1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Total War: Warhammer

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Myrrdin Emrys, May 15, 2016.

1. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    So I just watched some pre-release trailers of the game, and I fucking love it.

For those that don't know, (unlikely, yet possible) TW is a game series that revolves around strategical conquest of places (factions) and this, Warhammer, is the first to include magical units and all, breaking the historical chain of games they've had before this one.

Games depict massive battles with thousands of soldiers on each side, whole fleets and armies fighting for their faction. I'll link you a video so that you guys can check out how huge the battles are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYlmb3gip8

2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It looks impressive and CA is giving in more and more ground, I expect that the pre-Order sales weren't as good as expected. Which is great for us. Mods will be supported, Chaos Warriors will be free for a week, and they are planning to give some free DLCs. GW must be desperate too accept all this too.

The games looks gorgeous, the factions shown are extremely diverse and interesting. Lots of completely new things too. I can only dream of a LotR Mod for it. Maaaan. But after the disaster that was Rome 2 I'm waiting for Joe's review (the only guy who actually told the truth about the game).

3. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Invictus. I know right. LotR in Total War, fuck yeah! And, compared to other reviews, even though Rome 2 was a shit game compared to Rome 1, I found it enjoyable. What were the main points that you thought the game didn't fulfill?

4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The administration part, it felt extremely empty and generic compared to the awesome family trees in Shogun 2, hell, even the cabinets from Empire were more interesting. I had no attachment to the ruling family or generals at all, the cards they used were also pretty ugly, they betted on stylized cards for the unis, which was good, but forgot people also wanted to see the units.

Attila gave big steps in solving that.

All in All Rome Grand Map was a big step back from the Shogun 2's amazing one. It was too much Civ like, and if I wanted Civ I would play Civ. I'm rambling a bit, but Rome was lacking personality, historical things (like the temples and what not from Shogun, you have a set period, use it to your advantage!) and the economy part was shallow and lacking any logic.

It was also a buggy mess.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  5. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Invictus.

I get where you're coming from. If I didn't know any better, I'd assume that you were reading my mind when you wrote this. And those damn bugs continued until the latest patches of the game. Still remember three of my main units dying because of no fucking reason on the eve of my conquest of Rome.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Wait, what?

I'm fairly certain that CA has said that they won't be supporting mods officially due to GW's stance on the matter.

7. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    They might just, seeing as the pre-Order sales aren't going that well. Who knows, you may be right, I may be right, this post is probably worth nothing, but the best thing that we get is that they might just give the Chaos Warriors for free! :D

8. Troy

Troy Seventh Year

Last week they announced they were supporting it. There will be two released on day one, or close to it. The ability to conquer every province, and splitting up legendary lords if you want to do a co-op camp with the same race, so you each get one.

Looking forward to this for years. They are also doing three games so you will have the whole of the old world.

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Total War: Warhammer will have official mod support
    They changed their stance this month. Only reason to make fucking G'ive your soul' W to do that is money.

I.E. they showed GW a graph with their sales and the even lower graphic with GW's profits.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Huh. Glad to be proven wrong on that account.

11. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    GoT and LotR mods, here I come!

12. Mestre

Mestre Professor

No steam support = /= no mods

Empire din't have steam support and it had mods.
    People would still do mods to warhammer the only difference is the place of download and method.

If the engine is the same has Atilla and Rome dont expect big mods. You can create your own units but you can't create a new campaign map.

I am not realy interested in warhammer 1/5 of the game is dlc launch and with ca past games ai will be messier with the special units.

I will buy it but 3 years later with bug fixes and 200 worth of dlc cheaper.It is to expensive for me otherwise.

13. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Mestre. Took me awhile to see what you were talking about, my apologies if I seem rude, but try to properly punctuate and capitalize, yeah?

Anyways, I've derailed from the real topic at-hand here, with GW agreeing to Mod Support, there's bound to be a better game engine that includes the ability to create whole new maps, and with the pre-Order sales graph seeming dimmer and dimmer to the producers, they've announced (I'll refer to you Invictus' post a while back) that there are mods already developed that are going to be released on Day One of the game's launch.

On the subject of Pre-Order sales, because of it's not-so-bright present, they are going to either;

1). Release DLC's with the game's original launch,

OR

2). Have sales on the DLC Content to have more people interested.

Because of this, I'd advise you to keep on the lookout for the game, and not wait for three years, (I can't tell if that's exaggeration or not since I did that with Rome II)

The bugs that are present in the game though, that's another can of worms altogether, but we can only hope for the best.

14. Mestre

Mestre Professor

I wouldn´t expect much from Creative Assembly with their track record if I were you, even with mod Tools it will be impossible to do mods at level of Medieval 2 or Rome with the warscape´s engine. It is a engine issue so you shouldn´t get your hopes up with the mods tools.

I am not in the hype train to be honest. Crusader kings 2 warhammer mod is a incredible game and this year you are also getting a new patch for Medieval total war 2 warhammer mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1377-Call-of-Warhammer

edit: warscape´s engine

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  15. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Eh. We all have our differences. Let's agree to disagree.

16. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Fair enough. But you should check total war center to know the issues of modding warscape engine and why total conversion to lotr for example is not possible.

17. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Mestre. This was what I was talking about when I mentioned LotR.

18. Mestre

Mestre Professor

19. Myrrdin Emrys

High Score:
    Mestre. Dude, look, I know when it's pointless to argue with someone who won't listen. And to your one-word question, the answer is yes. At-least somewhat.

20. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic