1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

'Turn Coat' sample chapters!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sophie, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Before I click to see those spoilers: they are spoilers for the sample chapters, right? Not for the rest of the book?

Also, I think I'm going to say a bit of an "I told you so" with regards to how the "thing" was nowhere near as badass as you guys thought it was. Not a Dragon, not a god, not Lucifer, not an Outsider. Just a regular thing that goes bump in the night.

2. mjc

mjc Seventh Year

I guess you can say that...but I'd say not quite so 'regular'...more like super-deluxe thing that goes BUMP in the night?

I've been re-reading all the previous books in preparation for this one...this book looks to be well worth the wait.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

chapters Taure not the whole book.

And in our defense this is Dresden who knows what the fuck it could have been.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could still be an Outsider because Dresden is one of the few who can wield magic that actually affects it, but I doubt it at this stage. If Dresden knows about it then it probably isn't that bad.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I never really saw the TV series. The only reason I'm eh, is because of the lack of interest you guys are displaying.

7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

In the TV series the Skinwalker was a cutie (ish) middle school teacher, who kicked Dresden's ass, and was eventually taken out by a "Doom Box" - yeah, you read that right.

I have to say, I am let down as well. Most likely Butcher will make a Skinwalker something way more badass than what we have seen in other works of fiction - still I did have my hopes up.

The one thing I do like is that it looks, so far, to be an animal to animal changer. Which is kinda cool, compared to basically a creature taking human skins.

On the upside, Kirby is dead - which means the hot redhead werewolf with the jiggly jublies and penchant for no underwear is on the market.

Molly/Andi/Staff (I'm happy with a large stick being a metaphor for myself in that pairing)

8. Midknight

Who wants to bet money he gets suckered and the skinwalker suddenly can turn human and it'll be in the book as a big revelation? Tera was a wolf who turned human, nearly two dozen werewolves of one sort or another, Corpsetaker was a wizard who jumped from body to body, making another enemy that can shapeshift really isn't that interesting. It's boring.

And after the build up... I really was utterly pissed. It's like a girl gets talked up to being a 10 by your friends, you go to a blind date, and she's honestly average looking, average figure. Not bad, not good. But you were told she was a fucking supermodel. Same deal.

Harry's Sighted the fucking Faerie Queens. He should of been reduced to goo from them but he was alright. He Sighted Kincaid, He's Sighted way worse things then this skinwalker, but it was a cheap ploy to build suspense.

Oh yeah, why didn't he just make a big fucking hand and grab the thing?

I'm mad because it seems like lazy writing. the guy is a god for being able to crank out the quality he's doing, so I know I should cut him slack, I couldn't do it 1/10 as well... but shit I expected better.

And as for the thing being a Native American nightmare... again lazy writing. Yes we get it, you're hinting Injun Joe is the traitor.

I honestly hope he doesn't make it so blatantly obvious to make Merlin or Ebenezeer the traitor. Butcher seems like he's able to write beyond the normal cliched to hell bullshit about your mentor being the badguy. He came close with making Eben the Blackstaff.

I just expect better from this guy. I'm not the type to fanboy for someone at all, but he's amazed me with the past books, especially Summer Knight and beyond, to see him seemingly half ass something is disappointing

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah I think you've just been jaded Midknight. Your opinion as far as content goes doesn't count for much anymore. The TVshow made light of everything. The only reason Dresden survived it was because Justin-clone wanted him alive so he could ressurect the original.

What is your opinion on Dragons? considering they were a big fucking joke as well.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Native American Nightmare bores me not because of the TV series (I haven't seen the TV series) but a) we've already seen lots of Nightmare-related stuff in previous books b) it sounds like a regular, albeit fairly powerful, spook c) compared to wizards, Black Councils and faerie Queens, Native American mythology frankly bores me.

I'm guessing the reason why it was so ugly in the sight is because nightmares are able to scare you well beyond the amount they should.

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I also admit to being disappointed. Skinwalker's are okay (and since I never saw the TV show, I have no opinion on that), but not impressive.

Eb has done, in the past, a number of things on par with Nuclear Bombs. The Faerie Queens are a lot stronger then Eb. The Black Council guys probably are, too.

This skinwalker is strong enough to nearly kill Harry (same as every other guy he's fought), skilled enough to hide from him (same as any other guy he's fought), and much, much stronger then him from a Physical standpoint (once again, same as any other guy he's fought).

As such, this guy get's a solid 'meh', from me.

12. Midknight

oh fuck you too Jon =P.

Dragons in the show weren't bad at all? Mai was one, the Murphy clone/dragon knock off in that episode was well done.

Stop being a fanboy =P Besides, I like the guy that much to be annoyed about it, you don't get pissed if you don't care about a quality story.

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Remind me again what a skinwalker is. I forgot a lot of the stuff that happened in the previous books.

14. Midknight

It's new to the books. In the TV series, it could kill the person in question and become them, I forget the exact mechanic of it, but I think it skinned them, been so long I don't remember.

This one, seems to just shift shape from animal to animal.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

16. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Lets just for one second assume that the TV show has nothing to do with this one and sum up what we know about this new 'guest':
    -It is super strong and fast
    -Can change forms (so far only animal forms that have a strong connection to Native American legends and beliefs)
    -Looks awful under the Sight
    -Can Veil itself
    -Harry's name for the creature (he doesn't always use widely accepted terms and may just describe his idea of this thing)

What we don't know:
    -Can it look human and like some chosen human, too?
    -Is it more direct fight or mind destroying like?
    -Does it work alone?
    -Does it has to be summoned like a demon or an outsider and can it be controlled by whoever summoned it?

Still too much speculation and we have to face the truth:
    Our expectation for the Dresden Files have reached nearly unreasonable hights. We can't have always mindblowing action scenes and other awesome stuff, it has to be built up and so far, I like it.
    The dialouge with Butters was great.

I doubt Harry just went all wheepy because of some stupid and useless bogart-like thing without a good reason.

I'm just happy I've waited until now to read all chapters that are currently out at once...wish it had been more.

Edit:
    Just read the wiki entry...damn they were fast to add the Dresden Files novel Turn Coat to the list.
    *shrug*
    I wait for Harry's (butcher's) explanaition on what this thing can do

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009