TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. wordhammer

wordhammer Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Jigsaw puzzles; play with Legos; build models; try learning an art program; play old video games that don't require constant online presence; learn how to tie knots; start a fish tank; fix loose furniture; teach pets new tricks; no pets, you say? Time for a kitty!

Or you could write fanfiction.

2. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I don't think sign language is applicable but I'll keep it in mind. Next week I'm going to the people responsible for checking this and have them explain to me what it is exactly that I need, and what the extent of my language skills in that third language has to be. It'll be illuminating, I'm sure.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    TOMYD 1: went to the Harry Potter exhibition at the British Library, which was pretty interesting. Well worth a visit if you can get in.

TOMYD 2: two young women, I think American, standing behind me at said exhibition and looking at a picture of Snape, and expressing shock at him looking like an ugly, old goth. I bit back the urge to ask them if they'd read the books at all.

4. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Alright this might just be my ignorance showing but why is that a bad idea? Never owned property and I'm Canadian so I'm confused.

5. Erandil

Erandil Headmaster

Partnering with friends(or family) in deals like this often invites a whole lot of unnecessary trouble, especially if something goes wrong. It is the whole "money and friendship don't mix" idea.

Edit: To give an example - when my parents had to rebuild part of our farm after a fire a few years ago they decided to go with an architect and a construction firm that both came from our village and which they knew reasonably well. However those firms botched the job(which could of course also have happened with a different contractor) resulting in a lengthy court process which ruined our relationship with the them. Relations naturally soured but since it was a local firm the dispute didn't only happen in court but naturally every time you met them and their friends. And since quite a few other people in our neighbourhood also worked there relationships between them and us naturally also deteriorated. In the end it not only meant years of troubles with our neighbours but also that my parents settled with a less than ideal settlement simply because they wanted the whole thing to be over as well as not having to constantly worry about what stupid thing an angry neighbour that may have lost his job due to it my get up to. Even today our relationship with those people is frosty to say the least (I come from a village with at best 50 people in it and I still can think of maybe two families we are friendly with^^).

As you can hopefully see that was a whole lot of trouble that could have to a large part been avoided by simply hiring a stranger. And that was a with a neighbour, being friends tends to result in even more drama.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    That moment at a quiz when you say that the study of plants is herbology rather than botany because you're still thinking about the exhibition you went to.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

Just finished a rough draft of my new resume.

My last review came with a very shitty raise compared to the amount of incredible work I've been doing, and the market rates for the skills I have. I knew I was being underpaid but figured my raise would catch me up (as I got a 10 and 15k raise in the past). Nope. They are trying to tell me that I am now at market value.

Perhaps they are looking at the national pay scale, but the recruiters I've been talking to in Seattle are estimating I am about being underpaid by 10k-30k.

Oh well, I was getting bored of my job lately anyways. This is just motivation to go get a new job, even if I feel slightly bad as I am making incredible amounts of money already compared to the national average [and Seattle average].

8. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

By that logic half of the population should constantly feel bad. Comparing yourself to three average like that just doesn't make any sense. You say recruiters say you're being underpaid for your position/experience? That's really all the justification you need on that front to look for other offers.

There's other factors that should go into that choice of course, but as far as monetary reasons go? Sounds like you're in the clear.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good friend of mine visited today from a different city to help me set up my new rig. Good thing too, as he ended up well taking over very quickly.

Hadn't seen him in a while too, so it was nice.

New PC is a fucking beast but it's missing a graphics card since there's NO FUCKING GRAPHICS CARDS ANYWHERE FUCKINGBITCOINMININGMOTHERFUCKERSKILLYOURSELVESASDGHJ-

Hoping to finally get one soon.

10. Seyllian

Seyllian High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You poor soul...

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

So @Erandil answered this pretty thoroughly, but to expand a bit, it isn't just a matter of not mixing friends and business. It's a matter of my friend being an unsophisticated investor with real estate (smart generally, but inexperienced in this area specifically.) That means in terms of weird costs, understanding of risk, other financial stuff he's at a huge knowledge deficit.

That means more stress for me, and a strain on the friendship, if I partner with him on a deal. This is extremely undesirable.

12. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Well, it's confirmed now. I need a third foreign language on A2. Spanish seems the way to go.

Apparently the reasoning behind this rule is that they want to see if we truly grasped language as such -- learning and teaching it. This a) makes me feel as if they think the other languages were just one hit wonders or flukes, and b) I think that three foreign languages is a curious number; as if two wouldn't suffice to prove that I have truly grasped language, whatever that means. Seems like a flimsy justification for shitty regulation.

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Was it hidden away somewhere obscure or something? Because something like this should really be front and centre - taking a language to A2 level takes time. (I think it was a 150-200 classroom hours estimate from scratch, but it's been a while since I last laid eyes on those numbers.) You've got a few advantages due to background, and at A2, most of the disadvantages of your age aren't really a factor, but it's still a heavy investment.

Have fun learning Spanish, I suppose.

14. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

I can't recall it being on the website back when I enrolled several years ago. But since I changed between school forms in between my studies, I probably missed it. I had no reason to return to the subject description and look for changes on the website. It's there now though. Still, regardless of how it came about that I missed it, this weird requirement definitely blindsided me, and now I've got to do it.

I'll take an intensive course (60h in 3 weeks) in March for A1, and then two more courses from April to the end of July, taking my exam for A2 afterwards. I want to get this over with before I leave for Canada.

15. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well there are a lot of DLP members that speak Spanish. I'm sure some of us can help you out if you have issues.

16. why?

why? Third Year

High Score:
    @Eilyfe, check this out.

Seems like a ridiculous requirement. Sorry if that's too obvious, but have you checked if this was part of your original study agreement? They can't impose it on you if it wasn't. At any rate, 0-A2 can be done in about six months, with a few hours a week. It's the consequent jumps that are a lot tougher.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Weighed in yesterday and I'm down 9 pounds from my first weigh in which would put me 20% to goal. By calories I'm down around 7, but the water weight is a nice psychological boost.

18. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look. Sadly, what they're doing is legal and done according to regulation. Ah well, I guess it could've been worse. At least I'll learn some Spanish now. Keep your eyes open for my Spanish fics. They'll be pouring in before you know it.

19. pbluekan

pbluekan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The bright side is, @Eilyfe , the additional language makes you that much more valuable as a teacher, and if you should change careers it’s a phenomenal thing to have on a resume. It’s a pain in the ass, but an extra language never hurts.

20. Invictus

Invictus Prisoner

My father had my uncle, his brother and an architect, be the one responsible to build his house. It was a fucking disaster, now we're stuck with a house that wont sell for a multitude of issues and they're forced to lived right next to each other (genius idea of the two brothers, share a lot, build a semi-detached house to save money) and relations are... not nice, even if the proximity forces them to be superficially cordial to each other.

Keeping it professional allows you to take a lot more measures to protect your interests, you can have higher expectations and you can, and will be able to do a lot more without worrying about losing someone you otherwise care a lot about.