1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu Hardy Heron, #@$& ATI Radeon 7000 and xorg-server...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bornagainpenguin, May 28, 2008.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I have an ATI Radeon 7000 which performs wonderfully in the Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) release of Ubuntu which performs so piss poor I actually find myself doubting its the same OS! EnvyNG is not an option, nor is simply sticking with Gutsy...I need to know if someone could walk me through a way to install the Gutsy version of xorg in Hardy or somehow pin the Gutsy xorg and then upgrade to Hardy from there...

The computer is going to be going to people with limited understanding of computers (mostly web browsing and email) so I need something that will work well and can be updated with a minimum of fuss. Seeing the button in Update manager urging them to move to Hardy would just mean headaches later, which is why I'm trying to get them on Hardy now with the earlier drivers.

Can anyone help?

--bornagainpenguin

PS: $#@& ATI and their ^@%# about supporting their own products...

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If it's going to people without technical know-how, why not just install XP?

3. bornagainpenguin

Because I don't love them enough to go to jail for them?

Besides this box originally came with Win98SE...and while I could go ahead and toss that back on (sticker is on the side of the box) I wouldn't feel right given all the spyware and viruses you can catch just by visiting a site these days...

So any suggestions on how to fix my problem?

--bornagainpenguin

4. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Go to the Ubuntu IRC channel. Go the their forum, in the hardware section, and click on the compatibility list. Post your problem. Ect.

5. bornagainpenguin

I have posted in their forum. I got yelled at for "bumping too often" despite the fact there are numerous threads on this subject and no working answers to the question. A few of the threads I saw had the single post and hadn't been replied to in over a week!

As far as HCL, this card works perfectly with the open source drivers on Gutsy Gibbon, its only when I try to use it under Hardy Heron there are problems. I really don't think its the card when you consider that. I think its a driver\software issue.

--bornagainpenguin

6. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Once again, I suggest the IRC channel. I get the most help from it by far.

7. bornagainpenguin

I *really* don't like IRC though...

Hmm...I may end up having to start using it sooner or later if I keep on wanting to work with Linux...

But...but...I *really* don't like IRC...

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I've already installed Gutsy at this point so I guess this thread can die for now...at least until I get my own box like this and then the headaches can start all over again...