1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Tomorrowland by winterfool - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Blandge, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Blandge

Blandge Second Year DLP Supporter

Title: Tomorrowland
    Author: winterfool
    Rating: T - Teen and Up Audiences
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Luna
    Summary: In the aftermath of the war, Harry still has plenty of demons left to fight. Post-DH, not compliant with the epilogue.
    Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1075603/chapters/2160140

A fluffy romance fic that begins three months after the final battle. Harry is struggling with moving on after the war. He suffers from PTSD and is troubled by constant media attention. Hermione suggests that the media is so enamored by him because he is so reclusive, so the only articles they can write about him are pure speculation. On Hermione's advice, Harry allows Luna to interview him for the Qubbler like he did in fifth year.

Harry enjoys Luna's company during the interview and they promise to get together shortly thereafter for dinner. This sparks an ongoing relationship where Harry starts to spend time with Luna. The visits are fairly sporadic at first, but they become a regularity when Hermione asks Harry and Ron to visit her during each Hogsmeade weekend (Hermione, Ginny and Luna go back to Hogwarts for their final year, while Harry, Ron and Neville begin Auror training).

Harry and Luna's relationship moves slow. Painfully slow in fact, but that's part of the charm. It's this slow, relaxed pacing that makes the romance between them truly believable, unlike most other H/L on the market. Harry really doesn't have a positive opinion of Luna in canon given that he "pities" her, to use JKR's words. I find it far fetched that a romance would just spring up between them, and this fic explores that exact idea.

In it's current state, Harry and Luna are not yet together, but they are well on their way. I'm not sure the update rate is reasonable as there are only 9 chapter since December, 2013, but the latest update was on July 15th, so that gives me hope that there are still more update to come.

It's only been a day since , so I don't want to make a bold statement in haste, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is positively one of my favorite Harry/Luna fics of all time. As somebody who's favorite pairing is H/L, I can't give this fic anything but a 5/5.

2. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

That was... Good. Solid.

I wasn't blown away by it at all, but the characters felt in character at all points, the tone felt like JKR's and it was sweet without being overly fluffy.

3. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Pretty good story overall. The characters are pretty much spot on (though Harry feels a bit too open about his feelings at some points). The pacing was solid, and Harry and Luna's developing relationship doesn't feel particularly forced, which is quite an accomplishment for a Harry/Luna fic. A tentative 4/5 from me.

One personal annoyance I had with, however, was the interview in the first chapter. Specifically, Harry mentioning Horcruxes. Why... how stupid does someone have to... You basically just gave the next Dark Lord the key word to search for in the "Ways to Achieve Immortality" Almanac. It's like telling people an easy way to build a doomsday device out of random household appliances. You shouldn't do it! It's common sense! You just know someone is going to use that information to do something bad!

Admittedly, Luna could have left it out of the article, but it's implied that she didn't.

4. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

Nothing much happened yet but Harry/Luna is one of my favorites so I'm holding out for some good stuff in the future. Honestly I think it's too early to rate if the author has actual plot/conflict planned. If it's going to continue as is this is a solid 3/5 though.

Kinda OT: never encountered this website, it any good?

5. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Better than ff.net in some ways - worse in others. Has a more versatile tag selection, so it makes it easier to find some niche content, however this has also led to people shoving a fuckton of tags onto their story for entirely unnecessary reasons. Also, there are less content regulations than ff.net, so there's a lot more smut and slash.

Has a lot of cool features, though - like downloading stories into different formats such as mobi and epub (which, as a kindle user, is extremely useful).

6. Catman

Catman DA Member

Don't think it's as easy as cutting off some of your Soul and stapling it to a rock. I've browsed the wikipedia page on rockets and missiles and I'm no closer to being able to make them.

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yeah, but considering that most people don't know it's even possible, letting them know is pretty retarded.

And considering Voldemort made one at 15, I seriously doubt it's as complicated as creating a ballistic missile by hand, even if he was exceptionally smart for his age.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This story pisses me off. Not because it's bad per se, but that there is absolutely nothing to make you want to continue reading it. Luna and Harry are characterized rather well, but it lacks everything you'd expect from a romance story and it's so drawn out that it makes me cringe. 3/4 of each chapter is remarkably boring, and then there's a small bit of fluff towards the end. Some stories are a slow burn, but I'm crying out for something to happen, and (spoiler warning) NOTHING EVER DOES.

The writing is great if you don't mind being bored out of your skull. If you're looking for something actually resembling a romance between Harry and Luna -- you're not getting it here. It is purely a friendship fic, with only the slightest vestiges of Harry leaving Ginny behind and starting to hang out with Luna more.

3/5 technically, but I'm taking a point away for the sheer annoyance of reading 9 chapters and finding more friendship than romance.

9. Blandge

I agree that it's a bit annoying, but the fact that it takes 9 chapters for Harry to start seeing Luna in a romantic light is what makes it so believable. Luna's characterization is very well done and the romance between Harry and Luna is languid and inevitable. There just aren't many (any?) fics that do these two things better than Tomorrowland. That's why I gave it such a high rating.

That being said, it is boring as sin. There isn't much conflict.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  10. Blandge

Tomorrowland has updated. It's obvious the author is just picking up the story after a year, so it's a bit rough, I liked the new chapter. It's nice to see the fic is finally making some progress on the pairing. I'm pretty sad the story didn't make it into a Library, but I still think it's the best Harry/Luna fic out there. Glad winterfool is still working at it.