1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned [Unchained] by [lucifael75] - [NC-17]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by dragon_89, May 28, 2008.

1. dragon_89

dragon_89 Squib

Title: Unchained
    Author: lucifael75
    Rating: NC-17
    Genre: Crossover,Erotica,Humor
    DLP Category: Independent Harry
    Pairing: Harry/Lavander and/or Tonks - maybe more (not specified)
    Summary: [Author's summary : Harry finally decides to take back his freedom.]
    Link: http://fanfiction.lucifael.com/viewstory.php?sid=20&ageconsent=ok&warning=5 (Link fixed Nov/2012 -Sesc)

OK so I found this story yesterday. It had only one chapter and now today it has 3 already so the update rate is great..every chapter has +- 10k words :D.
    Basically Harry gets some powers (well I would say super powers) and lets his hair down a bit. the great thing in this story (for me) is that even if it is super-power harry, the author rains it down a bit so that harry has some limitations... anyway please read and say what you think :)

cheers

2. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

I couldn't read more than a few paragraphs and I already found like 2-3 cliche's. 1/5 from me

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

What is with this new fad of putting smilies in thread titles. It makes things look untidy.

As for the fic, I can't read it because I'm not a member and have no intention of signing up to ficwad. The summery suggests it won't be very good anyway

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Here's the direct link to the first chapter, it works without being logged in.

... but ... but ... there ain't no smut in there ...!

Seriously, wrong expectations here. I mean what do you think of when you start reading a story that says nc-17 and Harry/Lavender? :rolleyes:

So, it does have a plot. And it has clichés, but not all of them. Maybe that is something to be grateful for nowadays ... or maybe I've been reading too much of ChemicalGenocide's story.

Harry gets abused by Vernon, but at least it only takes up a few lines and he isn't left half-dead. He goes to Gringotts, but doesn't meet Griphook. He gets the usual truckload of money, but at least I don't have to wade through a three-page list with holdings and estates and figures. He is in Diagon Alley, but there is no shopping spree.

See what I mean?

... yes, I'm actually considering to give it bonus points because it has not all the chlichés when it could have.

Other than that, the speaking to dragons bit came out of nowhere and seemed completely superfluous. And even if it becomes important later on, it was poorly introduced.

Talk about random ideas.

Then we have a night out with Lavender and Parvati, which was entertaining because I was in the mood, and days at the Burrow which was meh. I don't care all that much for Harry inventing things. Also, huh? The way I read it, it first went like: Electric things don't work while surrounded by magic, because magic fucks things up. So, he ponders about shielding it from magic with ... magic?

And there where small things that annoyed me in every chapter, but I'm to lazy to look and check what they were.

However, bonus points for a hot Lavender and no love, only both wanting some fun. That could end at any second though, because he stated it would be Harry/Harem, and the excuse for all authors I know of to make that work is that Harry has so "amazingly much love", and loves them all equally.

Eh, now where did that puke-smiley go?

But yeah, until that (or something with an similar amout of fail) happens, I think I'll follow it. I hope he leaves it at Harry/Lavender.

All in all, I think it's 2.5 - 3/5

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  5. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Eh... It's... average. I didn't hate it, but I didn't get any real enjoyment out of it either. Bland, that's the word i'm looking for. Just doesn't really draw me in at all, and I don't have any real desire to continue reading.

3/5

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Skipped a bit down. A goblin was calling Harry his lord. Fail.

EDIT: he also speaks to dragons. Just no. Perhaps it fits in Serious Business, but not anything else.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

This is a perfect example of a guilty pleasure fic. Still, I feel it will get better someday, so I give it a tentative 3/5.

8. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Boring, I stopped reading part way through the first chapter. There's nothing specifically wrong with it, grammar etc seem ok, its just...boring.

2/5

9. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

This story was originally written years ago. What we consider cliches were a little different back then. I lost track of this some time ago and can't wait until he gets it back up to 9 or so. I give it a 3.5/5.

10. i like boats

i like boats Squib

11. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

This guy's my guilty pleasure. All his stories are clichéd as hell and chock full of wish fulfilment and stupidly!powerful!Harry/Xander/male lead. But still fun, somehow.

Been keeping track through his Yahoo group. At the moment, it seems, he's working on a HP/Doctor Who crossover. And Harry, through the magic of time travel, is now older than the Doctor.

Yeah. It's kinda like that.

12. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

All I can say is that to me this looks like Harry spitting out the most terrible pick up lines one after the other and making a complete jackass out of himself, which I can't read for more than a chapter. 1/5.

13. Sesc

...he said, yet sadly, the wise words went unheard.

It read the next chapters at TTHM, and it gets better.

However, it also gets worse.

It went downhill the minute overambitious author No. 5293 decided that merely fun, a Super!Harry and a casual fling for a pairing wasn't enough, no, there had to be some more "depth" there, there had to be Drama, a Harry-Lavender-Ron-Hermione-Drama.

