1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Death Eater

High Score:
    This is the Tribraggart Tournament. :p

I'll save my humility for the Order of Mundane and Meaningless Life (or whatever the mods decide to call it) whenever this thread gets too big.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    On my second full day of being laid up after surgery. Progressing rather well, though. I'm actually able to type with both hands, which is good (shoulder surgery). I'm also able to do pendulum swings and wall-crawls up to about shoulder level, so, all in all it's not bad. Although, I'm seriously forming a case of deja vu as I was literally in the same place with the same issue this time last year, only on the other shoulder.

If any of you are teenagers reading this. Listen to me. You WILL PAY later on for what you do to your bodies now, trust me.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It happens pretty much every time there's an election for anything when one person decides they should run the show.

Without a doubt, but I think he's mostly upset because the people he thought would support him are publicly supporting me.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

TOMD: Friend from lab calls me to tell me all my adherent cells are floating. They're not supposed to. I thawed them twelve hours ago. Most likely answer is that they're contaminated. That means decontamination protocol. My Sunday is going to be filled with nothing more than thankless cleaning. FML.

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Funny how that works.

6. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    TOMD: Beru helped talk me out of a semi recurring problem.
    EDIT: To clarify without going into too much detail, she talked me out of taking a solution that wouldn't have lead anywhere at all.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  7. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Minister of Magic

Well, it looks like for better or for worse I'll be moving to the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area for a new job at the beginning of June. That, and I'll have about a month of semi-downtime before the new job technically starts. So... any suggestions on things to check out and/or does anybody here even live in that area that potentially feels like showing me around a bit?

8. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Weekends have become IV days.

My mother, a nurse of 27 or so years, grabs me and makes me start IVs on her to practice.

Blew the vein the first time. Successful on the second attempt, but when I uncapped it at the wrong moment blood started leaking out of it. Her response was to reach over and just rip the IV out of her arm to "get a smaller hole" so we could handle the blood. Jesus, she's a badass.

Anyway, that was a bit ago. I'm currently.. 5/8 successful attempts. It feels like it's mostly a matter of constant practice to get used to the steps.

Though she also has good veins because I haul her to the gym every morning, so when I get onto the general population it's probably going to be a bit more difficult to find them.

My Mother's Day was hanging out with a new style of IV kit that we hadn't used before and we figured it out by practicing starting IVs on each other.

It was awesome.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    New person in the flat, a young mind, fresh university student. I am currently the senior of our little community, so myself and another flatmate pulled the young lady into a conversation to get to know each other. We talked for 2 hours and covered everything from current Polish politics to the nuances of public education (I'm a teacher and the lady is studying to be one). We disagreed on some issues, but we gave our arguments and tried to compromise. I wish our elected representatives could do that.

Afternoon well spent.

10. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

"What did you do for Mother's Day?"

"Oh, just stabbed h..."

"STABBED?!?"

"With needles, dolt. IV practice."

"Sure...." *edges away*

11. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Well, shit.

TOMD:

Finally heading home after just the absolute worst semester ever.

12. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

It's more that circa 35 your ability to recover has gone to shit and your body can't shake off the abuse it once could. OTOH you can build a great physical and mental foundation for the rest of your life if you concentrate all that insane teenage recovery (natural steroidal cocktail, man) into productivity. This also means like starting early on strengthening, and not overstressing, stuff like joints and joint mobility --- that shit has a slow recovery pace anyway you slice it. Child bodies are superbly balanced; adult bodies are imbalanced and overstressed in a huge variety of ways. Go by informed, intrinsically motivated goal-setting, not random stupidity.

I can sympathize with having had terrible semesters. Make good use of the break to let it go and reset, breathe and channel your energy into interesting endeavors. Make next semester a clean slate.

13. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Yeah I'm treasuring these two weeks before I go back to take classes and work. Rip.

14. Arthellion

Arthellion Death Eater

High Score:
    I start back tomorrow. Not taking any classes but starting my Honor’s Thesis and prepping for GRE/LSAT.

15. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    I was referring more to, say, crashing into people or things at full speed and not just footspeed without concern for your own body because of sports (throw in skateboarding, skiing, or whatever else there might be that can break things or cause serious impact injuries).

16. Solfege

Solfege Auror DLP Supporter

Absolutely. I was thinking of [not so injurious] hard partying until 3AM Wednesday morning, heading to Whataburger for a few shakes, and getting up at 6AM for hangover varsity football practice. Guys who can power through that at 20 sure as hell won't at 40 or even necessarily 30.

17. Marsupial

Marsupial Death Eater DLP Supporter

Also lifting heavy things in stupid ways - you can do that for a while, until you can't. And then you get to spend some time in physical therapy so your back only hurts a little bit for the rest of your life instead of constantly. Good times...

18. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Goddamn all of you just make me feel like a potato.

19. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    I think I have come across DLP's theme song. NSFW (Really, it should go without saying, but...)

I came across it while listening to their other songs. Pirate Metal. Who knew such a genre existed?

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Tis a thing of beauty. Great find, mate.