1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Traveler by The Straight Elf - T - Pokemon

Discussion in 'Games' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

Just a reminder of the update.

Felt more like a filler chapter. Stark contrast from the epicness that had been brewing in last few updates (Not that this update doesn't have a share of it). But I also like the fact that the author will focus more on conference and normal routine now, which personally I enjoy more.

And also the transition between the clash and the current routine doesn't feel good enough. Too abrupt and dry. The consequences or repercussions of the epic clash, it felt, were lacking, imo.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I dug the fact that Lugia was able to stop Mewtwo's storm. Guardian of the seas indeed. Lugia vs Mewtwo would certainly be entertaining.

3. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Yeah I really liked the update. The Rhydon was awesome, and the hint that any Pokemon, if it battles enough and lives long enough, becomes closer and closer to a Legendary in terms of strength and skill with its element, was quite cool.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

Yep. I loved that entire rhydon sequence. This story just has so many concepts I've yet to see in the fanon, like the ancient rhydon embedding *multiple* everstones into its body so it doesn't become a rhyperior. I'm also glad that Ash remembered his experiences on New Island. I wasn't sure he was going to.

5. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Yeah the ideas I like from this story are:
    1. Older Pokemon get more powerful if they're of a type that generally doesn't get 'old age.' Makes sense, and lets you have epic wild Pokemon wandering around. I like that the line between Legendary and really old and ancient experienced Pokemon, like the Clefable at Mt. Moon and the Rhydon, blurs over time. It introduces a possible mechanism for the origin of Legendaries.
    2. Strong Legendaries. I love the really strong Legendaries, like in here and in Sun Soul, but I personally feel like they're too strong in this fic. Nothing the protagonist does can affect them in any significant way, so they seem like walking plot devices, imo.
    3. The sheer strength of Pokemon in general.

Ideas I personally don't like:
    1. Evolution being sudden. I prefer a gradual change like in The Sun Soul or Game of Champions.
    2. Fighting Pokemon having 'aura.' Just a personal pet peeve.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

A very long chapter, but the sequence with the Rhydon was better than the sequence with Mewtwo in my opinion because against Mewtwo it was so freaking powerful that Ash couldn't do anything, whereas against Rhydon it felt like a real battle.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

I agree that the phrase "aura" has been poisoned in the fanon thanks to lucario and Sir Aaron, but at the same time, there has to be something that differentiates normal and fighting-type pokemon, and I guess that's as good as any.

8. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Solid story, but that opening just makes me rage-cringe. On one hand getting a pokemon is getting a pokemon and Nidoking is a beast, but still going along with those little shits who refused to man up and wait like he did? Would have pulled a Gary-mutherfucking-Oak and let those fuckers behind with a, "Smell ya later!"

Edit: Finished the first chapter...it was pretty boring, to say the least. When does it start to pick up? I've heard people here say after he ditches the scrubs, but exactly when is that - like what chapter? At the moment this story seems OK, but bland and sorta drags on.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

That would be after Chapter 3.

10. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's like that at first. The first few chapters were bland and 3/5 at best, now it's been going at 5/5 for a while. I'd say chapter 4 is when it starts to get good, and 7-8 when it actually is good. Ditching the other people and St. Anne starts the turning point, which is chapter 3.

11. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Had some free time to pick this up again.

Starting to get really good. Only "problem" I have with the story is Ash's near invincibility. I know OP mentioned a somewhat darker world and Sun Soul so my head automatically put it in the same category as that and Regret, but I guess I was wrong on that front. I dunno, everything seems to go fine for Ash and it's getting sorta repetitive: fight pokemon, catch pokemon, fight pokemon again to assure dominance, tell pokemon you're gonna make it stronger, pokemon becomes friends. Only area where this hasn't come true yet (for me, as I haven't read it all yet) is with golduck.

Also, his version of evolution sorta confuses me. I don't mind the blinding flash mostly, but I do prefer the gradual changing more. OP however went with what seems like a gradual evolving approach finished with a blinding flash for effect. Weird. Not so bothered by it seeing a nidoran become a nidorino but trying to explain a charmeleon suddenly grow wings might be a little odd.

That said I won't stop reading because of this issue I have and it's probably the only story out there worth reading at the moment. I'd give it a 4/5.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

It updated with a mostly filler chapter. We finally got to see Jonathan and Amelia again, though. It's odd how aloof Ash is with them while he makes friends so easily with others.

I love how the author apologizes for having such a short chapter when his "short" would be very long for most fanfic authors. XD

13. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Aren't all the friends he's made since leaving at least in there mid-to-late teens, if not adults? He could just relate better to older people (and pokemon) than kids his own age. Or maybe it's because they're from the same town so he takes them for granted since he's known them for years.

I enjoyed it, anyway. Mainly out of anticipation since I'm looking forward to this tournament. And there's finally some thought to what Ash might do after this is over and done with.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Aren't his fellow competitors around his age? I never got the feeling that he was that much younger than the people he met. Them being from the same town as him is what makes it so strange that he doesn't know how to act around them. That being said, it's also really strange that he never attempted to contact them after they got separated. Most probably it's because the author realized that they weren't helping move the story along so go rid of them, but I feel like it was done in a way which made Ash look like a douche.

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jonathan and Amelia are both Ash's age (10-11). I for one am pretty happy with how he treated them - he was an obvious third wheel, and his Zubat comment was pretty cool.

Yeah, fillers. Only makes me want the actual start of the Conference more.

16. Jazerus

Jazerus First Year

Ash is, by this point, kind of desocialized from normal human contact. He can deal with other people, like Lance, who have seen the kind of shit he has seen, and with new people because there are fewer expectations; but Jonathan and Amelia knew Ash before he was recognized as a ridiculous prodigy, and so he has no idea how to reconcile their expectations of him versus the aloof, traumatized pseudo-adult who relates better to Pokemon than to people that he has become.

17. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Update.
    The conference is finally underway and we get a to know that yes, while there are rookies most of his competitors are older than him.

18. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Why is the author apologizing for his brevity after a 15k word chapter?

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

He is crazy. But given that his normal chapter is usually 40K+ words, 15k is kinda short for him.

Great chapter and great fight scenes. I'm really hoping Ash fights Gary soon.

20. MonkeyEpoxy

Well, those two ass kicking fiestas were kinda fun to read, if a bit expected. If TSE's goal was to hype me for the latter parts of the tournament, I'd say he's succeeded. Also, fuuuuuuck yeah, Machoke. Kicking ass and taking some fuckin names. Also, kinda some boringish charactarization shit considering how irrelevant Jonathan and Amelia have been, but I'm ready to see how intimidated by Ash they are after these two shit kickings.

Also, even with the Indigo league not being over yet, I'm mega-hype for Hoenn. Trumpets. Trumpets everywhere. With hopefully a healthy dosage of my favorite lunatics Archie and Maxie, as well as the legendaries. Super intrigued in the direction he takes the Regis, as well as the weather trio. I expect badass ridiculousness.

Lastly, I can't wait to see what kind of brutal psychopath Sneasel turns into when it evolves. It will be beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014