1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

TOMD 4: The Tribraggart Tournament

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Peace, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So close you don't see them for weeks and someone hijacks their twitter account?

Oh wait, that's Melania. #IsSheDead #DidHeKillHer #WillWeEverTrulyKnow

(Nothing's better than a good rumor. :sherlock: )

2. Miner

Miner High Inquisitor

Something something adulthood sucks something something.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yasuo player?

3. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    TOMD: It's a bit random and odd, I know, but anyway, @Zombie at least might appreciate this.

So I was at The Strand earlier today (which, if you have never visited, is the best bookstore in New York City imho), and was drawn to the cookery section. In amidst the vapid collections of celebrity chef crap (why is there a whole section of MasterChef?), I found, to my surprise and delight, a 30-year-old copy of The Complete Cookery Course by Delia Smith. The original version, from back in the '80s. My grandmother (who is English) has been swearing by this book for as far back as I can remember.

Best $7.50 I've spent in a long while.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I visited when I was in NY. Being amongst all those shelves of books was one of the highlights of the trip, and hardest on my self restraint.

5. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Finally sat down and started working through some of my passion project ideas. A nice change now that I have stable income again and no school to worry about. Been hashing out the details on a board/card game on my days off.

6. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

TOMD: Got tickets to Hamilton finally! Super excited to see if all the hype is justified.

7. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

Nice! You gotta show us if you get it done. What sort of gameplay are you going for?

8. Legacy

Legacy Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Since I've never done this beforehand I set myself a rule to keep things simple, my only parts in the game were going to be cards. I figure adding tokens or a board is too much for me right now since I'm still learning about different mechanics. I was right since cards alone is giving me more than enough to work through.

What I'm working with so far is a theme of corporate warfare with each player being some kind of megacorporation, been jokingly referring to it as my 0.1% simulator. The winner will be either the last player with any cards in their hand, or the player with the most "wealth" when the deck of cards runs out.

Cards will come with both a cash value on them denoting their worth and an active effect. One of the first things I wanted to encourage was decision making with which cards to hold onto and when to use their abilities. Card value will scale with the impact of the ability so while that card could be the one that will make you win the game if you make it to the end, it could also have something really good like the ability to take a card from every other player.

Card draw I'm still figuring out, I had an earlier concept for one of natural draw each round but that caused me more than a few headaches and redraws of plans. So far I'm working with the idea of no natural card draw, all card draw will come from the playing of cards. I figure that gives me plenty of room for low value play 1 card and draw 2 cards scenarios but it can also let me play around with ideas like doing a card search and discard off the top of the deck.

I also want to have interactions between the players obviously, can't have everyone just passively acting. I'm looking at these essentially as sabotage cards, either they are telling players to discard cards from their hands, transfer cards to other players, or blocking another players draw card on the next turn. I want there to be a competition between the players to see who makes the most money and I want it to get personal.

For winning and losing I'm still working out all the details. Obviously if you are the last player standing you win. How do you become the last player standing? By making sure you still have cards to work with. I wanted to give players the option to be vicious and be able to target players that put themselves in weak positions by playing a lot of cards. Say someone has just played a bunch of sabotage cards and hurt the lead player to bring him back in line, instead of just moving on from that I want other players to be able to look at them and count how many cards he has and see if they can take them out of the game with their own removals. It also works nicely within the concept since yay cutthroat business world but also keeping a stable supply of options is the way to win.

The other way to win is by being the richest player. Way I see it so far, the moment the last card is drawn all the wealth in the world is either spent or divided up between the players, there is nothing more to gain. The players will then show their hands and count the value of their remaining cards, winner is the one who has the highest value hand at the end.

I know I've still got a bunch of kinks to work out in the overall rules and concepts before I'm done, but this is what I've got so far. I like the theme because I know I could have some fun with it content wise and I can go either pretty dark with it or go funny. Won't deny the last few days I've had a card ideas in my head for the trade war, "There's a Trade war now, don't ask questions why just roll with it"- White house press secretary.

Hilariously that gave me an idea if I wanted to up the complexity of the game by adding a round modifier. Having a separate deck of cards that gets flipped over every round that stays in effect until all players play in it. Could be a way to impact the value of certain cards up or down if the game ends in that round, or it could be a way to do some mechanical changes for the round. Need to think on that one.

Also, off topic but I miss build in blue.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  9. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

TOMD: finally beat Dark Souls. <.<

10. Nazgus

Nazgus Headmaster

TOMD: Went to the gym for the first time since February. Made a promise to myself last week that I'd go MWF no questions asked and didn't get around to it until 8pm, but I forced myself to get my ass out of my chair and go.

Feels good.

11. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Now play it again with a fishing rod.

12. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For reference.

Also, just watched a dude play Doom with a Toaster.

TOMD: Posted a new bit of story yesterday and @Swimdraconian thumbed it. It must mean I'm doing something right, right?

13. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

So my dad's computer crashed on Thursday, yesterday he got an update from the place he took it to diagnose it. Motherboard died.

Since he's somewhat low on funds I'm now debating upgrading my computer so I can give him the stuff I'm currently using.

14. Nevermind

Nevermind Sixth Year

High Score:
    TOMD: Received some very positive feedback from peers and my professor on the progress of my master‘s thesis.

Now I actually have to write the darn thing. Busy month ahead…

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    8/10 of my work's supervisor/team leader roles just got laid off. Well, they called it a settlement so they got out of giving redundancy to everyone (and also being prevented from hiring for six months), but it's leaving the rest of us with zero support from middle management and no solid line of progression in the company.

I literally talked to my manager this morning about becoming a supervisor and now both he and that role are gone. This is not a particularly good time at the company right now. Plenty of chances to take over supervisor jobs without extra pay though. Yay.

16. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Time to leave.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Yup. I'm starting the job hunt tomorrow. Got my former manager's details for a reference. For now I'm enjoying a pint of Hobgoblin.

18. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    TOMMonth: I'm (semi-officially) a DLP Bronze Supporter(though you couldn't tell as such from the color coding, ay caramba). Yay for two pink bars under my name? Now if I can just keep this little contribution going on a regular basis that'd be just dandy.

19. Teyrn

Teyrn Professor

Spent money on a mobile game for the first time ever. It was only 5$, but after I spent it I felt dirty. (RMT stuff is so OP)

This was also the last time I'll do such a thing, since I rather regret it.

20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They've got their hooks into you man. You're gonna have to pick up another job soon to support the habit.

Also, @Zenzao if you add this to stylish:

Code:
    .userBanner.bannerSecondary {
     color: black;
     background-color:#cd7f32;
     border-color: #cd7f32;
    }
    it fixes your banner problem. Its actually bronze, according to my colorblind color picking tool I use. Looks like this now :

upload_2018-6-7_10-57-13.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018