Also, he had not yet started on Harry/Harem, and now that wouldn't do at all, so lo and behold, he decided to make Lavender jealous, bitchy and spiteful and start a fight over nothing, so that she was out of the way and he could finally get started on that which is the tool of the virgin fanboy and the product of a mind, that couldn't decide what to do, so he did it all.

The worst thing is, I can't even argue that Lavender is OOC, because from all we know from Canon, I can see her act that way. However, it also completely negates the solid groundwork he laid for her in his own story -- he build her character up, and completely destroyed her later.

I hate that. Maybe it is realistic, and eventually the natural outcome of a relationship like that. However, maybe, I didn’t want to read about realistic. I was fine as it was, thanks.

Afterwards, the Harry/Many thing comes into play, and I have to say, rarely have I realized that crassly how very much the whole is not the sum of its pieces. Concerning the pairings, it's like you have in front of you chocolate, crisps, and all the yummy things, but they're all on one plate, mashed together, and while taking a bite, you realise that while each is delicious on its own, all together at once they taste quite bad.

I like each pairing. It works as a Harry/Lavender story. It works as a Harry/Fleur story. It works as Harry/Narcissa -- but together it does not work. It doesn't make the story three times as good, just worse.

Or in figures: I'd give 4/5 for Harry/Lavender, 4/5 as well for Harry/Narcissa, 3.5/5 for Harry/Fleur, 3/5 for Harry/Tracey and Harry/Daphne.

And together, that makes for something around 2/5.

And what makes it that much more frustrating is that each taken for itself, it is that good. Up to the obvious point Harry/Lavender is refreshing, because it's casual. No true love shit, just two teenagers having fun. That is so rare in fanfics you have to search it with a reading-glass. Or Harry/Narcissa -- it makes for a good H/C -- in another story. And so on.

Purely for wasting that potential, it gets another -0.5

And finally, in regards to Lavender, I think we ought to hate her by now.

However, I don't.

Instead, I hate the author. And that's the last strike.

1/5.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  14. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

Siege (his name on TTH) has been a guilty pleasure of mine since i've started reading Buffy Fanfiction, an age or 2 ago. He writes stupidly overpowered male characters without any real conflict.
    As such this story is classic for him.
    Personally i'd give it a 3/5 mostly because
    a) at least his grammar is good
    b) sometimes i am in the mood for overpowered Harry fics ;)

15. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Man, fuck you. You don't like the story, fine. But unless you've got a reason beyond LOL HAREMS ARE FOR VIRGINS fuck off with the author hate.

16. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Damn, I agree. I wanted to read a fic where harry fucks lav for once. Why wont any one write a good smut fic with the hogwarts school slut lav?

17. Sesc

Lol, I was angry when I wrote that, so what did you expect? And it got not all that much to do with the Harem thing. As I said, first the author tore an up til then perfectly alright character to shreds. I don't like that -- not just here, in general. And afterwards, it all but screams from every line that I'm supposed to hate Lavender now. Only, I don't want to, so hating the author is the next best thing -- for trying to make me hate Lavender. Does that make sense? I thought it did when I wrote it.

If the author stopped doing that, we would be well on our way to become best friends again.

Well, I was, as well, but I almost wish there was no conflict. If I read an overpowered Harry, I want to have fun. So what Harry had with Lavender fitted that exactly, and that was why I liked it so much. What I don't want to read when I want to have fun, however, is that much relationship-Drama. It's the very anthithesis of fun. So that's what got me all huffy.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

See, others may disagree but, I see nothing wrong with that. I've been reading this on TTHM and it hasn't killed me through lack of substance or anything.

Not every story has to be War and Peace, sometimes you just want to engage the cruise control, relax, and read the equivalent of a popcorn flick.

19. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

If fanfiction gets you angry you have a few problems.

20. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Well done smut is quite rare these days, ever since Mrriddler, LT2000, Yarrgh! and many others stopped dabbling in the NC-17 genre. Vash's update speed isn't the greatest nowadays, either.

The beginning does this story a huge disservice, the writing is actually pretty good in the later chapters, for the most part.

The author handled most of the pairings extremely well, even if Harry/Cho had some serious BDSM potential, before he decided to go for humour.

The fact that Harry didn't have sex until chapter 9 was extremely refreshing. Most smut pieces are just quick and dirty, with little substance and development. Weaknesses of the generic harem fic are also fairly difficult to find in here.

The story includes a lot of interesting concepts, they managed to keep me on my toes through all the filler.

This fic is far from flawless, however. Harry's strange control over magic requires a rather large suspension of belief. The dragon stuff could have been handled better, and the sudden influx of Parselmouths is jarring. The info about dragons and harems would have been more believable if we had seen an example of it in person.

The author also makes the mistake of throwing too many plots and relationships into the story, he should have waited a bit with the Daphne/Tracy angle.

The story is quite entertaining on the whole, at least while the reader can put the problems aside.

As a possible candidate for the Restricted Section,this gets 4/5 from me.