TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

ahhhh don't use windows 7 either it stops getting security upgrades in less than a year! :v:

But yes, you absolutely can use an SD card as an "extra drive"! It should just appear by default as your D: or E: drive, at which point you can install applications and store data on there. For example, a great way of saving space is to right click on "Desktop" "Documents" and "Downloads", go to properties, go to Location, and then move the location to your new drive. Also, for all that it has a bad rep for some frankly appalling sec fuckups, CC cleaner isn't half bad about cleaning up space.

For chrome, discord, skype and the like I'd stick with keeping them installed on C. Unless they offer a "portable" installer option, it's best to keep them in program files or program files (x86). I know that Chrome doesn't let you install it to non-boot drive, and I'm sure the same is true for Skype.

100% agree with you that manufacturers shouldn't be selling laptops with 32gig drives for windows machines though. That price range and usecase is served better with a chromebook 90% of the time, and the other 10% of the time you run into issues exactly like the ones you're facing now. That's a problem with OEMs though, not Microsoft, and certainly not patching or system updates.

2. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

TOMPast 3 days: Having a great time in Rome. One more day to go and then back to work.
    It's a small world (TM): I just ran across Newt Gingrich outside the Pantheon. I had to google for the reason he might be here.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lenovo, eh? It's probably clogged with Chinese spyware.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    What would the Chinese want from me, though? I don't have a social life, I don't Skype with jihadis, I rarely buy online, my social media presence is minimal and I don't torrent anything. Although I suppose I did just use the phrase "Skype with jihadis" twice.

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who cares? It's China. They just want to be friends. With everyone. Like, really intimate friends. Very, very, very intimately friendly....friends.

6. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

TomD: Planning on upgrading my PC to be capable of VR, only part I'm stuck on is the case. Can't decide whether to go minimalistic/sleek, or maximum air-flow and LED's aplenty.

7. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What about sleek with maximum airflow.

8. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

Well yes, that's the ideal. What I meant by maximum airflow is those monster cases that are almost more 'Fans Go Here' than solid metal/plastic.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Go airflow. You ain't buying it to have something sleek to look at.

10. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Death Eater

Go sleek, most modern cases have airflow good enough that more than 2 fans are just excessive, don't materially impact cooling, and make your PC louder.

That last part is the key! You're spending money to enjoy games, right? Well, enjoyment ain't just measured in the 1 FPS or so you'll get from added cooling, it's also measured in not having a jet engine next to you while you play, or perhaps in the knowledge of just looking at a case that's aesthetically pleasing.

Same thing goes with your desk and chair too! Get yourself a nice computer chair, you can pick up a good office chair for like $100 CAD off of Amazon (in black).

11. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Minimalistic/sleek. This is the case I have. It's nice and quiet and I've never had any airflow or temp issues. It was also really easy to work with when I got to actually building the PC.

12. BTT

BTT Death Eater

Background: my dad's brother (in other words, my uncle) is a divorced but wealthy man, with 3 kids and even a grandkid. His youngest, my cousin, is going to uni for her first year . She got her driving license a while back, and her dad got her some sort of small car to celebrate.

Recently, my uncle's been on vacation in Vietnam. I've never asked what he's doing there because I suspect it's what businessmen usually do in Vietnam. It turns out that just her own car wasn't enough for my cousin, and one day she went for a drive with her dad's fancy Mercedes. Apparently she tore through the streets of Brussels. To those not in the know, the general speed limit is 50 km/h, or 30 mph. She instead went 117 km/h, or 72 mph. I honestly don't know how. It's kind of impressive. Anyway, a speed camera caught her in the act. She's got an enormous fine, of course, and is about to lose her license.

So once he's confessed it to him, my uncle returns posthaste to deal with this fiasco. He can't scold her too much because he's afraid she'll just leave him and go stay at her mom's place instead. He can't put it on his record because he was in Vietnam. What's he do, then?

He asks his mom, of course. Called her up to explain the situation and asked her to put it on her name. Grandma is, of course, somewhere around 80 and generally not the person that would go 117 in a metropolis in her son's fancy car.

What makes it funny enough I figured it was worth posting here, though, is that Grandma's never had a driving licence.

As you might expect, she refuses. Family drama ensues, as you might expect, with the rest of the extended family laughing their asses off. In the meantime, my uncle was ballsy enough to just send the police a letter stating that he couldn't have sped, because obviously he was abroad. I doubt it'll work, but can't hurt to try, right?

tl;dr cousin speeds, her dad asks grandma if she wouldn't mind pretending it was her fault instead. Hilarious family drama ensues.

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    Drama might be hilarious, but for fuck sake, kids like these are ones we later read about getting a slap on the wrist for mowing down people on a pedestrian crossing because of affluenza. Taking away her license and her car and making her work to pay her own damn fine is the least that should happen. I've had speeding tickets, but not for going 117 km/h in the middle of a city.

14. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

If he does that she's off living with her mom and merely puts up a middle finger when dad visits. Probably not something he wants.

15. BTT

BTT Death Eater

Yeah, I agree she's a spoiled brat, don't get me wrong. I definitely wouldn't have laughed if she'd actually hit someone and I wish she'd get a fitting punishment for it. At the same time she and her dad are already on rocky ground so I kinda understand where he's coming from.

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    On one hand I totally get it. On the other, I totally don't care.

Actually hitting someone shouldn't be the line where laughter stops. It should be at driving 117 km/h in a city. Dad isn't doing her any favors by playing into her bs. edit: I'm not saying don't laugh, but c'mon, she's an idiot and her dad is a bigger one.

17. VanRopen

VanRopen Unspeakable

The fact that I understand why it’s a difficult decision for him doesn’t make what he’s doing any less stupid/dangerous, and any less of a disservice to her.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    I got all excited that HBO GO was finally coming to Poland, but it's fucking terrible. Plays choppy as hell, keeps stuttering, even though YT and Netflix play smooth. Tried restarting the puter, using a different browser, problem persists. Fix your shit HBO or you won't be getting any money from me after the free trial is over. It's unwatchable.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

It runs well here, so I'm guessing that's down to whatever hosting they're using in Europe/Poland.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Went to the EGX video game convention in London today, which was pretty cool and largely notable for two things: the excellent live DnD show by OutsideXbox/Xtra, and getting to play around with the character creation in Conan Exiles, which for some reason allows you to choose how large you want your dick to be, which is important, as you start the game completely naked and it can be seen jiggling when you jump.