact him a year later, when we hired him. That turned out to be a great decision. If a company really wants you, they'll work around all sorts of things.

In our industry, most firms hire for a June/July intake. Without knowing your industry target, I'd say your competition is probably still second semester seniors - and this arrangement could make you stand out against them. You should pitch/position yourself that way in your interviews... and if you are still waiting to hear back the results of any outstanding interviews, I'd make follow up calls to update them on the offer (our HR puts people with multiple offers at the top of the recruitment pool for selection committee discussions).

Figure out the drop dead date for telling your university 'Yes' or 'No'. Interview like crazy, but be up front until then. After that, you'll just have to see what comes. As cold as it seems - your university doesn't own you after you say 'yes'. It just makes any follow-on decisions harder.

By the way - my university allows alumni to still use Career Services. You should see if yours will allow that for you too; if not, try to negotiate it. If you are taking this job for just one semester, it shouldn't be too hard. Good luck with your decision either way!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  19. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    I'm probably biased here, but "instructor" on a college campus will look good on any resume, and it's something you will be able to put on a resume the rest of your life (or until it is built up enough you don't need it anymore).

20. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I passed the final unit I need to graduate from my teaching degree. I'm now a qualified teacher and I can't stop smiling.

I also have an interview for a job that I would love to get coming up. Anyone have any general interview tips that they'd like to share?

Not open for further replies.