1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

But haven't you read the book that showed you this argument for a less biased view in your US history class at school?

2. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

Clarification worth making, I meant history classes pre-college. I recognize they can't go into all the gory details in elementary school, but you'd think by the time high school comes around we could be trusted to handle more nuanced information.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Death Eater

Our aircraft is currently waiting in the holding zone as our gate has a plane in it. We were supposed to be off the plane ten minutes ago.

Our next flight is boarding in the next few minutes.

Fuck you Chicago and your shitty airport. I'm too tired to deal with missing our flight.

Edit: we just missed our connection. Turns out it's due to an aircraft needing maintenance. Oh Alaska, you better give me all the compensation.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Teyrn

Teyrn Groundskeeper

TomD: My pc's headphones decided to give up the ghost about 30 minutes ago, right in the middle of a YouTube video.

Given that they're 6~ years old, and were only about $45 I'm not entirely surprised, but I am a bit sad to see them die.

They were a good loyal set of headphones.

Guess I'm in the market for a new set of headphones for my pc.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Groundskeeper

TomD: My new pc arrived. Now if only my (old) monitor worked with it...

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Secondary, English and History. Discovered that there are some dumb kids out there, but also some great ones. Sudden onset of sympathy for my own teachers.

And then I had to take over a Grade 1/2/3 class for a P.E. lesson D: .

7. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of my colleagues (/rivals) who joined at the same time as me got sacked yesterday. Shit just got real. They call this job a "two year interview" and they mean it.

His personal possessions are still at his desk. They just took him aside for a "quick word" and he never came back.

8. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

TOMY: Started my first vacation in years, just settled in at our room in Rome. Looking forward to my next two weeks

9. TheWiseTomato

Have breakfast or lunch here. Best food memory I have of my times in Rome. It's on this small cobblestone square maybe a ten minute walk from the Pantheon and fifteen from the Vatican.

10. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

And pasta here. Only thing we didn't like much was the temperature of the red wine (a bit too warm). Also, it's the kind of place where you share your table with others, which may not be your thing. The food is worth it though. It's in the Trastevere area which is a pleasant 20min walk from the Pantheon.
    General tip: try to walk everywhere, especially if you are staying in the historic center. For me, this was the most enjoyable part of our vacation.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Busy week. Actually, busy month. Since my dad died, we've been working on cleaning and fixing up the house, since it's been pretty beat up, with the plan on moving back in. Lots of painting and stuff. Hardest part is that I installed laminate flooring in my room. Took awhile, and my body is pretty beat up after it, but it looks really nice. And then the movers came in (because there's really no way I was going to carry half a million magic cards myself). Still a lot to do, but now I'm back in a house rather than an apartment. It's just annoying, since it's the 4th time I've moved in 3 years

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Unspeakable

High Score:

I work as a tutor for incoming freshmen at my University. Not sure what Uni is like in Australia, but so many first years are woefully underprepared by their high school professors. I had one girl this semester who had never written a paper longer than 250 words in high school.

So if I have any encouragement on the...university end...make your students read and write.

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is that a performance thing, or more of a culture fit thing?

Bit harsh to get rid of him with no notice like that, what happened to performance improvement?

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

When you go to see The Coliseum and The Forum, take an early afternoon detour to the Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano. It isn't too far, and it's a Church on top of an ~400AD Basilica on top of a house/Mithraeum on top of an Ancient Roman street. The result is a pleasant 60 degrees fahrenheit interior while the surface temperature is in the 90s. It's archaeologically interesting, and a great way to kill the hottest hour of the day.

The Spanish Steps are best at night, and the best exchange rates are at the foreign currency exchange located in the arm of St. Peters Basilica in Vatican City. Also the irony of getting your money changed right there in the temple is an excellent and novel experience.

15. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Big law firms surely have a surfeit of talented would-be associates, such that this is simply part of the churn.

16. Seyllian

Seyllian Auror DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Based on the theme of this site, I'd assume that TWT already values reading and writing at least somewhat.

17. TheWiseTomato

Nah reading and riting is for fuking nerds.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Off to Barcelona for a few days. Any recommendations for eating?

19. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really depends. If you want fine dining, try Uma. If you want local, try Bodega Biarritz. If you want cheap, try Comida de Olla.

Its been a while, but I remember them being decent. Some of them have been covered in TV shows as well.

If you google the names, Trip Advisor has reviews if you want to check them out.

20. Tuiz

Tuiz Fifth Year

EspaiSucre - it is the only restaurant worldwide that offers menues consisting of dessert only.
    It is pricy but if you are a bit of a foodie I definitely recommend checking it out.