1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Turncoat - Discussion Thread [Epic Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Imagine if he had Kemeler's book now. And someone wanted it from him. Imagine taking Dresden on with the battlefield a place where nothing is hidden from Dresdenm where he knows everything about the battlefield

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It does, if he uses too much, he dies/loses his soul. As for how he cowed Demonreach, hell he used Soulfire, and he's up there in raw strength and will, throw in his whatever it is ability over Outsiders, and there ya go.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Summary: Harry Dresden is infinitely cooler than Harry Potter and could kick his ass from Chicago to Britain and back. :awesome

But yeah, good point Mid. Using Soulfire is like actually turning a small part of his soul into power and combining it with his magic, so using it too much wouldn't work out very well. Nice reminder. I had also forgotten he used it when fighting Demonreach -- another excellent point.

I'm looking forward to the 6th and final book of Codex Alera, but in some ways I'm more excited to see if that means he'll put out 2 Dresden books a year after he's done there.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Come to think of it, he actually points on how it'd be impossible for him to do it without Soulfire, and it's the only thing that makes it kinda possible.

And yeah, needs moar Dresden, I can't get into Alera at all

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I read one book of Alera, but never really followed on.

I cannot wait for the next Dresden book, but its gonna be a while. :(

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Yeah First Lord's Fury should be excellent, but I'm pretty sure Butcher has said that he has plans for another series to write alternating with Dresden so he does not get bored with Dresden and quality does not decrease.

7. Ched

@Xantam -- Yeah, that makes sense. I read somewhere on his official forums his "list" of ideas for more book series. Most of them looked promising, and if I recall correctly one of them was a science fiction sort of thing.

As for not being able to get into Alera, well, I can see that. I mostly read the first two while I was travelling and it was that or nothing, and I really do think that they are better than 98% of fanfiction and more interesting than perhaps, say, 85% of real fiction.

I didn't feel like I "got into them" til about partway through the second book, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 4th and 5th books, so who knows. I still recommend them to people but I always sort of wondered if maybe his quality at the start of Alera suffered a bit because this was his "dream story" to write or whatever. *shrug*

8. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The first 2 of the Alera books arent anything special. Its complicated. However if you get through to Cursor's Fury it really gets better. Captains Fury is still my favorite Butcher novel ever. The 5th book while not as good as Captains Fury is still better the Cursors Fury and much better than the first 2.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yeah, Alera's tough to get into. Thankfully most of us on here that have read them had a great support group in IRC :p that wouldn't let us stop in the first couple. Seriously, after the first two books, Alera is one of the best series I've ever read. In some aspects it's actually better than Dresden, and it's miles better than HP. Slog through the first couple books and wait for the world to get set up. Trust me, it's well, well worth it.

10. Ched

*shakes head* Had a comment or two here (6th book Ragon? Out yet? Typo?) and some other things, but then... I realized this is the thread for discussion on not just the Dresden Files, but Turncoat in particular, so wow, getting off topic.

Speaking of Turncoat though, I just re-read it this week, along with a few of the earlier ones. Seriously good stuff. And yeah, Mid, he specifically said he used Soulfire, so that's how he managed Demonreach. Nice catch.

11. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

Ebenezer

Havent read put two pages...but i seriously doubt any of the senior council is black council....but its possible

The reason is that they were all being used by peabody...so then what? One member of the black council was using another? Would only make since if they planned on getting caught.

That doenst make any since.

and then its never sais Eb uses dark magic....he is just allowed to work outside the laws - per-say kill without a trial

he COULD use dark magic but i doubt it - because i doubt the council gives that position to someone that would use dark magic continuously and change over...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  12. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

First problem: Your spelling and grammar are atrocious.
    Second problem: You're discussing spoilers in a thread that is two years old... Considering a newer book has already been released, it's a pretty irrelevant thread.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First off, improve your grammar. There are tons of primary school errors in your post that makes it a chore to read.

Secondly, I too doubt that any of the Senior Council are Black Hats, especially with Peabody's reveal. The entire reason the Senior Council was suspected to have a traitor was because of Peabody's actions. I can see the Merlin covertly approving the Grey Council's existence though.

Third, the Blackstaff protects the user from the corruptive effects of black magic. That means Ebenezar can break any one of the Laws and not feel the effects of it. Be that killing a person or enthralling them to his will. Of course the entire point of giving him the Blackstaff is that he's supposed to have the strength of character to withstand the temptation and not use it to form his own personal army.

14. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, Cristos might or might not be Black Council, but then that's an issue that post-dates Peabody's actions. Since Peabody accounts for all the leaks from the Senior Council, odds are he was the only BC agent there at the time he was active.

However, on the matter of "Peabody wouldn't manipulate/mind whammy another BC member," it seems likely to me that the Black Council runs on a cell organization instead of spreading its member list around. It's standard procedure for any sort of underground/infiltration group to make sure that one of their agents can't ruin the entire operation if he gets captured and interrogated (especially since the Blackstaff has ways to make him talk). Plus, it would be rather conspicuous if Peabody manipulated everyone except one or two highly-placed agents. Also, having mind control influence over other BC members would no doubt be useful in whatever BC internal politics are going on behind the scenes (Obviously we don't know what kind of internal politics the BC has, but it is a safe bet that there is some level of maneuvering for power/influence).

Oh, and I'll add to the obligatory 'don't necropost, and learn better spelling/grammar' dogpile (though being non-native speaker of English might earn a slight reprieve). The forum has a spellchecker for a reason.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

OK, this contributes absolutely nothing to the thread, but I gotta say it. Changar, your new avatar is creeping me the fuck out. I feel like she wants to eat my soul after coating it in applesauce. Somebody make it stop.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Finally someone understands how I feel! :foreveralone

Seriously, though. Stop trying to eat my soul, Chengar Qordath.

17. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    But souls are so crunchy and delicious...

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You realize, being ginger, I dont actually have one, right? D:

19. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    If you don't have a soul, then why worry about the fact that my avatar is apparently wants to eat souls?

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's a public service thing, I imagine.